Why are ADRs so hard to make during free dining?

Allensfan

Mouseketeer
Let me explain my question dear Disney lovers...

I had booked the dining package for my Sept 10th trip and paid for it. Of course then free dining came along which is fine, and I had already booked my rsvps by then. But now I hear that the resturants are filling up and ADRs (at least that is what I think they are called) are hard to get. BUT I thought we were going in Sept because the crowds were supposed to be super low...hence the reason we picked it...and how can that be if all the resturants are already full?? Should I be expecting huge crowds, is my information wrong??

This board and all of you are great! :thumbsup2

will only be a little bigger. Those who would have come in Sept and stayed offsite may now stay onsite, and eat onsite. Also, those who were originally intending to stay onsite will now also eat all their meals onsite. So, the number of people in the parks would be about the same or less (since everybody will be eating/riding/eating/riding).

That's right, plus the fact that a lot of people that would normally only eat Counter Service are now eating a table service meal every day.

i have always heard that parks are not to busy, but the table service gets busy, because like said above most people just eat counter service...when it comes to free dining got have to be flexable about your ADR's

brooke :sunny:

i have not even called about my ADR, i might be going sept 4 thru 10, but now my best freind and her family want to go sept 30 thru 6, and her and her husband takes for ever to finally meake ressies.......

This is just a hunch, but I think a lot of people who take advantage of the free dining are the more educated and experienced Disney travelers, so they know where they want to eat, what books up early and they get their ADR's made well in advance. And, like previous posters have said, they're also taking advantage of being able to eat more TS meals than they normally would. Good luck!

I don't think the parks will be too crowded, but the restaurants will because of all the free diners. I never go to Table Service restaurants, but with free dining, I am going every night of our trip!

Also, there are probably a few people like me. I had already booked all my ADRs before the free dining promo came out, but because most of my table service meals are "free", I added a couple of extra meals to pay OOP. I had already budgeted the money, and I figured all of those people on the plan would make the lines at CS longer. I'd rather pay a few extra dollars and be guaranteed a time (or at least near a set time) to eat in air-conditioned comfort.

When we were there last September, the parks were not crowded at all. I made my ADR's well in advance, and when I called back to make changes a couple of places only had availabilities after 8 pm. You should book in advance, you can always cancel or try to make changes later.

With the free dining, it's not like the old days, when you could book that day from your hotel and always get what you wanted.

Have fun. The DDP is the only way to go. :)

I'm not going until the end of Sept, but had no problems with any of my ADR's (booked them two weeks ago). I got everything I asked for. Just called about half an hour ago to make some changes and book some more and had absolutely no issue. Reservations are for four of us.

Here are mine:
Sept 30 - HDD 5:00pm show
Oct 1 - Coral Reef - 6:10pm
Oct 2 - Sci Fi - 6:10pm
Oct 3 - Wolfgang Pucks 6:00pm
Oct 4 - California Grill - 7:30pm
Oct 5 - Tony's Town Square 5:30pm (right before MNSSHP)
Oct 6 - Chef de France 7:00pm
Oct 7 - Luau 5:00pm
Oct 8 - Wolfgang Pucks - 6pm
Oct 9 - Chef Mickeys 6:10pm

Am I hitting the wrong restaurants - am I missing something??? or is it the that the times I am booking are not so popular?

We went 9/10 last year, and the park crowds were very low. I don't think we waited more than 10 minutes for anything. The popular restaurants were packed, but we made some changes to our ADRs while we were there and didn't have any problems. The only one I have had a problem with this trip (end of August) is Le Cellier-there are tables, but they are too late for us because of our 2 small children. I didn't really expect to get it for what times I wanted at 75 days out, free dining or not. Don't worry and have a great trip!

We were there last August into early Sept. when the had the free dining (which we didn't do last year) and I didn't really notice much difference other than it was harder to get something unplanned. We always try to leave one or two nights unplanned to go where the whim takes it, but I did find it harder than previous years to get a last minute booking. I wouldn't worry about it, I agree that the ADR's may be more crowded as most people are doing more TS than normal, but I don't think it translates into larger crowds within the parks themselves. Or at least I hope!

I called this afternoon and got every ADR I asked for. I even basically got to pick the times, except for one and that was Whispering Canyon. :thumbsup2

9/23 Chef Mickeys
9/24 2 CS (Counter Service)
9/25 Sci Fi Dine In and CS
9/26 CS and Whispering Canyon Cafe
9/27 Teppanyaki in Japan
---- Coral Reef
9/28 Undecided :scratchin
9/29 Undecided

Yep, no problem making ADRs here either for early Sept. Got all the places and times I wanted, and I just called the other day. I was worried there would be a big problem after reading things here.

I was not trying to get a reservation at CRT or LeCellier or Ohanas.

Portie

I had no problems getting my ADRs for Sept 5th-15th. Last year we were there the same time (the week of Labor Day) & had the Free Dining Plan & the crowds were very small & we had no problem making ADRs in the morning for that night if we needed. This year may be a little different because I think a lot of people found out about last year's Free Dining AFTER the fact & were watching for the promo this year & booked it! So it may be a little busier than last year, but oh well, it's Disney!

I had planned to pay for the DP (late August) and had my ADRs made before the promo came out. I have changed them a few times, and haven't had any problem getting what I wanted.

To the OP, how many in your party? We did have trouble a few times getting an ADR for 2. We changed our number to 3 to get a table. We had to do this last year too, and we were always seated at a table for 2 when we got there.

We were there last year and the crowds were not bad at all. We are going this year Sept 14-22 I made ADRs yesterday for Ohana's, Chef Mickeys and Boma and was able to ge the time I wanted. The only places i would really worry about is CRT and Le Cellier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter