Wilderness Lodge - relaxed, low key vibe + various questions

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
I see a lot of posts with people saying WL has a Low key, relaxed vibe compared to POLY for ex. If you stayed at WL, did you feel a low key vibe? How would you describe that? What makes it that way? Did you miss being able to see fireworks from your hotel (especially being so so close to MK)? Also want to know boat or bus to MK from WL?

I guess I am still debating between POLY (old favorite) and WL (never been) for my split with BC (Never been).

I see a lot of posts with people saying WL has a Low key, relaxed vibe compared to POLY for ex. If you stayed at WL, did you feel a low key vibe?

Definitely.

How would you describe that?

Quiet, serene, no hustle and bustle going on. Very easy to find quiet, peaceful spots to just relax.

What makes it that way?

The nature setting, not as many people around, very few non WL guests at the resort.

Did you miss being able to see fireworks from your hotel (especially being so so close to MK)?

No, because you can see them from WL. Although farther away, it's still a great view.

Also want to know boat or bus to MK from WL?

In a hurry? Bus. Want a very peaceful and beautiful trip over? Boat.

Have been DVC at BRV for a long time. Love the feeling of being away from the park craziness. Have never missed not seeing the fireworks except now with the trees cut and expansion there is visibility. Always try to catch the electric water pagent .Have never taken the bus to MK always the boat.Its a wonderful way to start and end your day.

I agree with everything @dansdad said.

We stayed there last year in May and had a great view of fireworks from our room. We stayed club level...we thought it would be easier for our first trip with our toddler (then 18 months old). We are breakfast and dinner there almost every day. If I ever stay club level again, I’ll probably go back there.

We are trying out the Poly (standard room) this time to do something different, but I did seriously consider booking WL again.

As you can see from my signature, I’ve stayed at several Disney resorts, but if you forced me to choose a favorite, I’d probably pick WL.

No matter the time of year I’ve stayed at WL, it never feels like people are on top of each other. I feel relaxed strolling around the grounds and the lobby. Then Geyser Point is a great way to round out your night, you can see the water pageant. I imagine the Halloween and Christmas party fireworks are great from the areas mentioned above too. I’m at AKL right now and it doesn’t feel as relaxing to me despite the layout being so similar.

WL all the way for me!

Love the WL! I agree 100% with everything dansdad posted. The Poly is our favorite overall with more of a hustle & bustle atmosphere, but the WL is a little quieter with very relaxing/serene surroundings :).

We stayed at WL in January and the Contemporary last week. Both are wonderful. I have to say going down to get my morning coffee at the CR has the Disney hustle and bustle right from the time you go down with Chef Mickey and the monorail. It really makes you excited. BUT the WL is peaceful and calming. Walking around the resort is just beautiful. You can see the Fireworks from Geyser Point and the beach. The boat was wonderful and just adds to the fun. The POLY is a wonderful safe choice for you because I am sure it feels like coming home. My husband loved the WL and said he would have bought DVC there, that is how much we enjoyed our stay. So I have say you have two wonderful choices and I promise you will not be disappointed with WL and of course the POLY (stayed twice and always a wonderful stay).

I stayed at the WL a few years ago and enjoyed it. Our room was originally nearthelobby which was too noisy for me. The room they moved us to smelled of mold and the bellhop who noticed it went to tell front desk. Our room ended up having a partial pool view and we were happy. I liked the pool area, it was realxing.

We really enjoy the Wilderness when we have styed there. I agree with the more relaxed feel. Although, I think it has lost some of that with the expansion over the last few years with the large DVC addition. It doesn't feel overly crowded, but definitely larger and busier than in the past. Still a great place to stay.

We stayed at WL only once back in 2015. It was peaceful, definitely not as busy as the Poly. My husband liked the setting, but disliked the room size. My DS at the time liked the theme also, but disliked the pool and the slide compared to the other resorts we normally stayed in at Disney. I was fine with the theme, pool, and I loved the quiet areas. I could always find a place without someone already there to just sit. I didn't like the boat though. As previous poster said, if you are trying to get to MK quickly take the bus. The boat took forever. No matter what resort you choose, have s great trip!

I see a lot of posts with people saying WL has a Low key, relaxed vibe compared to POLY for ex. If you stayed at WL, did you feel a low key vibe? How would you describe that? What makes it that way? Did you miss being able to see fireworks from your hotel (especially being so so close to MK)? Also want to know boat or bus to MK from WL?

I guess I am still debating between POLY (old favorite) and WL (never been) for my split with BC (Never been).
There are a lot of standard and nature view rooms that have a good fireworks view. One of the best fireworks view is from the hallway near the elevator. They pipe in the music at Geyser Point

I've stayed there a few times, all before the "big remodel". I just loved the resort. I love the atmosphere, background music. I don't think they do anymore, but they used to play the most wonderful soundtrack by the pool. It was so relaxing. My stays was during the summer, so I really appreciated being under 1 roof during the rain storms. (I got soaked several time while staying at the Poly going for food/drinks.) It's also fairly small, so the walk to almost anywhere in the resort was short. When I stayed in a North room, by the Otter pond, I could see the FW's from my balcony. Not the full show, but enough. (This was before the cut down trees do build the cabins.) I liked the boats to MK, CR and FW.

The monorail loop creates its own level of activity. The WL is detached from the core icons. The boat trip from WL to MK is different and seems longer than the trip from PR to MK. PR, CR and GF gather a larger crowd in the evenings and daytime of people who wonder/wish or checking out the resort or dining creating a level of traffic that is highly noticeable. PR gets a lo of public traffic too. WL entails an out of the way excursion, but still gathers a level of people for specific dining experiences which currently appear to be under review/change. We found the WL lodging experience to be unique and detached from the monorail resorts, but still had a heavy amount of foot traffic during specific times of the day from non-guest related to dining and observing the theming. Its a good resort choice but transportation options are not up to the level of the CR, PR or GF.

The WL lobby is so quiet and peaceful. You can just sit and relax. We love the Poly resort, but the Grand Ceremonial House is very loud and busy with check-in for Ohana and the luau. I hope with the recently announced character meal at Artist Point, it doesn't change the atmosphere of the lobby.

Just returned from our first stay at WL. We just stayed at the Contemporary in December and had a really great time so I was worried that the WL would not be able to compare. I was mostly worried about the fact that we wouldn't be able to walk to MK or use the monorail. However, after this stay all fears were put to rest. We enjoyed how quiet it was and how it was close to the action but far enough removed to not seem chaotic at all. We had a view of the fireworks from our room and could see the electrical parade as well. Our midday breaks were refreshing and then we'd take the boat back to MK for the night. Even at the end of the night there was never a long line to take the boat back to the resort. It's definately hard to beat the proximity of the monorail resorts to MK but we really loved coming back to a quieter resort to sleep and swim at. We loved it so much that we booked our next trip there and are considering buying DVC there as well.

The WL lobby is so quiet and peaceful. You can just sit and relax. We love the Poly resort, but the Grand Ceremonial House is very loud and busy with check-in for Ohana and the luau. I hope with the recently announced character meal at Artist Point, it doesn't change the atmosphere of the lobby.

What is that? I was not aware of that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter