Who's ready for soccer season to kick off?

klombar

Old timer
We hold our team meeting next Monday and then start practices right away. I know soccer means fall but I cant wait to get going again. I'm coaching a boys U-12 travel team this year.

I'm jealous! We don't get cranked up untill September!

we did 2 6 week instructional clinic sessions, and will be starting outdoor in the fall. (DS is 5YO) Someone tell me, does he need to have cleats, or are good sneakers going to be OK?

I would go with cleats. Just to get him used to them. Try them in practice first and if he is comfortable in them let him wear them in games.

Plus kids just love to play the part and cleats my bring him more self confidence.

I'm not sure about the 5 year olds, at DD's age, 9, they are required to have cleats. They should send you something and let you know. From personal experience playing soccer in sneakers, PARTICULARLY running shoes is bad news. Cross trainers aren't too bad.

Thanks guys, I was kind of leaning towards getting them. I remember from the Dark Ages (when I played Youth Soccer) that they said running shoes were too slippery. We haven't gotten anything from them yet, but at indoor (clinics) they let them wear whatever.

Oh yeah, Kev, what about that shaved head?????:p

Bet stands! If we win the states I'll do it. Of course every year there is less and less to loose.

Deb buy the cleats early and let him run around outside to break them in.

DS has double sessions soon. Oh to be young again!!! :p

My son started his team camp today for his U12 competitive team. 2 1/2 hours of practice a day every day this week and then 1 1/2 hours three times a week starting next week, a tournament in two weeks and then games every weekend starting the next weekend. We will get to see a lot of Colorado and some of Wyoming in the next three months.

He loves it and so do I...

My daughter wants to start a sibling club for all of the brothers and sisters "forced" to go to soccer games and practices...

ColoradoBuffaloMom,my youngest DS is on a travelling team and alot of the boys have younger sisters so I went out to the dollar store and bought each of the girls a set of pom poms in the colours of the team and the girls made up cheers and routines to do on the sidelines.
I wish we had a fall league up here in Canada where I live.It gets way too hot to be sitting out on the pitch watching these boys play and try to keep them cool and refreshed.I dont know where some of these boys gets their energy to run in this heat.

I just signed DS up for fall soccer this week. I believe they don't start until September and run through November. What exactly is U12, DS is 6 this year, so it is only his second year of soccer so I am not up on thingd. DS is very anxious to get started, but I don't think they will even begin practicing until school starts at the end of August.

:bounce::wave::bounce:

I think I'm ready. We just finished up with softball and dd should be getting a call anyday now from her coach (we have no clue who it is so it's always much anticipation wondering who will be her coach each season). We are part of AYSO so we go first game is last Saturday of August through the last Saturday of October. She really loves playing and is trying to decide if she will play on the school level this year too...I hope she does. She's a good soccer player.

The Scottish Football (soccer) Season begins on Saturday. I can't wait.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I signed DD up for her first year in soccer - she is 4. I got a call from the commissioner saying they were desparate for coaches - so guess what, I volunteered. I was an assistant for two years for my middle son. DS#1 is almost 17 and has been playing competitive soccer for 7 years.

DD was literally born into soccer - she arrived 5 weeks early during a soccer tournament and has been drug around to games all her life. Soccer is year round here so that means a lot of games. She can't wait to get her uniform and her own ball.

Wish me luck with the coaching!

Good for you cinlee! There are a couple of us that coach girl's soccer so if you have questions sing out! I started the same way..if someone doesn't volunteer we will cancel the season!

Webmaster Alex - thanks, I probably will need a lot of help. My DH started out like that with our oldest son's team and coached for seven years he has now been refereeing for about 5 years. He said he will help, but I have a feeling the girl's side will be a little different.

I think I will let another mom coordinate the matching hair thingies and pregame cheers.;)

Well... I have 9y/o girls team... SharonA has a team a little younger, OldKicker and OF COURSE Klombar are very experienced so there's plenty of help! I am even getting the hair and earring thing down..after every game I find a weird set of earrings in my pocket!

Hey Alex,

Might need to add me to that list. Got a call today from our coordinator, saying 'We need a little help, can you call me tomorrow?" I truly know NOTHING about soccer. I have coached swimming and diving for years, but know no technique of soccer.

Eeep, we'll see what happens.

Debbie

It's simple, you take the ball and kick it in the other team's net without using your hands... EASY RIGHT???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter