Why no pool service and late check outs?

Disney Fanatic

DVC Member-OKW Resort
We just returned from a truly wonderful vacation as first time DVC members.

I just have two quick questions I thought someone may be able to answer.

When we were at Vero Beach, I really thought they needed to have a server come over and take drink orders. It just seemed like we were staying at such a wonderful deluxe hotel and then when you need something, you need to serve yourself. I do not drink alot but it would have been a nice touch to have this service instead of standing in line for 10 minutes to get one drink. It seemed to take so long because people were ordering food and drinks and there was only one server. Does anyone else think this would be a nice touch?

On our last night at VWL, I knew they were not full and called down to ask for a late check out. It was only 2 hrs extra and I said I completely understand if they are full. Before I was even able to say anything else, the CM asked if I was staying in the VWL and said that they have a NO late check out policy for the Villas. She did say they can accommodate late check outs for the lodge. I understand if someone is waiting for the room but this was a cut and dry answer. That few extra hours makes all the difference in the world for your last day if you have a later flight. Just thought this should not be a blanket policy rather a policy looked at on an individual basis. Does anyone else this is a little strict?

Disney Fanatic said:
On our last night at VWL, I knew they were not full and called down to ask for a late check out. It was only 2 hrs extra and I said I completely understand if they are full. Before I was even able to say anything else, the CM asked if I was staying in the VWL and said that they have a NO late check out policy for the Villas. She did say they can accommodate late check outs for the lodge. I understand if someone is waiting for the room but this was a cut and dry answer. That few extra hours makes all the difference in the world for your last day if you have a later flight. Just thought this should not be a blanket policy rather a policy looked at on an individual basis. Does anyone else this is a little strict?

The concept behind DVC is that the resorts are to be 100% booked year-round (less accommodation for room maintenance.) Realistically that doesn't happen, but occupancy is still much higher than the 80% average at the cash resorts.

"No late checkout" is a policy and I think it's a good one. If the resort was at less than 100% occupancy while you were there, it's probably one of a handful of days during the year when that is the case. Allowing a late check-out once sets a future expectation that will inevitably be declined more than it's offered.

You also need to factor-in the reality of DVC housekeeping. Cash rooms get attention on a daily basis. DVC rooms can be 2-3 times the size of a cash room, and go a week between cleanings. Housekeeping needs time to service the rooms properly. Even though we occasionally see reports of poor room conditions, I'm constantly amazed that housekeeping can clean dozens of large DVC-sized rooms in the narrow 5-hour window they are currently permitted.

Finally, remember that a timely guest check-out means an increased chance that an incoming guest can get into his/her room early.

They used to allow late checkout but it became a problem so they eliminated it. I think a lot of people were taking advantage of it. They did announce to the members in the VM that it would no longer be possible.

Most timeshares are VERY strict and specific about check-in and check-out times. It is just something a former hotel visiter needs to adjust to when staying at a timeshare.

during our last stay at BWV - I requested a later check out and the CM at the desk said no, but did add that the housekeepers are paid by the # of rooms they clean for the villa's so that is why they need to enforce the policy. That can also explain why the mousekeepers are knocking at your door as early as 9:00AM on your checkout day to try to get in early.

OKW (DVC) use to have both early checkin and late check out.

when there became more members the demand for the early check in increased. late check out when down.

DVC decided it couldn't do both. so late check out went away about the time BWV was opened - might be later.

some timeshares won't allow either - OL for one. So be happy you get early check in.

Late check outs should never be allowed at DVC. At the Hilton they charge for late check outs depending upon the hour of the day, you just call and it will be billed to your account, perhaps you might want to stay there next time they have servers at the pool also. DVC has become a poor mans outlet over the years will all sorts of rules being broken, I am glad they still enforce the late check out rule, no late check outs.

Hilton GV has a 10AM check out, so ours is better than that. We've used the locker facilities at VWL to enjoy the day at the pool and the resort when we've had a later flight. That worked out just fine for us.

Bobbi :flower:

They don't have servers at the exclusively DVC pools since we are at HOME. Unless you have a server at your home, then you might want to reserve a studio for your server and bring him/her along.

I think at BWV for the main pool they used to do it.

I don't drink alot at Disney - so I haven't done this for a long time.

you know the turtle pond snack bar - asked for last chance drinks and she brought them around.

:cool1: :rotfl: :Pinkbounc :banana:
I agree they should have pool side service for Vero. We have gone the past 4 years and a server would be a nice touch, and a cash cow for the server. I vote to put you in charge of the letter writing campaign. We will be back in Feburary, I hope you can work that fast :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

remember your dues will go up to cover the extra salary of this person. She/he will get pay no matter what.

People are awfully quick to throw out the "your dues will go up" line. Come on---we're talking about wait staff here. More waiters, better service, more sales, profits from sales pay for the waiter/waitress. I would imagine that the "food service" departments of all the resorts, and particularly the "Hotel" resorts survive off the proceeds of the sales they generate. Your pina colada might be more expensive, but your annual dues shouldn't be touched.
There is no doubt a direct correlation between dues and numbers of desk clerks, maintenance staff, cleaning, etc---that is in areas that don't directly produce cash flow.
I would also comment that if you want it cheap, you'll get it cheap.

Years ago Dave and Diane (servers) at OKW Turtle Pond would occasionally go around and ask if you wanted anything to drink...they did it from the goodness of their hearts....always refused tips....said they were not permitted to accept them. The Grand Floridian has service at the pool, although it's a nice perk I don't want the dues to go up.

Blue&Gold said:
People are awfully quick to throw out the "your dues will go up" line. Come on---we're talking about wait staff here. More waiters, better service, more sales, profits from sales pay for the waiter/waitress. I would imagine that the "food service" departments of all the resorts, and particularly the "Hotel" resorts survive off the proceeds of the sales they generate. Your pina colada might be more expensive, but your annual dues shouldn't be touched.

If it were that simple, Disney would have servers strolling around all the pools - but the only pool that has them is the GF. There must not be as much profit in it as you suspect, since Disney isn't a company to turn up its nose at easy money with improved customer service.

Don't know if dues would go up (that I doubt) or the drinks, but I'm not sure we'd get consensus on either being ok. (I'll be right there paying for it, I like to have someone bring me a drink by the pool - one of the best things about crusing!)

Actually, I do think it is that simple. What's not simple about it is finding the tipping point (no pun intended) on where drink/food prices would need to go to justify the additional staff and whether or not patrons would continue to buy.
Several of the DVC resorts have room service... Undoubtedly paid for by room service sales. I believe this is in the same vein.
Completely agree that it would be hard to gain a consensus. Only way to know for sure is to communicate with management and see if they'd do a test case at one of the resorts and see if the sales justified the expense. Without numbers backed up by a market test, this is all conjecture.

crisi said:
If it were that simple, Disney would have servers strolling around all the pools - but the only pool that has them is the GF. There must not be as much profit in it as you suspect, since Disney isn't a company to turn up its nose at easy money with improved customer service.

Storm Along Bay at BCV/BC/YC has wait staff/servers. I love those people - they seem to arrive just in time when I need that cold drink.

sheryl0521 said:
Storm Along Bay at BCV/BC/YC has wait staff/servers. I love those people - they seem to arrive just in time when I need that cold drink.

If I'd known that I would have bought BCV to begin with! :drinking:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter