Why do they check the rooms?

leebee

DIS Veteran
Maybe I missed it in the threads (and if so, I'm sorry), but what is the excuse for random room checks at Disney resort hotels? If anyone's doing anything illegal, don't you think they'd hide it from obvious view? How did Disney explain this new policy?

Maybe I missed it in the threads (and if so, I'm sorry), but what is the excuse for random room checks at Disney resort hotels?

They are invoking their right to do so. Which we agree when we accept the Terms and Conditions when renting a room.

How did Disney explain this new policy?

They haven't. There's a couple of theories, but nothing from Disney.

Last edited:
Disney hasn't explained it. There are a couple of theories, one more plausible than the other. The implausible? They're keeping an eye out for potential mass shooters and/or human traffickers by popping in once a day, not opening any drawers or looking in any bags, and popping right back out. Implausible for two reasons - one, it isn't going to catch anyone interested in hiding what they're doing and two, it is being applied without regard to the probability of a resort being used for either of those things (a mass shooter isn't going to have much success from the window of his ground-floor, lake-view room at CBR, and a human trafficker isn't going to pay $500+/night to use Poly as a base for profit-driven criminal activity). The plausible? Simple CYA strategy - if they don't do checks and something happens they could be sued, so they preemptively instituted a policy aimed at proving they take security seriously.

Maybe I missed it in the threads (and if so, I'm sorry), but what is the excuse for random room checks at Disney resort hotels? If anyone's doing anything illegal, don't you think they'd hide it from obvious view? How did Disney explain this new policy?
To cover their ***es. Even though it probably won't help, they can't be accused of not being proactive.

To cover their ***es. Even though it probably won't help, they can't be accused of not being proactive.
I agree with this. These room checks are making no one any safer. In multiple instances the people inside the room confirmed that they just popped their head in ..you can't see anything if you just pop in your head inside the door ..if a person wanted to hide something it would be hidden. I'm all for safety but this just seems to be a waste of time and without a clear explanation of the policy it's just irritating everyone.

Last edited:
It's just a knee jerk PR reaction to recent events in the news........
Eventually some bean counter will tally up how much it costs to have people go room to room and accomplish nothing.
They'll quietly stop the practice and pat themselves on the back for placating the easily frightened customers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!