Why is it..

To answer your original question, I always seem to do my best brainstorming when I'm in bed trying to fall asleep. My mind goes on and on for some reason and it does always seem to be the time I come up with some of the best ideas and thoughts for things I'm trying to resolve. I do keep a notebook in my nightstand now just so I can jot down important things when they come to me.

Let’s get back on track here people. I in no way, shape, or form asked for opinions on gettingnor not getting a cat. The question was, have you ever had a great idea in the middle of the night.

I appreciate everyone who’s answered the original question :)

I have and funny enough it is usually about gifts for my oldest son. He is so hard to buy for so it takes some consideration.

As for all the comments on whether you should give her the money to get a cat. Do what you think your daughter would like. If she chooses not to get a cat she will have cash for something else! A cat is usually a good choice for someone her age who is probably busy. They are pretty independent. And if she is homesick, I bet cuddling with a cat Mom gave her the opportunity to get will help.

I think I live in the city/ province your DD moved to. Most places are pretty animal friendly, especially for cats as they are less destructive than dogs. Older cats are are even better. I think it's a great idea! I adopted Caboose 5 years ago from a rescue groups as a kitten, it cost $175 but included his first vet, shots and snip. An adult kitty would be less.

I think I live in the city/ province your DD moved to. Most places are pretty animal friendly, especially for cats as they are less destructive than dogs. Older cats are are even better. I think it's a great idea! I adopted Caboose 5 years ago from a rescue groups as a kitten, it cost $175 but included his first vet, shots and snip. An adult kitty would be less.

I think you do, too. Thanks for the input.

I will guide her to get an older cat, she doesn’t have the time for a kitten. This isn’t a novelty thing for her. She’s wanted a cat for at least three years and I’ve always said no. She knows pets take responsibility.

A few of her roommates have permanently moved to where they are now. I’m sure if something came up, they could take over ownership. It will be something to mention, for sure, though.
I think your idea is a fine one; maybe she will get a cat and maybe she won't. She's an adult and will do "whatever" whether or not you give her the money (and I'm assuming you aren't insisting she buy a cat with the money you send). :confused3 I'm also perplexed by the pp's that seem to believe that the parents of adult children need to manage every possible eventuality for them - poppycock. If her circumstances change in the future, she'll deal with things accordingly because that's how real life works. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

I think your idea is a fine one; maybe she will get a cat and maybe she won't. She's an adult and will do "whatever" whether or not you give her the money (and I'm assuming you aren't insisting she buy a cat with the money you send). :confused3 I'm also perplexed by the pp's that seem to believe that the parents of adult children need to manage every possible eventuality for them - poppycock. If her circumstances change in the future, she'll deal with things accordingly because that's how real life works. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Thanks for being my mouthpiece. You can get my points for today LOL

That the best ideas happen in the middle of the night?

I’ve started to think about what to get my daughter for Christmas. She’s three provinces away and I miss her and I know she is feeling pretty homesick. Plus, she’s starting to realize that even though moms house had a bunch of rules, living with no rules is even worse lol

So, just now, at 3.31 central time I just had a genius, GENIUS idea.

Since before she moved out she’s been taking about getting a cat. All her roommates are on board, she just doesn’t have the money for one right now.

So, for Christmas, my husband and I will get her a cat! Well, not physically, but we’ll give her the money to get a cat and a litter box and some food to get her started.

I’ll get 20 envelopes and write out MERRY XMAS GRACE & KITTY. Inside each envelope will be $10 and the letters will be all scrambled. She’ll have to figure out what it says before she knows what her gift is.

I’m so excited to do this for her. It will be such a boost and a reminder that I’m with her, even if it’s not physical. When she’s sad she can cuddle the kitty.

I thought I would be a Grinch this year without her but as soon as I see snow I go into Christmas mode. I’ve had to stop myself from dragging the tree up from the basement and all our house decor and get full into the Christmas spirit.

Who else has had a brainstorm in the middle of the night?

Always! And my poor husband has to listen to me in the morning, 'cause the dog isn't going to. TEE! HEE!

:woohoo: Woot - what'd I win??

Are we talking DIS points??? ;)

Kimblebee, I always wake up in the middle of the night with ideas, worries or whatever. I think it's nice you want to do something for your DD in regards of a cat but of course I'm an avid cat lover.

I will say.......that my sister next door (who is SO not an animal lover) has acquired two dogs and 4 cats in the past few year from her young adult children. Just warnin' ya!! ;)

Are we talking DIS points??? ;)

Kimblebee, I always wake up in the middle of the night with ideas, worries or whatever. I think it's nice you want to do something for your DD in regards of a cat but of course I'm an avid cat lover.

I will say.......that my sister next door (who is SO not an animal lover) has acquired two dogs and 4 cats in the past few year from her young adult children. Just warnin' ya!! ;)

It’s totally a valid question on what happens to the cat if she decides to move back home. I am 100% adamant that a cat will not live in my house, and I won’t soften on that.

It’s totally a valid question on what happens to the cat if she decides to move back home. I am 100% adamant that a cat will not live in my house, and I won’t soften on that.
I would feel the same way. Our young adult DS would LOVE a cat but it won't happen while he still lives at home. If he acquires one when he moves out, that's totally on him. He would be welcome back at any time but a cat (or any other pet) wouldn't.

I've known a ton of people in their early 20s that adopted cats and dogs and had them for the duration of the pet's lives including myself.
I've also known idiotic people in their 40s give up their pets for selfish reasons.

Good lord people on this post are such downers assuming that a young person always abandons their pets.

Who buys a cat? Aren’t there a billion in shelters?
Our cat was from a rescue and shelter for cats only. Sure it was an adoption fee..but we still spent $130. That did however come with neutering completed prior to us actually getting to take him home and a free vet visit from a list of vets in the area for his first check up after the neutering and to get him his booster shots.

I get ideas when I'm going to sleep OR I'll even wake up suddenly because I've got something on my mind that I can do with xyz. I'll get ideas in the shower too lol.

I think what's most annoying is when I'm trying to sleep and no matter what I'm still stuck on that thing I got in my mind.

Like last week I was laying there coming up with wall shelving configurations for the garage and then I couldn't go back to sleep for a while because I kept thinking well that shelf can be standard 12inches but that shelf need to be wider because it is in the alcove and then I started thinking hmmmm I need to go measure the area and see if it works with my idea of putting lawn care stuff there, etc.

Sometimes I get really good craft ideas at that time too which sounds great but then I want to go searching on Pinterest for a similar-ish idea so I can remember it lol

I need some Christmas gift ideas here..especially for my husband..so maybe I'll hope I'll come up with something while I'm trying to go to sleep lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts