Why do you like POFQ?

lynnirene

Earning My Ears
And can you convince me I will?? :)

Background: My husband and I just decided to take a trip with my 15 month old son and my family (they're staying off site) in early January.

We previously stayed in Port Orleans Riverside, and had an ok time, but it was the second half of a split stay following the Contemporary, so it just didn't measure up.

Last time went, we started in the Swan, and liked it. We liked the convenience of the boats to Epcot and DHS the best, I think.

So, we were deciding between POFQ (smaller than Riverside, and no dogs) and the Swan. I was looking at a Costco deal (room plus tickets) for the Swan that was about $500 more.

Decided on POFQ due to the price difference mainly.

I stupidly made my ticket order with my room reservation and didn't realize the tickets were non-refundable...I really should have known!

I also stupidly looked up Costco prices again today and they have a much lower deal, making the difference more like $200.

But now I think I'm stuck with POFQ (unless I could somehow transfer my tickets to someone else, or if we go again in 2018 I suppose).

I know a lot of people really like PO, but right now I'm really just stressing that I made the wrong choice. Any reassurance?

We’ve stayed at all levels, and POFQ is prob my favorite resort. I’ve also liked Swan and Contemporary, but the theming and overall feel of POFQ is just wonderful. It’s small and feels homey (in a good way.)
Plus your 15 month old will love the sprayground there, and I love the pool.
There’s also the food court. Even though there’s no sit down, the resort is small enough that the food court experience isn’t miserable. Plus they have great beignets and the most delicious ice cream sandwiches.
Compared to Swan, POFQ just has much more of a Disney feel. The room size and in room amenities are similar at both. Even though the pool is way bigger at Swan, POFQ’s pool area is more family friendly. The food court is better than the Dolphin food court (although Swan beats out POFQ on the restaurant choices). The bus system at POFQ was the best at any level, and they have a boat to Disney Springs.
Plus you get the convenience of DME to and from the airport, and the convenience of using magic bands for charging and room key.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d definitely stay at Swan again. But I’d actually pay a little more to stay at POFQ if given the opportunity.

Best of luck!

And can you convince me I will?? :)

Background: My husband and I just decided to take a trip with my 15 month old son and my family (they're staying off site) in early January.

We previously stayed in Port Orleans Riverside, and had an ok time, but it was the second half of a split stay following the Contemporary, so it just didn't measure up.

Last time went, we started in the Swan, and liked it. We liked the convenience of the boats to Epcot and DHS the best, I think.

So, we were deciding between POFQ (smaller than Riverside, and no dogs) and the Swan. I was looking at a Costco deal (room plus tickets) for the Swan that was about $500 more.

Decided on POFQ due to the price difference mainly.

I stupidly made my ticket order with my room reservation and didn't realize the tickets were non-refundable...I really should have known!

I also stupidly looked up Costco prices again today and they have a much lower deal, making the difference more like $200.

But now I think I'm stuck with POFQ (unless I could somehow transfer my tickets to someone else, or if we go again in 2018 I suppose).

I know a lot of people really like PO, but right now I'm really just stressing that I made the wrong choice. Any reassurance?

Well any moderate that's on the back half of a split stay that starts with a deluxe will probably be disappointing I imagine!

I've never stayed at POFQ (I prefer POR) but for a whole host of reasons we went with POFQ for our next trip. The reason it appeals to me is it's compact size (lugging a stroller that's super important to me now). Sure there's no sit down for dinner at FQ but it's like a 10 minute walk to POR for Boatwrights. You'll be taking a bus everywhere, but there is the boat to disney springs.

We’ve stayed at all levels, and POFQ is prob my favorite resort. I’ve also liked Swan and Contemporary, but the theming and overall feel of POFQ is just wonderful. It’s small and feels homey (in a good way.)
Plus your 15 month old will love the sprayground there, and I love the pool.
There’s also the food court. Even though there’s no sit down, the resort is small enough that the food court experience isn’t miserable. Plus they have great beignets and the most delicious ice cream sandwiches.
Compared to Swan, POFQ just has much more of a Disney feel. The room size and in room amenities are similar at both. Even though the pool is way bigger at Swan, POFQ’s pool area is more family friendly. The food court is better than the Dolphin food court (although Swan beats out POFQ on the restaurant choices). The bus system at POFQ was the best at any level, and they have a boat to Disney Springs.
Plus you get the convenience of DME to and from the airport, and the convenience of using magic bands for charging and room key.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d definitely stay at Swan again. But I’d actually pay a little more to stay at POFQ if given the opportunity.

Best of luck!

Thank you, that helps! I think we'll be using the food court a fair amount, so that's a plus. I'm not sure about the pool and sprayground, though, since we're going in January. The last 2 January trips I've taken, it has been too cold for swimming.

Apparently, my husband and I don't really care as much about theming in our hotels...I know that's a main complaint if the S/D and actually the Contemporary, too, but that part really never bothered us.

This is our first trip with the little one, so we really have no idea how it's going to go, or what we should plan on, which is part of what's making me nervous about it all, I think!

Well any moderate that's on the back half of a split stay that starts with a deluxe will probably be disappointing I imagine!

I've never stayed at POFQ (I prefer POR) but for a whole host of reasons we went with POFQ for our next trip. The reason it appeals to me is it's compact size (lugging a stroller that's super important to me now). Sure there's no sit down for dinner at FQ but it's like a 10 minute walk to POR for Boatwrights. You'll be taking a bus everywhere, but there is the boat to disney springs.

Yeah, the compact size is one of the reasons we were considering it, for sure.

I also like the idea that we can just open our door and be outside. The little man likes the outdoors and sometimes when he grumpy just letting him run around outside a bit calms him down. That's still possible at the S/D but does require a little more effort.

And oh yes, we definitely didn't plan our split stay the best...but there were some reasons it had to be that way :/ I think we both have a negative feeling in our minds from our first night we stayed there. We were tired, hungry, etc, and had a big (and only) argument of the trip.

Last edited:
You did NOT make the wrong choice!!!

POFQ is small, compact, and it won't take even 5 minutes to get to the bus stop at a brisk walk. The staff are awesome (especially Arneil the doorman) and the pool is a lot of fun. The lobby smell is heavenly. The food court is good comfort food, despite being cooked in a cafeteria setting.

And if you get tired of the rush of Disney Parks lifestyle, you can walk pathways for hours, rent a horse/carriage ride, head over to Riverside and explore there, take a boat ferry to Disney Springs or other places on property...

YMMV but I think POFQ is supremely relaxing!!! I almost feel like I could encounter the Aristocats playing jazz around the corner despite the fact that the movie takes place in Paris...

Yeah, the compact size is one of the reasons we were considering it, for sure.

I also like the idea that we can just open our door and be outside. The little man likes the outdoors and sometimes when he grumpy just letting him run around outside a bit calms him down. That's still possible at the S/D but does require a little more effort.

And oh yes, we definitely didn't plan our split stay the best...but there were some reasons it had to be that way :/ I think we both have a negative feeling in our minds from our first night we stayed there. We were tired, hungry, etc, and had a big (and only) argument of the trip.

Yeah it's weird the things that taint a memory of a place.

My family loves POFQ, and my son decided it was his favorite resort when he was two (and still asks if we can stay at "the French Quarter.").

The size is perfect with little ones because you won't have to walk far at all at the end of the day when everyone is exhausted. Some parts of the splash pad area will probably be too intense for a 15 month old (if its even warm enough), but there are smaller water elements along the edge that would be okay. There is also a little playground, and we love the boat to Disney Springs.

I also like walking along the water with my son in his stroller trying to get him to nap.

Also, the cast members there have always been phenomenal, it has a more calm/relaxing theming, and you can get beignets.

FQ is our favorite resort (2 out 4 trips) It is compact everything is a 15 minute walk at most from your room. For a moderate the pool is incredible and they did a lot of kid activities on our last trip. Ii doesn't have a TS restaurant but Boatwrights at PoR is just a 20 minute walk away and the CS is a good one.

Thanks everyone! I am getting excited! I also watched a video walk-through of the resort, and seeing it helped me too. I loved all the trees, and it looked like my little man would really enjoy just running around outside in the green space.

I love Swan/Dolphin... but my fave onsite is probably POFQ...I love how small and pretty it is there, I love the river and the walkway....I don;t think it's a mistake at all. (I love food court too)

So far POFQ has been our favorite hands down! Love that it's a small, intimate resort. The food court and pool were never insanely busy. The interaction with other visitors and staff made it feel like you were walking around your neighborhood. Your room is always close to everything regardless of the placement and to us the theming was great. Also, the boat ride to Disney Springs is a nice convenience.

As for POFQ, my wife and I have toured every Disney resort except Wilderness lodge. We REALLY liked POFQ for the following reasons.
  1. Love the walkways with overarching trees and manicured gardens
  2. It's small size makes it very easy to navigate and get to the main building and bus stop
  3. Very nice pool (with splash area for the kids)
  4. Boat access to Disney Springs
  5. Easy access to POR
Dan

We stayed there last year and loved it. My kids 8 and 5 now insist we have to go back. It’s very pretty because they did a great job with the theming. Lots of curlicued wrought iron and manicured hedges with little miniature streets all along the paths.
With a toddler you will love that your building is less than a five minute walk from food, bus, and pool. Everything is right there.
They renovated the food court a year ago so that’s all fresh and new. So many choices for breakfast. Kids love the Mickey waffles and beignets. I loved the shrimp and grits and the po boy, start my day with some spicy andouille! They have bland food too though ;)

As a previous poster mentioned, don’t miss their “fancy man” in the lobby.
https://www.wdwhints.com/2015/08/spotlight-meet-arneil-from-disneys-port-orleans-french-quarter/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter