Why Are All Homes In North Texas Brick?

DisnyMama

<font color=blue>Can't keep my hands off of Pete's
I've lived here now for just over 3 months and have wondered why all the homes and townhomes including mine are all covered in brick around the front and sides except the backs are painted either white, off white or a very light beige. I love the brick look and the fact that neighbors aren't competing with each others house colors. When I was living in California on our street you had houses painted white, sand, light blue, yellow (mine), rose and green.
People were always trying to outdo each other when it came to painting their house. I really like the brick but have been wondering it there is a reason why EVERY home is brick. :wave2:

Welcome :wave2: I live in Bedford which is right by DFW airport and now that you say it, you're right.. I never thought of it or realized it but this is common to see this.. but I dont know if there is a reason.. Ours is brick in front and sides and not completely in the back.. maybe to save brick? I dont know though :confused3

I think it is cheaper, seriously. My house is 100% brick. We love it.
That is my guess....Welcome to Texas! We have been here for 1yr & 1/2.:wave:

Because that's what sells....as you noted the backs are all wood since that's cheaper, but the fronts are all brick.

I grew up down there and don't remember a single house that wasn't brick except maybe the very poor neighborhoods w/old saltbox homes.

I don't think Texans would buy anything that wasn't brick.

Depends on your location. Here in North Texas we have lots of clay soil. So we have lots of brick foundries. Therefore brick is cheaper to us. In the northwest, timber is readily available therefore you have mostly siding.

You'll appreciate brick once the Texas sun takes it's toll on what siding you do have.

Oh yeah...also some cities here have ordinances requiring 90+% brick exteriors.

What Herc said. And, the Texas sun fades and cracks even the best paint so darn fast..............we did have an older home for our first one. Painting and scraping every year got old very fast.

Doesn't matter where you live, per square foot, brick is the more expensive option.

FYI...

Vinyl is 2.62 per square foot
Hardboard is 3.08 psf
Synthetic stucco is 5.23
Brick is 5.25

per the gobrick website.

Brick is manufactured in all regions of the US, but the percentage is higher in the south....but so is consumption (ie you use more than you make anyway).

I grew up in north texas w/realtor parents...I can tell you that they sold brick homes, brick homes, brick homes as that's what people wanted. Vinyl siding is a more durable option than wood but people don't like the looks of it so it doesn't sell.

Also, bricks are crappy insulators, so it's not a "keeps the cool air in" thing.

challada said:
Doesn't matter where you live, per square foot, brick is the more expensive option.

It does when you factor in the shipping. Especially brick which is heavier then all the other options.

challada said:
I don't think Texans would buy anything that wasn't brick.

I live in West Texas and limestone is very popular here. Our house is a combo of brick and limestone and I absolutely love it. It reminds me of the hill country!

I don't know if this is true but I was taught that you should have a brick house in the south because of tornado risk and that its sturdier than any other housing material. My grandfather was a carpenter and built their brick house with just having wood as a trim. Of course its also easier than constantly repainting like someone else said.

Hercules10 said:
It does when you factor in the shipping. Especially brick which is heavier then all the other options.

Yes, brick is MORE than I quoted above for some areas, but the pricing that I found was for the south, not the NW.

You still have shipping of the bricks in Texas as well since Texas houses use more brick than is produced in Texas, so they must be coming from somewhere. :confused3

DisnyMama said:
When I was living in California on our street you had houses painted white, sand, light blue, yellow (mine), rose and green.
People were always trying to outdo each other when it came to painting their house. I really like the brick but have been wondering it there is a reason why EVERY home is brick. :wave2:

Really? I think all the colors like you described in CA sounds much prettier than just brick. But, then, I also HATE those housing developments where all the houses are one of three styles, etc. I love old neighborhoods with lots of different styles, colors, materials, and things like that.

I've lived here all my life and never really questioned why a lot of the homes are brick. I guess that's because I grew up in a home in an older neighborhood (built in the late 40s and 50s) where most of the houses were either painted (because they had all wood exteriors) or had that ugly siding (which ours has).

I really like the look of brick and I love ours. The color is called something like Irish Pub. :)

We have about 40-50 bricks in the garage left over from when they bricked our house because they didn't order enough initially and when they got the second load in, they had a bunch left over which they gave to us to keep. :)

TOV

It is so funny you asked about this because DH and I had a rolling discussion all the way from Dallas to Des Moines this summer about why we did not pass any brick homes.
When we got to Des Moines for our family reunion I asked my Uncle. He said that siding is a much better insulator and wind break than brick since brick was porous.
Not sure if it is right, but it made sense to me.

Wow! I love all the different answers. What I was thinking was also about the tornado thing and if it had anything to do with the Texas winds. Boy it's windy here! I'm a gal that likes to wear skirts and dresses (casual) almost all the time but these winds make it kind of tough...if ya know what I mean. :rotfl: Anyhoo, In CA the homes were mostly stucco and some siding but not usually windy except for the occasional Santa Ana's. So I was thinking that due to the winds here that maybe the brick took a beating better than stucco and siding. In my opinion the all the brick homes blend nicely into the natural landscaping. They compliment and don't detract from mother nature. I don't notice "tracs" of homes so much here and I think that is due to the natural look of the brick. People have said to me since we moved here "how can you stand it there, it's just flat". I tell them they are so wrong. I think Texas is a beautiful state. I grew up only seeing the panhandle area (Amarillo, Canyon and Sunray) where it's mostly all farm land. This time when we came from CA we came through El Paso and that 600 + mile drive to McKinney was enjoyable. And I will add, folks weren't kidding when they told me how friendly people in Texas were. I have experienced more general politeness and friendliness in 3 1/2 months than I would in 3 years in CA. Texans really do have a reason to be proud of their state and we are happy to be here. :wave:

...but this thread got me thinking about something. I grew up in Phoenix, where virtually all the homes were single-story concrete block houses. Pretty much everyone in our neighborhood just painted the exterior block a different pastel color. We had 1 neighbor who had put wood siding on the front, and another who put aluminum siding on the whole house in the '60s, but that was it.

I was amazed when I moved away from Phoenix to find that not everyone lived in houses like those, and that most people had basements, 2nd stories, attics, etc.! I have to admit, I still find it a little weird to have staircases in my house! :teeth:

Another reason that was explained to me is that termites are much more of a problem in this part of the US, as opposed to up north, where there's a long, freezing winter. So building out of wood wouldn't be a great idea.

Masonry homes sell here. It's that simple.

Between the insects and humidity, it helps to have a "concrete" house. When I was selling new homes, it was our #1 selling point. We had almost no wood on the exterior; even the siding was cement board. My selling points were: no warping, termite-resistant, no rotting and non-combustible, which helps with insurance costs.

In the Hill Country, you'll see less brick and more stone. Here in Houston, stone is considered an upgrade. Brick with an aged appearance is becomming more and more popular as well.

buckylarue said:
...but this thread got me thinking about something. I grew up in Phoenix, where virtually all the homes were single-story concrete block houses. Pretty much everyone in our neighborhood just painted the exterior block a different pastel color. We had 1 neighbor who had put wood siding on the front, and another who put aluminum siding on the whole house in the '60s, but that was it.

I was amazed when I moved away from Phoenix to find that not everyone lived in houses like those, and that most people had basements, 2nd stories, attics, etc.! I have to admit, I still find it a little weird to have staircases in my house! :teeth:

That reminds me.. :rotfl:

Why are ALL the new/newish houses up here where I live in Michigan various shades of brown? :rolleyes: One of the reasons I LOVE going to Florida is that ppl have colorful houses. lol

Everything is sooooooooooo blah up here. Although a township near where I live is putting up BEAUTIFUL houses with blue/ hunter green siding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter