Why or why not Wlv??

soxlovesdisney

Earning My Ears
Going in Aug 2014. We have a while before our 7 mos mark but we want to figure out where we are staying if we can switch. Kids want Wlderness. We stayed there in 06 but not in villas and loved the atmosphere. We will be in a 2bd. Opinions please!

Stayed there for our honeymoon in 2009 & it was amazing! Food choices are good & you can take a boat to the monorail hotels for more dining options. Plus your right close to MK & can take monorail to Epcot! If you want to do a non park day, you can rent water sprites from the marina at WL. They're a blast!

Stayed there for our honeymoon in 2009 & it was amazing! Food choices are good & you can take a boat to the monorail hotels for more dining options. Plus your right close to MK & can take monorail to Epcot! If you want to do a non park day, you can rent water sprites from the marina at WL. They're a blast!

how did you like the villas?

We were just in a studio & I loved the cabin feel. It made me feel like we were out west or something. Did you look at it online? I thought it was beautiful-we had a small kitchenette but in the 2 bedrooms you have a full kitchen. It was our first choice of places to stay when we were choosing hotels back then & just haven't had a chance to go back (always travel with others now). The studio was around the size of regular hotel room but with the huge pine trees you feel like you are secluded. I would choose WLV again in a heartbeat! We've stayed at SSR (2 bedroom & studio) and AMu and as far as theming is concerned, VWL is my favorite! We'll be at BLT May 2014 & for our Dec 2014 trip trying to talk hubby into doing VWL. IMO pick your hotel by theme & location. They're all Disney & all great!! :)
The DVC pool isn't as exciting as the main pool but its all so close you can easily use both. Even in may, we were often the only ones in the hot tub! Hope that helps. If you have any more questions let me know-hope that helps! We go to Disney every year so I can try & help. I

Going in Aug 2014. We have a while before our 7 mos mark but we want to figure out where we are staying if we can switch. Kids want Wlderness. We stayed there in 06 but not in villas and loved the atmosphere. We will be in a 2bd. Opinions please!
If you look at my signature, you will see that I am biased toward VWL. However, I will attempt to address your topic with some modicum of objectivity. ;) As you are already familiar with the Lodge from your stay back in '06, I'll mainly speak to the Villas.

First, the 2BRs are spacious and will allow plenty of room for sprawl. The master BR has a king bed,as well as a separate (and spacious) shower in addition to a jetted tub. Definitely mom's and dad's room! The second BR has two queen beds and its own bathroom with a shower/tub similar to most hotel rooms. In between the two BRs, you will find a full kitchen, utensils, pots/pans, et. al. There is a living room off that kitchen which can serve as the focal point for any meals you might cook in the room or to hang out and watch TV together (there are also TVs in each BR). All 1BRs and 2BRs have a washer/dryer combo, as well, making it easy to wash any items that you might feel the need to clean while there. I run, so before we leave, I usually wash my running shorts, shirts, and socks before packing them to head home.

For me, the theming is relaxing with its hues of dark green, red, and brown. Others find the colors too dark, and although I understand that thinking, I find them soothing and natural. Some posters have criticized the Villas pool for being too boring, but as I don't spend hours upon hours in the pool, I would disagree. In fact, my youngest daughter used to spend countless hours playing in the bubbling springs that flow up from a half dozen spots in the pool. The hot tub there isn't huge, but there is usually plenty of room. However, if a large group gets to it first, as has happened with us a couple of times, then you might have to hit the main pool hot tubs. As previously mentioned, the main pool is a short one-minute walk away toward the main Lodge, and you're perfectly welcome to use that pool, too.

I've heard few complain about the theming at the Villas as it extends the wonderful feel of the main Lodge, so what complaints there are generally tend to revolve around the color scheme or occasionally complaints about the long hallways. I don't find the hallways long at all, especially compared to other DVC resorts (AKL Kidani, for example). The color scheme I've addressed. Finally, in terms of location and views, you will certainly get a view of the trees. In fact, VWL is known for views of trees. However, you can request (and it is just that, a request) a particular area. We usually go for floors 2 through 4 with a view of pool and courtyard area. Those provide you with a glimpse of the lake through the trees. We don't care for bottom floors, nor do we like the dormer balconies on the 5th floor (they have obstructed views due to solid railings, so you have to stand to see anything). In general, plan on seeing trees. ;)

Enjoy your stay!

We stayed in a two bedroom there last year and LOVED it!!! The villa was very roomy and super cozy. My kids loved the villas pool that bubbled and never went to the main pool. The movies on the beach were nice too, just a short walk away. The CM (Connie) that checked us in was a doll and we will always remember her. Another CM was super helpful getting my husbands boarding passes printed for Spirit since he had to head home early. I thought the main lodge was very close for anything and everything we needed. We would stay there again for sure.

There really aren't many things to complain about there. If I had to pick something, it would be the balcony and view. After having a savannah view and a view of DTD, the balcony was underwhelming at VWL. However, it was still beautiful. Plus there are so many viewing areas inside and outside of the resort, we didn't mind at all. We would stay again in a heartbeat. It is my son's favorite.

We stayed there this past November. Really just wanted to check it off as a resort we had stayed in. We were surprised at how much we lovd it. We stayed in a 2 bdrm and were lucky enugh to get an extra large corner room. We loved it! Our balcony was great and we loved the lobby of the DVC building as well as the quiet pool there. The resort is is serene. Would not hesitate to stay there again and the kids actually preferred it to AKV.

Just to add, a thing I loved about VWL is the easy access to beautiful trails for running. Safe, shady, scenic. Both paved and dirt; under trees or along the lake, with a great view of the backside of the Contemporary (not to be confused with the backside of water).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter