• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why is CC needed for Rental Car?

GoofyDude

Gawrsh!
OK....stupid question time: Why is a Credit Card (not a debit or check card) needed to rent a car, even though they will accept a debit or check card for payment?

I think it's because with a debit card/check card, the funds are immediately withdrawn from your account, and they might run into a lot of problems, with cancellations and with those who have insufficient funds available. With a credit card, it doesn't matter if the funds are immediately available. Or at least that's my two cents. Maybe they all have a hangup about tradition?

I think it is because with a CC you can put a "hold" on funds, I am not sure if you can do that we a Debit cards, or if you'd want them to.

Here's another one for ya...
Why do they require (at least Hertz) a CC for each of the drivers on a car??

I use a debit card all the time with Hertz and they can hold the funds. I prefer using my debit card because then it is paid for and I don't have to worry about it.

Some debit cards are also credit card - eve if we do not use them that way.

I also think that having a CC makes it easier for the rental company to collect if there are any problems, such as a gas tank not re-filled, or damage to the car, etc....

I always thought it was because so many credit cards come with some form of rental car insurance coverage as a perk. So, they figure, if they get you to use a credit card, they'll have less trouble collecting if you're in an accident. That's what I always thought anyway.

I pay a small amount every month to have car rental insurance. That way I don't have to worry if the credit card covers everything. As far as additional charges there are no problems with them adding them to a debit card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter