Will I have to cancel my trip to Destin in May?

Stratman50th

Loving all things Fort Wilderness!
Pondering this because I'm working from home and bored at the moment.
Knowing that pretty much everyone else here is stuck in the house too I'm posting this to give you all something to ponder over as well. Oh, I realize that none of you have a crystal ball but this thread is here to give everyone something to do. I'll take everybody's opinion who wants to post! Just thinking even if the park is open the restaurants and things to do might not be. I can stay parked in my garage for free and not have to drive for 7 hours to sit in the coach. with nothing to do.
The plus side, I'm still completely planning on going to the Fort in October. Hitting the app every day trying for that elusive Ohana reservation.

Well, I am still hoping this thing goes like the flu and is done by Easter-ish time. Hoping for early May re-opening of things, if not late April. We had WDW trip booked with DVC points for May 28-June 4. I cancelled and booked DVC at Hilton Head instead for May 16-20. I know that is earlier and probably dumb. But I had to use points in May as they expire May 31 (June UY) and HHI didn't have the availability later in May or I'd have booked that. If I'd have kept the WDW trip I'd need to buy tickets/APs (for 3 of us, as I already have 1 myself) by March 31st as that would be FP making day. And then buy airfare for 4 of us. Then if they extend WDW closure and cancel me, I'd have APs and airfare that I'd rather not spend that money on right now for it to just sit there for another time. We can drive to HHI and no tickets needed.

My DH is switching jobs and we are relocating next month too. So he couldn't really take off time to go to WDW. So I kinda needed to cancel. But our points would expire so I figure I can bring my mom and DDs to HHI for a girls only trip. And if we decide not to go I can gift the room (2BR for 4 nights) to another family member. And I released a Poly studio as well as an AKV club level studio that someone who just cancelled a March/April trip might be able to grab.

Now, though, I am seeing folks mention things being closed down through June. Uggghhh. A) I don't want to lose my points and I'd really love to go to HHI....and B) most importantly, not sure our economy can handle a shut down for THAT long. I know folks who own small businesses and they are about to lose everything. It's heartbreaking. It was like almost 2 weeks ago when the CDC recommended an 8 week shut down. I really really hope another 6 weeks is all that's needed....less would be even better. I really hope it's like the flu and by mid April that always seems to wane. So, maybe 3 more weeks.

Pondering this because I'm working from home and bored at the moment.
Knowing that pretty much everyone else here is stuck in the house too I'm posting this to give you all something to ponder over as well. Oh, I realize that none of you have a crystal ball but this thread is here to give everyone something to do. I'll take everybody's opinion who wants to post! Just thinking even if the park is open the restaurants and things to do might not be. I can stay parked in my garage for free and not have to drive for 7 hours to sit in the coach. with nothing to do.
The plus side, I'm still completely planning on going to the Fort in October. Hitting the app every day trying for that elusive Ohana reservation.

Just depends on what part of the month it is. I live in the Pensacola area, all of our beaches are close currently :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!