Why isn't Maxpass free?

This has been my first experience with MP and while I like the convenience of getting it on my phone I am finding the fast passes are gone super early for all the rides and the standby lines are longer than when I have been in the summer time. By the time you get to 5pm you really only have the choice to do standby lines. I've only been to WDW once with the fast pass system there and actually found I was able to get more passes. I wish you could chose times here so that you could schedule around breaks and dinning reservations.
It takes some practice and strategy, but it's possible to book the passes late in the day. You have to determine what rides are going the fastest. Also, you might have had more passes at WDW because I think they have more rides with passes available. DL only has 17 rides with fastpasses, and those may not always be available due to refurbishments and constant breakdowns (i.e. Incredicoaster).

I'm sure those who love the fastpass+ system probably think the maxpass system is insane lol

There are many, many more fastpasses available at WDW. At DL, just the most popular rides are on the system. At WDW, almost every attraction uses fastpass, including many where it is really unnecessary. The sheer number allows them to offer it free to everyone and present it as a value. (“Yay, we locked in a fastpass for Little Mermaid.”)
This is important information. I assumed all rides were included in Maxpass. What is popular may not interest us since we aren't thrill riders. Is there a list somewhere so that we could decide whether or not Maxpass would benefit us. I have no trouble spending the extra money if it will be worth it.

This has been my first experience with MP and while I like the convenience of getting it on my phone I am finding the fast passes are gone super early for all the rides and the standby lines are longer than when I have been in the summer time. By the time you get to 5pm you really only have the choice to do standby lines. I've only been to WDW once with the fast pass system there and actually found I was able to get more passes. I wish you could chose times here so that you could schedule around breaks and dinning reservations.
That's another issue for us. We don't spend the entire day in the park. We go early in the morning at rope drop, and leave after lunch. If we got a fast pass after that, it would go to waste.

This is important information. I assumed all rides were included in Maxpass. What is popular may not interest us since we aren't thrill riders. Is there a list somewhere so that we could decide whether or not Maxpass would benefit us. I have no trouble spending the extra money if it will be worth it.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/fastpass/

Fantasmic and World of Color aren't included in maxpass (yet, I heard rumors it might in the future)

We were there over spring break. We had fast passes well into the evening.
I believe that the increasing popularity of Maxpass + fall crowds have really affected FP availability.

As I think you may have seen since you're around a lot, I've been tracking FP return times since the spring, and "what's available" later in the day has been steadily decreasing (on high-crowd days, anyway).

Now, someone who's there first thing and is really strategic about what they book and when can still use a ton of FPs during the day, especially if you know what to prioritize and when to book stuff for maximum efficiency. And you can still line up a lot of FPs for evening use depending on your strategy. But stuff is moving quicker than it did during Spring Break season even though a few rides (Incredicoaster, Toy Story) were down or at limited capacity...

I'm working on a post about it, but we leave on a major vacation this week and I haven't had time...

I believe that the increasing popularity of Maxpass + fall crowds have really affected FP availability.

As I think you may have seen since you're around a lot, I've been tracking FP return times since the spring, and "what's available" later in the day has been steadily decreasing (on high-crowd days, anyway).

Now, someone who's there first thing and is really strategic about what they book and when can still use a ton of FPs during the day, especially if you know what to prioritize and when to book stuff for maximum efficiency. And you can still line up a lot of FPs for evening use depending on your strategy. But stuff is moving quicker than it did during Spring Break season even though a few rides (Incredicoaster, Toy Story) were down or at limited capacity...

I'm working on a post about it, but we leave on a major vacation this week and I haven't had time...
Ooo. I look forward to reading it.

We LOVED Maxpass (first time ever using it when we went to Disneyland this past March). We have a trip coming up at WDW next August (haven't been in 3 years) and I'm dreading the Fastpass+ 60 day scramble lol

We are tentatively planning a trip to WDW October 2019 and I am so nervous that I will spend way more money (double my DL trips) and wish I had done DL instead. The FP+ situation seems daunting to say the least. MaxPass is so easy - we ah e loved it every trip this last year (nov 17, April 18, July 18)

Ugh I am wanting to go to WDW sometime next year and reading about their weird Fastpass+ makes me nervous. It's like having to relearn an entirely new system.
You comment made me smile. we're WDW passholders, planning our first Disneyland trip. I just said to my husband that I'm not sure how this is going to work. No FP until we're in the parks? How will I know when to reserve dining? What if the only times for RSR and Guardians are the same?- sounds chaotic!

I guess everyone is more comfortable with what they know. And don't worry, I've always gotten every FP I've wanted, even at less than 60 days, for between 4 and 8 people. Flexibility is key. Park hoppers really help if you have "must-do" FP or dining.

You comment made me smile. we're WDW passholders, planning our first Disneyland trip. I just said to my husband that I'm not sure how this is going to work. No FP until we're in the parks? How will I know when to reserve dining? What if the only times for RSR and Guardians are the same?- sounds chaotic!

I guess everyone is more comfortable with what they know. And don't worry, I've always gotten every FP I've wanted, even at less than 60 days, for between 4 and 8 people. Flexibility is key. Park hoppers really help if you have "must-do" FP or dining.
You will discover it for yourself when you are here but MaxPass is the opppsite of chaotic. It is a very “California chill” system. I’ve been in the parks with many WDW vets using MP for the first time and they’ve all loved it and said it was far superior to FP+ (their words, not mine).

Yes.

Quick question, if you have a multi day ticket, do you have to buy MP for all the days, or can you do just 1?

Quick question, if you have a multi day ticket, do you have to buy MP for all the days, or can you do just 1?
You can do just one day. If you purchase your tickets from the disneyland website, you have the option to add maxpass. That will make you add for all days. So if you want it for just one day, only buy the tickets, and then purchase maxpass as soon as you scan into the park for the day you want to use it.

You will discover it for yourself when you are here but MaxPass is the opppsite of chaotic. It is a very “California chill” system. I’ve been in the parks with many WDW vets using MP for the first time and they’ve all loved it and said it was far superior to FP+ (their words, not mine).
Ha! I think DL is pretty much run on the "California Chill" system. Unless you are planning to book reservations for things, all you have to do is show up, and have fun.

We added Maxpass to our DL AP and love it! DL has so many APH that it makes sense for Disney to do it differently at DL vs. WDW.

I love the fact that I can go to DL later in the day and still get FP. There are times when I have had 4 FP at the same time! You can do the different pairs, at the same time, unlike WDW. There are some rides that seem to always have Maxpasses avaialble. And when you combine Single Rider you can still do many rides.

Some times you can have a return time on a FP you booked earlier, and then when your booking window opens you may be able to get a FP for a different ride before that first FP is useable. Say like on Buzz. I have had this happen often.

A friend brought up something to me that I honestly wondered back when MaxPass was announced...why isn't it free? I understand it comes with photopass, but why didn't they do what WDW does and give it for free? (without photopass). I'd love everyone's honest thoughts or any information you can share. On our trip a year ago, we did not use MaxPass because of this. I was mad that they charge for it so we went without it. This year we used MaxPass and LOVED it, but it is still frustrating that they charge in Disneyland when it's free in WDW (which is on the other side of the country and much more expensive for us, so we will only be able to go once).
Here at WDW now, I have a Platinum AP and in my opinion Fastpass plus sucks. MaxPass is worth every penny and probably more. WDW either needs MaxPass or some version of the Express program that Universal uses. I say charge me, I want to do more stuff! MaxPass is 50,000 times better than Fastpass plus so they charge for the service. Better = more value.

Here at WDW now, I have a Platinum AP and in my opinion Fastpass plus sucks. MaxPass is worth every penny and probably more. WDW either needs MaxPass or some version of the Express program that Universal uses. I say charge me, I want to do more stuff! MaxPass is 50,000 times better than Fastpass plus so they charge for the service. Better = more value.

I am sorry that you couldn't work FP+ more to your advantage, but it definitely has some advantages over MP. In my opinion, the biggest is that more things have FP in Florida - not just rides, but also some shows and character meets. I like having more options and saving some of the 10- or 15-minute waits, not just the really long waits.

But I don't mind working the system and getting FP all day, whereas some people hate having to do that.

I am sorry that you couldn't work FP+ more to your advantage, but it definitely has some advantages over MP. In my opinion, the biggest is that more things have FP in Florida - not just rides, but also some shows and character meets. I like having more options and saving some of the 10- or 15-minute waits, not just the really long waits.

But I don't mind working the system and getting FP all day, whereas some people hate having to do that.
Wait...what the what? Characters have fastpasses too?? :scared:

I guess I need to start studying for WDW...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!