Why is Boardwalk "less expensive" than other resorts?

we"reofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
We just booked boardwalk and it was the least expensive 1 bedroom available. It has been on our list to try since we have never stayed there. Why is it priced like that? Makes me a bit nervous-- like we should stay at a different resort.

Time opened and standard view, which factors are unrelated to room quality and resort amenities which are as good or better than other DVC resorts. It was the second WDW resort and opened in 1996. The point requirements and point prices at the time (in $60's) reflect a time when building costs were much lower, and DVC still did not know whether its timeshare plan would actually succeed -- OKW had been on sale for 5 years when BWV opened, and still was a long way from selling out, and Vero and Hilton, which opened before BWV, had slow sales (to the extent that Disney actually killed a plan to add more rooms to Vero and sold off the applicable land).

BWV also came with a preferred and standard view with standard having a point per night structure close to OKW, and I am assuming the lower cost rooms you are referring to are the standard views, which make up about 15% of the resort, because preferred views (now pool/garden and boardwalk view), cost significantly more points per night and are close in point per night cost to BCV, BRV and now CCV for studios through 2BRs; in fact Disney adopted BWV's preferred view point per night structure for BCV and BRV which opened in the early 200o's, and the more recently opened CCV's points per night closely follow BRV because they are both at Wilderness Lodge.

Last edited:

Thanks for the replies! It is standard view. We are new to dvc but have stayed at most non dvc resorts on property. This is just a quick labor day trip, so we want to try something "new." I was just surprised at points and thought ssr and okw would be lower.

Thanks for the replies! It is standard view. We are new to dvc but have stayed at most non dvc resorts on property. This is just a quick labor day trip, so we want to try something "new." I was just surprised at points and thought ssr and okw would be lower.

AKV has the lowest point rooms (Value) and the standard view there is usually comparable to OKW. SSR standard view was created a couple of years ago and matches up fairly well to OKW. BWV standard view tends to fall into line with OKW and SSR standard view.

Remember - this is a timeshare and things are not "priced" on popularity like cash hotel rooms will be. They are "priced" at what levels DVC thought they could sell them at at the time they were built. SSR is the one change they did make that was a "pricing" change but that won't be done ever again IMO. The next closest is when they had categories within resorts when they had "views" or different room types that they thought it would be difficult to just book as one - ie, people would be back at the front desk asking for a different room if they were assigned it. At BWV standard views face out towards the front driveway or are at the very end of the building facing the tennis courts and parking lot. It is rather different than getting assigned a Boardwalk view room overlooking Crescent lake.

The creepy clown pool scares people away from the resort... :P

Seriously, the real reason is that it's an older resort with lower point schedules. Over time, as DVC opens a new resort, the points required to book rooms have gone up.
Just looked at it on utube. What were they thinking! I am wondering how my kids will react to that. Haha.

SSSSHHHHHHH. Don't let the secret out.

In all seriousness, I always recommend buying BWV. Even with shorter contract life. It's the best bang for the buck with the standard view...heck, even the premium views are a good deal for the location (walking to 2 parks).

Unfortunately, we still have a 9 and 10 year old (boys) and the only place they want to stay is Bay Lake Tower or Wilderness Lodge (or "maybe Beach Club for the pool"), so we probably won't get back to BWV after this. Lol

Standard is lower because the view is not something people care for. As long as view is not high on your list. Your view is the front driveway, parking lot, retention pond. I always book standard. Standard rooms are not easy to get, but 1 bedrooms are a little easier because all 2 bedrooms are lockoffs. Once the hard to get studios are gone, it leaves the one bedrooms. Standard rooms are only 20% of this resort.

We love BWV but have only stayed there two nights. Beach Club is our annual June resort but we walk past BWV frequently and I walk over there each morning to fill my coffee mug and grab a pastry. The pizza window is nice and it’s just a fun place. ESPN is good to close down the night when my DW/DD go to sleep.

I'm cheap, and always try to book the cheapest view. With that being said, I love to sit out on the balcony and drink my morning coffee. I have found some of the most 'undesirable' views tend to be the most interesting, activity wise. I like to people watch, and see all the hustle and bustle going on. DW could really care less, and just enjoys being at WDW. I treat every new room as part of the DVC adventure. Even the 'worst' room can have some great qualities if one just takes the time to sit back and soak it in. Your mileage may vary!

Just looked at it on utube. What were they thinking! I am wondering how my kids will react to that. Haha.

It’s actually awesome in person and I bet your boys will change their minds. The slide is terrific, and they can laugh at sliding on their rears out of the clown’s mouth.

Pictures and videos don’t really give you the right idea of it.

I’m as clown-phobic as they come, but love that slide and pool.

It’s actually awesome in person and I bet your boys will change their minds. The slide is terrific, and they can laugh at sliding on their rears out of the clown’s mouth.

Pictures and videos don’t really give you the right idea of it.

I’m as clown-phobic as they come, but love that slide and pool.

Me too. It's really very funny watching people get spit out by the clown! And the slide is far more fun than the one at SAB. I find that to be one that looks cool and doesn't live up to it's looks. The BWV slide is probably our favorite at the DVC resorts.

Gee, I haven't seen anyone post yet that it's due to the long walk from the elevators (or hallways) yet, surprising.:p

Gee, I haven't seen anyone post yet that it's due to the long walk from the elevators (or hallways) yet, surprising.:p

Since you can end up closer to the elevators than say Boardwalk view - or any other view - it's unknown if that would apply or not. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter