Wild Turkeys Terrorizing Neighborhood

A NJ poster here a couple years ago said that the terror turkeys aren't very edible or tasty. :crazy2:
::yes:: Actually I've heard before that wild turkeys are a far-cry from the domesticated (and genetically engineered) ones we're used to eating. Another fun fact is that it's the males that have the big breasts we all so enjoy.

We have turkeys in our yard all the time. Never had them on my roof but on my deck, stairs, etc. Luckily, we also have coyotes, fox and fisher cats and a bob cat roaming around to help keep their numbers in check. No, I don’t live in the country, rather the suburbs outside of Boston.
I’m just north of Boston and the turkeys are everywhere! They can be very aggressive. Don’t corner them and keep small pets inside.
Another "suburbs of Boston" person who has seen lots of them! No issues in my own town recently, but we had quite a problem a few years ago. Lately, I see them a couple of times a week in a town where I work, and my in-laws get them in their back yard fairly often.

TurkeyTrivia:
https://www.thespruce.com/fun-facts-about-wild-turkeys-387112
Ha! Same general area and we are loaded with them too! The above pics look like my front yard

Recently I was sleeping early in the morning and heard some weird noises. I looked out my window into the back yard and saw a turkey at one of our birdfeeders - which happens to be inside a fenced area (kennel). I figured it flew/jumped the fence (as I’ve seen them do before to get into the yard), but no - I watched as it flew up onto my roof and over into the front yard! :scared: That was a first!

We also have a lot of coyotes near us but it doesn’t really seem to affect their numbers. Thankfully they are more afraid of us and the dog than they are aggressive.

We used to have some that were a bit aggressive. Well, towards cars. They refused to get out of the road and would sort of charge at the car. Would have almost a traffic jam going in our little area.

My bil hunts turkey and they eat it all the time. It has to be cooked a particular way and it does taste different. I think he usually fries it and just the breast meat. He probably marinates it in something to take out the gamey taste. I know milk helps that in some meats.

We used to have some that were a bit aggressive. Well, towards cars. They refused to get out of the road and would sort of charge at the car. Would have almost a traffic jam going in our little area.

My bil hunts turkey and they eat it all the time. It has to be cooked a particular way and it does taste different. I think he usually fries it and just the breast meat. He probably marinates it in something to take out the gamey taste. I know milk helps that in some meats.
Those Turkeys don't know how to "flip the bird" and get out of the way when we honk at em.

I wonder if the reason we don't have problems with them being aggressive is both the predators - we do see the numbers of the local flocks flux up and down or the fact that the road in front of my house is a major road (speed limit is 35 but people frequently drive 55 or more) and a couple of them have been hit by cars and killed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter