Wife and I have different definitions of "roughing it"

bigredbill

Go Huskers!
When I was younger, I loved to back pack and primitive camp. As I have gotten older, I have found the ground to be a bit hard, and air mattresses not to be that comfortable. My wife, who is a bit younger than me, never found the fondness for primitive camping.

Last year, we decided to buy the travel trailer. We both really enjoy taking it out and I thought we had an agreement on "our" type of camping. However, even with the trailer, we are finding that we each have different definitions of roughing it. We will be moving to Utah next year, and I am looking forward to some boondocking on BLM land there. My wife let me know that anything short of a full hook-up is her idea of roughing it and she is not interested in roughing it.

Argh.

Uh oh...not enough -communication-
Can you get her to agree to try boondocking? maybe alternate between a hook-up night and then a roughing-it night?
This is kind of what I'm dealing with now. The last 2 summers, I have taken my mother along camping with us to a place in Maine- where there are no hook-ups, right at the ocean. I like to pack light, cook over a wood fire and now...she keeps buying things to make our trips..easier? a propane stove, percolator, dish basin and drainer. Just more luggage to haul around! I had to put a cargo carrier into my hitch last summer to transport all the extras!
I feel your pain!

I'm of the same mind as dear wife. But, I'd try it once, better make it good!

Spent many many vacations in a tent roughing it. Went from the cheep air mattress to the expensive aero bed to putting that on a frame so we were off the ground and finally bought a TT. Love it, but miss the tent. I always seem to be looking at them in stores and magazines. Want to do a 3 to 5 night backpacker like we did in the Grand Canyon. I want the best of both worlds. LOL

Joni

Started with tent years ago, my idea now of roughing it is, 1. I left the remote at home and 2. Having a hard time getting a satelite signal!:happytv::rotfl:

and you think this is unusual in what way? :rotfl:

My DH would STILL be roughing it if I didn't have a terrible back problem (six herneated discs),,,,,,

but I finally got him on my side after a night in a borrowed pup :lovestruc

Your dear wife is just a fan of GLAMPING,,,,,rather than camping :laughing:

Hubby and I are the reverse, I love tent camping, granted I do take my camp kitchen with me, but still love my tent. Hubby thinks roughing it is a resort with no pool. He camps with me and I tolerate his desire to stay in a hotel instead. Generally the bottomline is camping is cheaper and he likes saving money. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter