Will a family of 5 with deluxe tastes like Riverside?

Karenj2

Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog!
Don't get me wrong - generally I can stay anywhere on site and be happy. We have 3 kids and now that they'll be 5, 5 & 7, we can't fit in the values.

Last time we all went, we stayed at AKL (concierge level - I have no idea how I convinced hubby to go for that!!). I'd love to go back now that the bus system wont be so arduous (we had 2 strollers!), but my goodness it's expensive!!! (The very last time was a quick trip with just our oldest & we stayed at Wilderness Lodge.)

One of the hotels that came up was PO-Riverside, and my coworker said she loved it there, but her kids are much older. Do you think we'd like it? How are the busses?

I think you'll like it! Good pool, lots of room for kids to run around. My only issue with the mods is not having interior corridors, which particularly bothers us in bad weather. But the resort is great!

We too are a family of five. We have stayed numerous times at POR.

Things I like about POR: boat to Disney Springs, food court, ability to ride boat to POFQ for beignets, and pool area. It is a beautiful resort to take a stroll around.

Things I don't like: multiple bus stops after a long day at the parks. We have eaten twice at the TS restaurant and both times we were disappointed. I would also like the opportunity as a family of five to stay in the Mansions side.

I just love all the Disney resorts! I hope you have a great trip!

I normally stay deluxe. We did stay at POR once, when we booked last minute. It's a very pretty resort. The pool is fun. The food court offers so many choices compared to Deluxe. The boat to DS is nice. The main "dislike" for me is the outside hallways. I didn't feel comfortable keeping our shades open cause people could walk by and look into our room. We were also there during a tropical storm. Every time we left our room, we got soaked.

I would say, give it a try. I don't think you'll "hate" it. If you don't care for it, next time go back to a deluxe.

Yes, the rooms are really expensive now.

Did you consider renting points for DVC? It is less expensive to stay that way. It does have drawbacks such as having to pay up front and inability to cancel and get a refund.

POR is a gorgeous moderate resort. We stay deluxe most of the time these days, but still stay here sometimes and always enjoy staying at POR. The rooms are small, but not much smaller than those at AKL or WL. This is a resort with lots to do and access to 2 themed pools as well as a number of 'quiet' pools. We don't mind the extra stops for the bus at all - it ensures that bus stops are nearby to all the rooms. We do pay extra for the preferred location rooms to have easy access to the main resort area.

We stayed at Yacht Club in August one year, then Port Orleans a few months later in December, so we have done the "downgrade". We loved Port Orleans! The pool was great, and we really enjoyed the quick service food court. We stayed in a preferred room, so it was a short walk to refill our mugs or get some food. My husband really enjoyed the bar too. The boat over to Disney springs is nice too.

Riverside is our 2nd favorite resort. It has a nice pool and a some nice quiet pools. The boat to Disney Springs is almost a ride in itself. The only downsides (and they are minor) a LOT of bus stops and it can get annoying at night and Boatwrights is hit or miss. I have had incredible meals there and a couple that only be called food if your feeling generous.

I think you will love POR. Beautiful resort, amazing pool, the food court is great and the boat to DTD is nice. It's our favorite, I would honestly rather stay there than deluxe. I also think you won't notice a huge difference in room size. We moved from Wilderness Lodge to Riverside last summer and actually found the Riverside set up better. The only bummer is not having a balcony.

Yes, the rooms are really expensive now.

Did you consider renting points for DVC? It is less expensive to stay that way. It does have drawbacks such as having to pay up front and inability to cancel and get a refund.

POR is a gorgeous moderate resort. We stay deluxe most of the time these days, but still stay here sometimes and always enjoy staying at POR. The rooms are small, but not much smaller than those at AKL or WL. This is a resort with lots to do and access to 2 themed pools as well as a number of 'quiet' pools. We don't mind the extra stops for the bus at all - it ensures that bus stops are nearby to all the rooms. We do pay extra for the preferred location rooms to have easy access to the main resort area.

I am looking into renting points too - I just have to convince hubby... :) (And not just because of the deluxe/moderate thing, but one of my daughters is a VERY picky eater, and I was thinking it'd be nice to have a kitchen(ette) to have breakfast & an occasional other meal in the room.

We love POR. We have stayed at WL, AKL, Poly, GF and would never hesitate to stay at POR. I actually like the outside hallways. It seems quieter at POR - you don't hear people talking, slamming doors and children screaming down the hallways as much. Other than when it's raining, I enjoy opening my door to the outside. I'm a northern girl and I enjoy opening my door to WARM weather when we travel.

Deluxe loving family of five here and while POR is nice we prefer Coronado much more. I agree with others....check into renting points. Good value for your money with the extra room.

We like POR and since we've moved to mods, we haven't stayed at a value since. My girls were 7 & 9 when we stayed there last and they loved the Royal Room River view that we stayed in. We loved POR for the peace and quiet, the grounds are so pretty, the pools are nice, the boat ride, the surrey bikes, the room. I love that when we go back there midday it's serene and relaxing and to me feels like it really offers a break from the park. The negative is the outside corridors but I will say, we never heard any excessive noise on the river view side at all. A lot of people do think the buses are a drawback but we had no problems catching a bus to/from the parks at all times, early morning, midday, and park closing. Yes the bus may be full but it's not a deal breaker for us. I think your kids will have a blast no matter where you stay. I think POR is a great resort for kids.

Agreed, POR is very nice, but if you have tasted the deluxes, it won't be quite as good. You'll have to be in the bayou area to get 2 queens plus the murphy bed, as they aren't in the mansion section.

I would second the suggestion to rent DVC points, provided the potential reservation is several months out. You may be able to get a larger unit, in a moderate plus level resort.

We enjoy POR, but would take Saratoga over POR, and with renting points, Saratoga usually ends up cheaper.

Stayed at POR in 2008+2012 so this is dated. QS is better than the 4 deluxes we have stayed at. We found the buses less convenient than deluxe at the end of the night leaving a park. The walk to your room from the bus stop (pick from 4 difference stops) was much closer than the deluxes for us. I liked the grounds. The room will obviously be more cramped with five of you but doable at their age. I have only stayed at a value one night. The difference between value and moderate seemed greater than moderate to deluxe.

Our family enjoys POR. One thing your kids might really enjoy is the fact that they can use both it and POFQ pools, and there is just a short walk between the two. The rooms are lovely and the grounds are absolutely gorgeous. It's nice to take a pleasant boat ride over to Disney Springs, as well.

Of course, as others have mentioned, if you are really wanting to go deluxe, renting points is an option. We do that rather often. My parents are actually renting points for Copper Creek (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) this fall for cheaper than almost any of the rooms at POR or POFQ. A standard room at POR would have been cheaper than the villa, but any upgrade (river view, preferred room, etc.) made it more expensive than the villa.

Agreed, POR is very nice, but if you have tasted the deluxes, it won't be quite as good. You'll have to be in the bayou area to get 2 queens plus the murphy bed, as they aren't in the mansion section.

I would second the suggestion to rent DVC points, provided the potential reservation is several months out. You may be able to get a larger unit, in a moderate plus level resort.

We enjoy POR, but would take Saratoga over POR, and with renting points, Saratoga usually ends up cheaper.
Agree with this. We stay in 1Br Dvc Villas and I’d rather not go than be crammed into a moderate room with two queens and a Murphy bed. If you are used to deluxe, POR will be a significant downgrade in amenities, but more importantly, in comfort. Renting points may be a way to bridge the price gap.

I've stayed at POFQ (only visited POR) but I have done the downgrade from deluxe to mod and I think you'll be just fine. Our first two family trips with all three kids we stayed at BC CL and then BWI. After deciding I wanted to do Disney more often and we'd need to tighten our budget, we opted for CBR and were horribly nervous about it. Honestly, that first stay was one of our best trips yet and we fell in love with the resort. The kid really loved it as well and we went back again last year. We didn't feel cramped and we still saved over what we'd spend renting points as well. I don't find the point rental to be as good of a deal for families of 5. Still cheaper than rack rate, but still much higher than going mod.

The POR grounds were gorgeous and the boat to Disney Springs is nice to have.

I think if you go into it knowing what the differences will be you'll have a great time and you can use that savings for something else.

Thanks for all of your opinions!! Ironically, I have a friend on FB that is currently staying in POR, so I asked her to give me details when she got home...

I'm really not THAT much of a deluxe snob, although DH might say that I am. I'm a bit worried about rain, since we're planning on going in August, but I also won't melt if I get wet. ;)

I haven't been to Disney Springs in YEARS, so the proximity to it might be a selling point.

With five, I have priced out renting points, and it's never a cost savings. It's always significantly more than a moderate. There are some studios that sleep five, but they are pricey for studios, and the pull out bed is a no go for us.

We've stayed at the Poly once and POR twice. The grounds are just as nice. Food court is better than Capt. Cooks in variety, but can be absolutely mobbed at peak times. The boat to DS is really nice. Not quite as nice as the boat to MK, but hey. I do miss a balcony, but I actually prefer the outside hallways. We ask for second floor, and find that POR (and CBR) are much quieter than the Poly was. I just can't bring myself to pay for a deluxe after staying at POR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter