Why not to fly in the morning of a cruise

we fly out of Newark, NJ every February. We have had cancellations and delays the past two years.
I monitored the weather and had to move our flights twice. One day we got on the last flight out before
they closed Newark Airport. Needless to say, we add two or three night before the cruise when we
fly in February. In 2019 we might add 3 days before.
Even flying in the night before can also be risky. We were on the next to last flight out of Newark on
JB and the luggage for the entire flight from Newark was not put on the plane. People going on the cruise
the next day were going nuts. JB put the luggage on the last flight out from Newark and it arrived around midnight.
We were staying at the Hyatt but other folks were going to drive to PC. It was a mess.

Odd events can ruin a trip. Thought all bases were covered. Supposed to leave on a Sunday. Saturday morning got a text saying flight on Sunday was cancelled. This was in Sept - no snow or unusual weather. Leaving Albuquerque to get to Virginia Beach. The problem - crazy man tried to blow up the air traffic control center near Chicago. Took me until Tues to get a flight out. I vote for getting to port city a couple days ahead of time - depends on availability of alternate transportation.

I know that weekend very well....! We were supposed to fly home from WDW out of Orlando on Friday afternoon. And that crazy guy was making a mess at the air traffic control facility in Aurora (right next to our doctor's office). We booked a flight for Saturday afternoon out of Fort Myers, rented a car, and drove to my in-laws' house an hour north of Fort Myers.

At noon on Saturday, our flight was cancelled. Now we have lost a whole day, and we're even further south in Florida!! So we started driving back to Chicago to pick up our car at Midway... :( We missed my niece's birthday party on Sunday, which was also our wedding anniversary. We got home very late on Sunday and the dog was boarded an extra few days.

And that Hertz parking lot at Midway was JAM PACKED with drop offs!

It was a very crazy weekend/trip back home.

I think it also depends where and how far are you fly. We cruise a lot during the winter and being from boston that can be problematic. we try to fly in a day or two before and just travel around or of we are leaving out of port canaveral we will head to the parks the day before. it can mean a more expensive trip but i never want to risk it.

I completely agree on this. Flying in early and spending a few nights at a hotel is my "insurance" that we will make our trip. (We don't buy travel insurance, choosing to spend that money on the pre-nights instead). Since it takes me a day or two to get relaxed once I am on vacation, having the pre-nights also means I am in vacation mode by the time the "real" vacation starts.

Although we did not actually miss our boat, we had a 7am - 9am flight for our cruise day - figured we would be in PLENTY of time.

The aircraft had engine trouble. They had to deplane everyone, find new hardware, re-issue all the tickets and re-board everyone. We landed at Orlando and caught the very last bus to port.

We decided then and there that we would NEVER fly in the day of the cruise again - even on the first flight out in the morning.

I few out three separate times the day of my cruises (2 with DCL and 1 with HAL) when I first started cruising many years ago and luckily I didn't have any problems. I no longer do this because I do enjoy visiting for a few days before and after my cruise, however back then I made sure I only had a carry-on luggage, caught the first direct flight out that morning and knew there where multiple flights from various carriers I could take that I would still make it to the port in time (Los Angeles to Vancouver) if I my flight had any problems or cancelations.

Oh wow this was my paranoid thought I had in September when we did our first cruise and drove from WDW ourselves to port canaveral. This is why we left at 8:30 am to give us extra time. I had visions of highway closures. I wonder how many missed the boat or cut it close?
We have been struck in that kind of traffic on 528, for hours. Thankfully it was the evening before boarding. it was stressful enough then. I cannot imagine that morning of!

My family seems to have a bit of a travel curse. DH was once stuck at Charlotte airport for 40 hours due to a blizzard. I had hurricane Matthew and most recently I had a flight diverted to Madison from Chicago. TBH even flying in just 1 day before a cruise seems risky to me. For our PC cruise we're planning on flying two days before.

This is the stuff of my travel nightmares. We *always* fly in the day before so as to not have additional stress. Sure, it adds the cost of a hotel on top of things but I would much rather spend that $ then miss out on part of our vacation.

We always look at the potential for traffic given that we have to drive through Atlanta *and* Orlando to get to the port. For our NYE cruise, departing on the 30th on the Oasis this year, we are heading south on Thursday morning early. That puts us through Atlanta at 10ish, after rush hour and before lunch rush. If we take our time south of Atlanta, stopping to eat and/or walk the trail at the Payne's Prairie we pass through Orlando after rush hour, putting us in Port Canaveral around 8 or so. It makes for a 13 hour day for what should be 10 hours or less, but it's less stressful. If we left on Friday this year we'd catch the Atlanta traffic of people taking a short day, or the entire day, off to head south for a long Florida New Years weekend, and that sounds like a nightmare. If we left on Saturday we'd catch those who are heading out that day for the same New Years weekend, and that's no bueno either.

If we cruise our favorite week, the week after Thanksgiving, we head down early, early on Thanksgiving Day. Little to no traffic the entire way, and we can catch a late evening Thanksgiving dinner in Cocoa.

The thought of arriving in Orlando/Port Canaveral the day of a cruise just makes my anxiety spike.

We're on the east coast (VA) so we drive to PC; but even then its always a day early. We're up at 3 to be gone by 4 so as to miss the Richmond AM traffic, the Savannah lunch traffic and the Jacksonville PM traffic. It's the only day that I don't have to pull the kids out of bed!

Although we did not actually miss our boat, we had a 7am - 9am flight for our cruise day - figured we would be in PLENTY of time.

The aircraft had engine trouble. They had to deplane everyone, find new hardware, re-issue all the tickets and re-board everyone. We landed at Orlando and caught the very last bus to port.

We decided then and there that we would NEVER fly in the day of the cruise again - even on the first flight out in the morning.

UGH, not a great way to start a vacation. I would have been so stressed out. Glad it all worked out though!

Oh man. That sounds stressful. Hope you were still able to enjoy your cruise!

Been there, almost done that. Flew out the day before for Celebrity cruise. Got diverted from DFW to San Antonio because of wx at DFW. EVERYBODY was rerouted to SAT. Unloaded the passengers off the aircraft, no luggage (no place to put it in the terminal). Rented a car and drove north to DFW during the night. Arrived back at DFW (the morning of the cruise). Got last seats on the first flt out. Still no luggage other than our roll on. Found a cab and told him to get us to the nearest target, Kmart, whatever. Wrote out quick shopping list for DH and one for me. Divide and conquer. Last ones to process on the ship. Now we leave two days early. Oooh, our luggage never caught up with the ship. It was diverted right back home from SAT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter