Why doesn't Disney clean up Discovery Island?

DiscoveryIslandGirl

Earning My Ears
I worked on Discovery Island from 1977-1979 and remember those two years as being absolutely magical. The beauty of this natural island is exquisite and to see the videos of its current status is absolutely heartbreaking. Regardless of whether it's left to be a natural gem or if Disney chooses to convert it to some profitable venture, I just don't understand why Disney doesn't at least haul off the structures whose decomposing metals are surely contaminating the land. It's not like they can't afford to do it and it doesn't make sense to have such an eyesore in the middle of Bay Lake. What am I missing? Is there an obvious explanation to this mystery?

I remember seeing somewhere that the closure of DI coincided with the opening of AK and that it was redundant.

That answers the question of why DI closed, but it doesn't answer my question: Why does Disney not clean up the crumbling buildings, dilapidated cages, refrigerators full of medicine, etc???

That is an odd thing; they just left everything. Same thing with River Country. It's like they shut the door and never went back. Wasteful. I do know that the water tower slide at FW is the one from RC. But if you watch the videos of people who've snuck into RC there were a lot of supplies left behind.

I think they filled in the large pool, from what I read it was causing environment issues. Then there was the rumors of hotels and such being built there. Nothing ever materialized

I believe it's a money issue. If they clean it up to use the island for something then they will. Just to spend money cleaning it up for the sake of cleaning it up won't happen.

I remember seeing somewhere that the closure of DI coincided with the opening of AK and that it was redundant.
I loved visiting that island and being able to be so close to the birds and everything there. I have not seen anything quite like that at Animal Kingdom. I thought that was a great island to visit and enjoy.

I loved visiting that island and being able to be so close to the birds and everything there. I have not seen anything quite like that at Animal Kingdom. I thought that was a great island to visit and enjoy.
I also have fond memories of Discovery Island from my family's visit in May, 1980. Pictured are our daughter in a tube, our son with a feathered friend and myself with another. 046.JPG033.JPG043 (2).JPG feathered friend.

Those are beautiful photographs, Kathy Z!!
Almost looks like pictures from a Disney Professional Brochure ...
back in the 70s .

I did not realize the extent of decay and safety issues for wildlife and ecology. Didn’t Walt Disney have legal agreement to protect natural habitat once upon a time?
I don’t understand Disney ignores important issues ... How much spent after heartbreaking accident to fence off resort / waterfront access at many property locations.I am not criticizing .
I think Disney was the future of high standards and should remember this for all future decisions.
They have owned this land since the 70 s and profited ...I think they can figure out a way to fit this in the budget ...
Maybe a donation from that recent stock sell off ??? You know the one I am referencing...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts