Why did MDE let me book FP well before 60 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad I stumbled on this thread because I was able to make fast passes today and couldn't figure out why. Here's my complicated situation.

My husband and I are AP. Rest of my family have military tickets which I linked this morning. We are staying in 3 separate rooms 5/25-6/1 at Saratoga which were an exchange through RCI. Last night my husband and I added two nights at OKW at the front end of the trip using DVC points (just us on the reservation).

Today, I can book FP's for everyone for the whole period including OKW & Saratoga stay. However, it seems that my husband and I have to be included in the FP group for it to book. So if I just try to book some family members without me or my husband it errors out. If I include at least one of us, it books just fine.

My last visit was October of last year.

So, this confuses me! I am very glad you were able to book FP for your entire 9 night stay! However, the only difference I see is that you have two on-site stays at official Disney resorts (OKW/SSR) while I have a Disney Springs hotel for mine. By all accounts, you should only get 7 days of FP, not 9, but you were able to get all 9, correct? So, what is the real issue here - AP/Split Stay/Random BS?

So, this confuses me! I am very glad you were able to book FP for your entire 9 night stay! However, the only difference I see is that you have two on-site stays at official Disney resorts (OKW/SSR) while I have a Disney Springs hotel for mine. By all accounts, you should only get 7 days of FP, not 9, but you were able to get all 9, correct? So, what is the real issue here - AP/Split Stay/Random BS?
No, there is a bigger difference, they are two DVC stays, consecutive DVC stays (no matter how they are booked) are treated as one continuous reservation for booking FP+ (AP or not), this is because often DVC can't get their entire stay at one resort due to limited availability.

Had they had say OKW/POP, then they would have encountered the same issue as you. And yes, it is all quite complicated and the only reason I know my way around it as well as I do is because our last trip was with CMs who signed us in and that has its own sets of complications, like the CM can book the entire stay, but they can only book 3 days of FPs on their guest passes and we are DVC, so I pay attention to the DVC threads about split stays just in case.

Yes, all 9 days could be booked. I only booked 5 days for everyone else as that is all there tickets are for.

Even before the changes, let's say you had the following happen:
You had a stay in early May for 8 nights and then another stay say in late June for 5 nights, you would not be able to book at FPs for the stay in July until the stay in May is completed OR the AP help desk overrides and allows the second stay to book FPs.

Incorrect. If both stays are on property, it would always let you book FPs for both trips.

The issue is that for FP+ with an AP, it counts "on site" days. The non-Disney resorts, even if they have 60 day FP+ booking, are not considered "on site" for these purposes. It has nothing to do with a split stay, except that if all 10 nights were on-property (even if split on-property), they would be able to book 11 days of FPs.

However, the only difference I see is that you have two on-site stays at official Disney resorts (OKW/SSR) while I have a Disney Springs hotel for mine. By all accounts, you should only get 7 days of FP, not 9, but you were able to get all 9, correct? So, what is the real issue here - AP/Split Stay/Random BS?

This is exactly the difference -- and the reason.

Disney Springs hotels are not considered "on property" for AP FP+ purposes. They have a 60-day window, sure, but they are not "on property".

Again, I very much dislike the rule... but that is what is going on. It has nothing to do with a split-stay.

Incorrect. If both stays are on property, it would always let you book FPs for both trips.

The issue is that for FP+ with an AP, it counts "on site" days. The non-Disney resorts, even if they have 60 day FP+ booking, are not considered "on site" for these purposes. It has nothing to do with a split stay, except that if all 10 nights were on-property (even if split on-property), they would be able to book 11 days of FPs.
That is definitely not what many others have reported in other threads over the years.

That is definitely not what many others have reported in other threads over the years.

I've had an AP for 3 years and have done numerous trips within 60 days of one another. Never once had a problem. Because we stay on property for every trip.

@anomamatt - So, let me ask you this: If I had a split stay at Poly and at POP, would that then count as a continuous stay or a split stay? I could have booked all my FP+ at one time? CMs aren't forthcoming with this info, which is why I asked.

consecutive DVC stays (no matter how they are booked) are treated as one continuous reservation for booking FP+ (AP or not)

Just to keep things accurate. As of last week, this is not true. I'm DVC and setup a few tests... the stays did not span the FP window.

@anomamatt - So, let me ask you this: If I had a split stay at Poly and at POP, would that then count as a continuous stay or a split stay? I could have booked all my FP+ at one time? CMs aren't forthcoming with this info, which is why I asked.

It's still a split-stay and you will have two FP+ 60-day windows (with the recent changes). But it will not invoke the "AP penalty" and you would be able to book FP+ across the entire stay.

Some CMs don't know all the rules, unfortunately.

Disney Springs hotels are not considered "on property" for AP FP+ purposes. They have a 60-day window, sure, but they are not "on property".
But for DSprings AP guests who have had more than 7-day stays with more than 7 days of park visits, the AP HelpDesk completed their FP bookings for them without the need of asking for Supervisors or Managers.

And when Split Stays included onsite resort + DSprings, there weren’t any noted problems.

When I have previously tried >7 nights in a DS hotel with an AP, it did not allow booking >7 days of FPs. I will setup a test tonight and report back.

My understanding was always that DS hotels = off-site for AP FP purposes. Which is why we never stayed there.

When I have previously tried >7 nights in a DS hotel with an AP, it did not allow booking >7 days of FPs. I will setup a test tonight and report back.

My understanding was always that DS hotels = off-site for AP FP purposes. Which is why we never stayed there.
Please do report back. I have the DSprings FP Sticky and APs have reported no problems with booking with the HelpDesk’s assistance.

Just reporting back...we are AP holders - new vouchers for this summer. The window opened for me yesterday to book 5/31 and today to book 6/1. My friends who arrive on 6/1 have a combination of APs, date-based tickets, DVC stay on points, and cash stay at AOA. 5 of the 6 in her party were in WDW 3/2-3/6. The window did not open for her family today. However, I can add them as part of my FP party. Just tested it out...didn't keep it without talking to her.

I'm a tad confused...I check in 5/22 and my FP window opens 3/23. How is yours open today when you check in after me...on 5/31?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!