Why Does Modified Seating Exist?

Disxuni

"Where's the fun without a bit of risk?"
The term seemed created once FJ came out with the "modified" seating in order to accommodate more people back in 2010. However, my question is, why does it still exist?

Why do they restrict certain rides to be a certain way and then modify a row, or a select amount of seats instead of just now increasing the size of the seat for the ride and have the same size for all riders on future attractions? Understandable for older attractions, but newer attractions instead of being adjusted to adapt, now automatically have "modified seating". Universal should have the ability to create seats that are more inclusive and remain safe to all. As while other theme parks might have some attractions that restrict certain guests, more often do not have the same issues.

Theories on why modified seating still exists?

Cause fatties like me wanna ride the rolly rides

No, I think she is asking why aren't ALL the seats of the modified size on the newer rides. All you have to do is look around to know the need for the slightly larger seats are not going away anytime soon and the need is rising every year.

My son is not overly large, but needs the modified seats in FJ because of the restraints and how big his shoulders are. He has no problems on any other ride anywhere we have ever gone.

No, I think she is asking why aren't ALL the seats of the modified size on the newer rides. All you have to do is look around to know the need for the slightly larger seats are not going away anytime soon and the need is rising every year.

My son is not overly large, but needs the modified seats in FJ because of the restraints and how big his shoulders are. He has no problems on any other ride anywhere we have ever gone.

Yes, this is what I meant, because yes, @RAPstar, I'm a fattie who wanna ride the rolly rides too. So, I feel ya.

Also, @DisneyMom93 you may have a point. However, Disney who specializes in small people do not really seem to have this issue. While we can argue the rides that specialize the kiddos aren't as rough. Even what is considered the "adult" rides I never had a struggle with, or worry about. However, I know some people may, but not nearly as many seem as affected as certain rides at Universal. While "small people can't be in big vehicles" crossed my mind and it's one of thoughts I've had, at the same time still doesn't 100% add up to me.

Part of the reason they can't make all the seats larger, instead of just some, is the kid factor. We already have people who complain that their kids can't ride some things until they're 48" tall. If the seats are bigger, does that mean the kids have to be 54" tall? Lots of sore parents if their kids can't ride a "family coaster" because they aren't big enough. So I think the modified seats are here to stay.

I do distinctly remember my little sister having to be held down by the adult next to her when she rode the Racers at King's Island in the 70s. She was so small that she was coming out of the seat on the airtime hills. No one complained because, hey, it was the 70s. But those same rides I rode as a kid now have seatbelts and side panels added, probably because somebody got upset that their kindergartener almost flew out of the ride. I would too, now. ;) But I still miss the old cars and all their inherent quirks. My newly adult kids hear about it every time we ride the Beast...

I’ve been seated in modified seating a few times and it’s not comfortable for me. I don’t like being in a seat that’s overly large for me on rides with a lot of motion. If the ride is designed in a way that one size fits all doesn’t work, I think Universal’s solution of some modified, some not, is best and ensures everyone has a comfortable seat. It’s not unique to Universal. Busch Gardens has modified seats on some of its coasters.

Also because there are weight limits for the ride... If you filled it up with all oversized people it would be a safety issue, so have to spread them out a few at a time. The odds are probably low that many overweight people would get in at the same time, but have to plan for safety.

Last edited:
As already stated they just can’t make the ADA/Oversized cars for everyone as people of less weight and young kids wouldn’t fit in those anymore than people of size fit in the “normal” cars.

Last edited:
It's not really on them to make sure every seat fits every person. Already many kids are too short to ride x, y, and z. I think every single ride seat accomodates a person 100 lbs overweight. Once you're getting into the 150, 200lbs over weight, it's a bit much to expect companies to cater to that. I'm not judging obese people, but it's a numbers game. Spending the money to make every single thing work for a percentage of people that are frankly huge when compared to the average doesn't make sense.

If you don't like this answer, it is more than likely the absolute reality. Economics dictate these things.

Probably because they can fit more seats on a ride this way. So more people can ride at once. Makes sense to me.
It could also be because it's unsafe for smaller sized people to ride in a ride where they won't fit properly. Too large a seat can be a bad thing too.

The modified seating isn't bigger, as far as I know.

The side seats on FJ allow for the harness to have fewer clicks and be locked, but it locks just the same if you're smaller. The modified seating on Hulk locks up further, but it locks down just the same if you're smaller. Not sure about Gringotts, because my then-husband couldn't ride it anyway and I've never been in the back row.

(A TM I met said that she had been part of the Gringotts safety rides, and that they were encouraged to try to escape from it. And because of that testing, they put the shin pads in. Not sure how shin pads could keep someone in when they could otherwise escape.)

The modification is in the harness/lap bar, not the seats themselves, as far as I have experienced.

Except for on Dudley DoRight, where it's the ADA accessible log. Not sure what the difference was on that one as it's been a long time since I've ridden it.

The modified seating isn't bigger, as far as I know.

The side seats on FJ allow for the harness to have fewer clicks and be locked, but it locks just the same if you're smaller. The modified seating on Hulk locks up further, but it locks down just the same if you're smaller. Not sure about Gringotts, because my then-husband couldn't ride it anyway and I've never been in the back row.

(A TM I met said that she had been part of the Gringotts safety rides, and that they were encouraged to try to escape from it. And because of that testing, they put the shin pads in. Not sure how shin pads could keep someone in when they could otherwise escape.)

The modification is in the harness/lap bar, not the seats themselves, as far as I have experienced.

Except for on Dudley DoRight, where it's the ADA accessible log. Not sure what the difference was on that one as it's been a long time since I've ridden it.

Curious about the ADA accessible log, since I had extreme difficulty getting out of one of the regular logs last time I went--and that was when I was at my lowest adult weight. I'm tall and the Dudley DoRight logs trap my legs so I can't bend my knees, leaving me to dead lift my entire body with my arms at a very awkward angle. Can the ADA log be requested, or is it reserved only for guests who have formally sought accommodations? I'd get them not wanting just anyone to ask for it since it'd make the wait longer for people with disabilities, but I had such a bad experience with it that I've just given up on riding Ripsaw Falls otherwise.

Last edited:
It's not really on them to make sure every seat fits every person. Already many kids are too short to ride x, y, and z. I think every single ride seat accomodates a person 100 lbs overweight. Once you're getting into the 150, 200lbs over weight, it's a bit much to expect companies to cater to that. I'm not judging obese people, but it's a numbers game. Spending the money to make every single thing work for a percentage of people that are frankly huge when compared to the average doesn't make sense.

If you don't like this answer, it is more than likely the absolute reality. Economics dictate these things.

Yeah, I still don't see that as a viable reason, as Disney earns a lot more than Universal, has a lot more rides than Universal, and doesn't nearly get as many reports, or complaints about things not being "Pooh sized" and also doesn't get many complaints their children are slipping, or getting out of ride vehicles and they specialize in small children. Even their adult aimed rides do not get nearly as many comments, or posts with the question, "Am I able to ride this ride?"

The average American is 195 lbs. That is calculated by a median. Which means there are a lot of smaller people, but also quite large people. America has increasing becoming bigger rather than smaller for decades which is why the average weight is almost at 200.

Suppose the question shouldn't be, why do we still have modified seating, but rather, why are they modifying it, but still being restrictive? Because at the end of the day, I maybe able to ride it, but some others cannot, and some of those people who cannot, can still ride things at other theme parks and able to do with without "modified seating". The question I suppose should be, if you're offering modified seating, why can't you make it even better for that "percentage of people"?

Curious about the ADA accessible log, since I had extreme difficulty getting out of one of the regular logs last time I went--and that was when I was at my lowest adult weight. I'm tall and the Dudley DoRight logs trap my legs so I can't bend my knees, leaving me to dead lift my entire body with my arms at a very awkward angle. Can the ADA log be requested, or is it reserved only for guests who have formally sought accommodations? I'd get them not wanting just anyone to ask for it since it'd make the wait longer for people with disabilities, but I had such a bad experience with it that I've just given up on riding Ripsaw Falls otherwise.

It's even worse when you put on some weight - and it's not that you have to dead lift more weight - it's that not only can you not bend your knees if you're taller, but when you start to lift, your thighs hit the bar after about 2" of lift. So you have to push back with your heels about an inch, lift, push back, lift, etc., etc., etc. until your knees finally clear and you can bend them.

As a pooh sized woman I understand the question of why not add more modified seating and have that modified seating more comfortable/accommodating. I do think this is a valid question as it doesn't seem like it would be that hard for companies to do. Maybe it is our naivete about how these coasters are made as the comparison between Disney and Universal is a valid one.

I also see the other side of the argument regarding the economics and safety of these rollercoasters/other types of attractions. I think it is a hard thing to balance but there definitely should be a better way to accomplish both goals.

Yeah, I still don't see that as a viable reason, as Disney earns a lot more than Universal, has a lot more rides than Universal, and doesn't nearly get as many reports, or complaints about things not being "Pooh sized" and also doesn't get many complaints their children are slipping, or getting out of ride vehicles and they specialize in small children. Even their adult aimed rides do not get nearly as many comments, or posts with the question, "Am I able to ride this ride?"

The average American is 195 lbs. That is calculated by a median. Which means there are a lot of smaller people, but also quite large people. America has increasing becoming bigger rather than smaller for decades which is why the average weight is almost at 200.

Suppose the question shouldn't be, why do we still have modified seating, but rather, why are they modifying it, but still being restrictive? Because at the end of the day, I maybe able to ride it, but some others cannot, and some of those people who cannot, can still ride things at other theme parks and able to do with without "modified seating". The question I suppose should be, if you're offering modified seating, why can't you make it even better for that "percentage of people"?

I deleted a lot of my last comment because I felt self conscious about how much I shared, but I want to agree with this point re: the Disney comparison. Even when I'm not at goal weight, I've never had trouble fitting on a Disney thrill ride--not even in Disneyland Paris, which I visited at my very heaviest and which I expected to be less accommodating in general. Never once was there a moment where I wondered if I'd be able to ride Tower of Terror or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. It's perfectly possible to build thrill rides that accommodate a wider range of body sizes and shapes. I can see where it's harder with unusual seating configurations like Flight of Passage (which almost broke my streak--I just barely fit in it, but that was more because of my height), but Universal's thrill rides don't use that kind of straddling seat--even the new Hagrid rollercoaster's motorbikes look like a modified bucket seat that just has a bar between your feet.

The other thing that strikes me is that if they're going to modify seating by just having the shoulder harness lock further out from the seat, that doesn't help everyone--that just helps people who carry their weight in front. At Kings Island earlier this summer my big issue was that I couldn't always sit all the way back in the seats because they were too narrow for me. I really appreciated that their modified seats on the Banshee were actually wider...and that the queue was clearly marked to show you where to go to get in line for them.

It's even worse when you put on some weight - and it's not that you have to dead lift more weight - it's that not only can you not bend your knees if you're taller, but when you start to lift, your thighs hit the bar after about 2" of lift. So you have to push back with your heels about an inch, lift, push back, lift, etc., etc., etc. until your knees finally clear and you can bend them.

:scared: This is why I'm not even planning to try on my upcoming trip! I don't get embarrassed about things like being turned away from rides (sad, but not embarrassed), but struggling to remove myself from a Ripsaw Falls log was mortifying. Having worked at a theme park I know why they're not allowed to help guests in that kind of situation, but it's just...awful.

Oh it's been so long... I can't remember if I'd read about it here, or if the TM at the bottom of the line mentioned it. When we got to the seating TM he asked for it, we waited until it came around again, and we were seated. It still involves using upper body strength, but there was more room for his legs or something like that.

Even when I'm not at goal weight, I've never had trouble fitting on a Disney thrill ride

Lucky. xH couldn't ride two rides at disneyland. The no-longer-in-existence ride that was a lot like Doom...Maliboomer? Those two rides are like Hulk, where you sit and then the harness has to click down AND have the little seatbelt buckle work. He couldn't get the buckle to work. (nor could he on Hulk, and I think he never even tried Doom) The other ride is the renamed former-Mulholland Madness now-Goofy's Sky School. That day sucked because it was a trip while he was in the diagnosis process for a pituitary gland tumor AND apparently everyone around us on that ride was in running for biggest jerks on the planet. We'd also made the mistake of seating our son with him, and son was too young to ride alone, so when xH couldn't put the lapbar down he had to get out and I had to get out and move. It was awful and awkward and rotten and the "humans" in line with us were absolultely horrid. Given that the tumor creates prolactin, which causes extra emotions, it was a horrible horrible day for him and also for me supporting him.

He's 5'10" and solidly in the 300 range, and learned to enjoy Universal for other reasons, not the big-fun-ride reasons. Meanwhile, I, the relative chicken, got to ride those things with our son. So xH sat alone while I had my wits terrified out of me... At least the kidlet had fun on the rides!

(I've written about all of this before when we were married, so I hope it doesn't come across as me being gossipy or rude about him. The poor guy has THE most messed up metabolism I've ever known of, and then he has the tumor on top of it all. It's an awful situation and I feel terrible for him about it all.)

The other thing that strikes me is that if they're going to modify seating by just having the shoulder harness lock further out from the seat, that doesn't help everyone

Correct.

xH never was able to ride any of the rides he yearned to ride. Even out at US Hollywood he can't even ride Hippogriff, because the restraints are more like Mummy/Gringott's.

It is what it is. The manufacturers make what they make.

I'm sure that if Universal could cause the manufacturers to make rides with seats that are actually molded differently, they would have done so by now.

This goes both ways. I’m very petite and have had rides where I felt like I was flying out of the seat and not in a good way. I try to look at these size issues from all angles. Sometimes it’s just as hard for someone that is small as well as if you are larger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter