Will Disney Tokyo Keep Splash Mountain?

Will Disney Tokyo Keep Splash Mountain?

• Yes

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
Seriously, the amount of 'who can piss the furthest' in this thread... Bragging if you have been to Disneyland Tokyo, often or not and if you live there is really not relevant. Even if we both live there and go to the park daily, we can still have a discussion about what we THINK will happen. And it is possible to agree or disagree. (I've visited all the Disney parks in the world, if it matters to you).

Yes, I get that Tokyo Disney is build for the Japanese and I know about Kawaii culture. However, that doesn't mean that Japan doesn't have a problem with racism, it's not about the Americans visiting the park in this case. What I have been reading is that there are BLM protests in Japan and the conversation about racism in Japan is starting. More and more is written about racism, maybe not specifically against black people, but also Koreans in Japan etc.
And that conversation in the long run can influence a decision to change Splash Mountain, so I agree with you and the offer it will take time and it will not happen tomorrow. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's the main driver to change the ride in the future. And maybe not into Princess and the Frog, but there are other options.
No, we must preserve African American and West African culture and keep the Bre'r Rabbit brand.
It's pretty much the only non white folklore brand at Magic Kingdom.

Seriously, the amount of 'who can piss the furthest' in this thread... Bragging if you have been to Disneyland Tokyo, often or not and if you live there is really not relevant. Even if we both live there and go to the park daily, we can still have a discussion about what we THINK will happen. And it is possible to agree or disagree. (I've visited all the Disney parks in the world, if it matters to you).

Yes, I get that Tokyo Disney is build for the Japanese and I know about Kawaii culture. However, that doesn't mean that Japan doesn't have a problem with racism, it's not about the Americans visiting the park in this case. What I have been reading is that there are BLM protests in Japan and the conversation about racism in Japan is starting. More and more is written about racism, maybe not specifically against black people, but also Koreans in Japan etc.
And that conversation in the long run can influence a decision to change Splash Mountain, so I agree with you and the offer it will take time and it will not happen tomorrow. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's the main driver to change the ride in the future. And maybe not into Princess and the Frog, but there are other options.

It's not about who can piss the furthest but there are different cultures and approaches at play here and it's important that everyone understands that. I'm really hoping that OLC just tells Iger to pound sand after "considering" a PatF attraction. Would love that just because I think Iger has too much power and would love to see him humbled.

Adding onto this, TDL has a lot of sponsored rides as well. It might be rude to just literally ask to retheme an entire attraction that many people love. Anytime you go there you will see "Presented By" and even the attractions page on the TDL site has "Presented By" for basically every ride that helps get funded. Also, there is even a restaurant very close to Splash mountain that has similar design to the ride queue, so it would have to be rethemed or demolished. I know WDW Pro is not a good source, but allegedly there has been talk that Disney tried to get Tokyo on board as much as possible and they refused, straining the relationship of OLC and Disney (just a rumor). Obviously we won't know, but given that it has been 3 weeks now and there's no news tells that this is a major redesign. Splash Mountain costed $80 million to make in 1989 (which is about $186 million USD today) meaning that it's a huge project. It may cost more due to the new technologies and if so, it could very well be a $200+ million ride.

I will say though, having one version of the original would bring exclusivity to Tokyo which would be super interesting to see if tourism would go up due to it. Remember that Tokyo Disney wanted the best of the best versions of rides when they were being built, which could be a reason why they are holding out, to see reception or whatnot. Who knows.

Last edited:

A year later and I guess we may actually be seeing Tokyo keeping theirs for a while. I was thinking about it recently and I think thematically there's no way it would fit. Critter Country in Tokyo Disney was specifically designed for Splash Mountain, and there's no real places that have any New Orleans design. Interesting nonetheless though, I wonder if in the end, Tokyo will either keep it or get an exclusive retheme. Which I think Disney doesn't want because that would put them in a competitive advantage. It's interesting to think that Disney knows they can't completely rid of the source material but also had the audacity to try to make OLC pay for the retheme of Splash Mountain when they were the ones who proposed the idea.

OLC was never considering a change to the ride. Until Fujifilm is invited to the meetings, any discussion with Disney is only to show respect for the business relationship, not an expression of any interest. OLC has no reason to drag itself into controversy and I think it's culturally insensitive of Disney to project its own ideas of what should be done about social issues in the US on Japan.

A Duffy retheme also makes no sense as Duffy is only at DisneySea and adding Duffy to Disneyland would create more confusion.

I think it will be a bit hilarious if this backfires on Disney, since it seems so far Japan has exclusivity that WDW or DL won't have. Just wait until people realize they can experience the original attraction in some sort of way.

I think it will be a bit hilarious if this backfires on Disney, since it seems so far Japan has exclusivity that WDW or DL won't have. Just wait until people realize they can experience the original attraction in some sort of way.
I seriously doubt there will be a bunch of people clamoring to go to Tokyo instead of DLR or WDW so they can experience the “original” Splash. DL successfully updated ToR to GOTG. I think they can have the same success with Splash.

We are going on dependant visas with a trip planned to Disney Sea and TDR. I am happy to see both parks again as the rides are a different on some of them from our USA parks. Yes, we will go on splash as it is really hot there and a water ride will be fun.

We are going on dependant visas with a trip planned to Disney Sea and TDR. I am happy to see both parks again as the rides are a different on some of them from our USA parks. Yes, we will go on splash as it is really hot there and a water ride will be fun.
Supposedly, you don't really get wet at all on TDL Splash.

Supposedly, you don't really get wet at all on TDL Splash.

You can get quite wet in the front two seats of the log but not as much in the back seats. Water doesn't leak in from the sides as much as Splash Mountain in Anaheim so there isn't much of a wet shoe problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!