WHO YA GONNA CALL" 29 NIGHTS OF GHOSTBUSTERS, MONSTERS & MORE - A 2019 HHN/SFR/RPR TR

Is Minions a spinny motion simulator ride? (ala the deplorable pukey Mission Space at Epcot) :sick: If so, I cannot do that kind of ride and will be staying away!

We came out of the store happy we had gone in it today as it was deserted, so different from Horror nights, and the exit is close the fake New York Library.....we don't often wander down here except for when we go to the houses down that way.....it`s usually fairly quiet as there`s no reason to wander down, unless you want pictures of course.

i-qKLp45b-X2.jpg

i-b545JLq-X2.jpg

As we turned to go to The mummy, we saw Marilyn and her gals arrive to do their little performance...…we had seen them before of course, and they are entertaining.

It`s been a lot of years now, that Universal have started putting all sorts of street entertainment around the parks and a good deal of variety too and this was one that always attracted a crowd. Not as big a crowd as the Blues Brothers do, but it`s always popular.

i-dFNXSJN-X2.jpg

i-hm853bM-X2.jpg

i-3ZkRSLp-X2.jpg

i-7mjfmBZ-X2.jpg

After the performance they do have a photo opportunity available......

The Mummy is up next and I do wonder if it`ll be wise for me to do it today after Minions, but, I decide I love the ride too much to miss it even today.....so we go in and the regular line isn't very bad, maybe 25 minutes or so, so the Express line will be short. And it is, there are a few people in front of us and we are on the ride in no time...….

I maybe shouldn`t have done it...….but, I was glad I did.....it was so fast and the drop seemed a little....steeper today somehow!! Pure imagination of course, but it`s a fabulous ride and it was only after the last really fast part where your teeth rattle, did I feel a little off.....but it was fine.....Tom always loves this ride and I wouldn't hate for him to miss it because of me.

Although I do walk a little slower as the head does feel fuzzy again.....

We stop off for a bathroom break, and while Tom waits for me he snaps a few of these images......I honestly hadn't noticed much before as if I`m ever down this far it`s to see the Hogwarts Express pass.....usually I avoid it as it`s generally a smoking area, so not a pleasant place to be.

i-BDVX4F3-X2.jpg

We took it easy today as I was still feeling a tiny little bit delicate, not ill, just slightly as if you are thinking through cotton wool.

Seeing the scare zones during the day is something I`d rather not see....but they look so different and I prefer them at night with everything going on in them.....but many folks ask about what the parks look like during the day and will they see something that will haunt their children forever......the short answer is no. All the good stuff is covered up.......

This really was one of our favourite scare zones...….and as I said earlier, I really didn`t think I would like anything from Zombie at all.....but we really did enjoy his house and the scare zone......

How innocent it looks in the daylight...….

i-mtBvtJB-X2.jpg

i-3N3C8Hp-X2.jpg

I`m not sure why this chair is covered over as there is nothing scary on it......I guess it`s really just to stop kids scrambling over it during the day, thats the only thing it can be...….

i-xSnrLKh-X2.jpg

I love Lombards......and the building is so pretty and surroundings very picturesque......this was where I sat down for a bit while Tom took some pictures....well, I sat in the shade at Chez Alcatraz and a man came over from the UK. He said hello and asked if I used to be a member of a British site (Dibb) I said yes I was at one time...….he said he used to post there too but like me stopped a long time ago, due to silliness and being fed up with some posters who always had an agenda, but his wife read all my trip reports on this site and loved them (yay) and they had stayed at RP for two nights due to our recommendation, and loved it I was happy to say...........his name was Paul, and I`m awful at names I forget his wife`s name, but she was on her way in with their grandson.....he had come in for EE with his daughter and son in law.....I thanked him for his lovely comments and he again said his wife would be sorry she had missed me......I told him if she saw me later to make sure she said hello......he said he would make sure she did. Nice man.

Tom at this point guessed I was talking to someone who either knew us, or knew the trip reports....so he kept on snapping pictures. I do feel bad I didn`t remember his wife`s name as he did tell me......and that I wasn`t feeling 100%. He set off to meet his family and I waited a few minutes before joining Tom to head into Potter.

i-KXLxtwh-X2.jpg

My niece would love this!!!!! A skull and purple netting.....yep, like me she loves the colour purple...…although she does love pink too......which I`m not a big fan of.

i-984pWzJ-X2.jpg

i-2LMTrkH-X2.jpg

i-HBGjzGB-X2.jpg

This is where the live dead girl performs......it is worth watching and quite intiguing to see how she looks so glazed for so long!!!!

i-b4XjHmP-X2.jpg

We stopped in at the San Francisco Bakery for a bottle of water and we sat in the cool for around 20 minutes......it was the best thing I could have done.....I felt much better and was ready to start the rest of the day!!!

Potter up next........

I'm sorry to hear your special birthday dinner was less than special; so sad when the restaurants we love disappoint us. I hope the next time is better!

I love white chocolate and started salivating when I saw your photo of the skull! What a neat assortment of HHN treats - it all looked delicious! It must have been hard to choose!

Loving your trip report, Carol, as always!

:)

Yes, it wasn't the best meal we had from there, but I`m sure next time we go it`ll be much better....as it won`t be Magical Dining then.....

There were so many delicious things to choose from we were stuck to pick just a couple!!! We still haven't opened the white chocolate, I`m sure over Halloween we may open it when we have some folks to share it with.....Tom isn't really a fan of white and Kyle refuses to touch it as he says it`s not chocolate!!!! He is funny...….

Thank you, I`m so glad you are enjoying it......happy to hear it :wave2:

Is Minions a spinny motion simulator ride? (ala the deplorable pukey Mission Space at Epcot) :sick: If so, I cannot do that kind of ride and will be staying away!

No it`s not a spinny ride at all......it is just a ride vehicle that moves around, but stays stationary, no spinning and a large screen.

I struggle with Simpsons, well, can`t do it at all. But 3D rides with glasses I was always fine with. Now Minions is 2D and no glasses, the screen movement knocks me silly. Although this isn't as bad as Simpsons for me anyway.

If you can do simulator rides you`ll be fine as most folks are.

Have you ever taken motion sickness meds??? I take Bonine when I'm at Universal... The virtual reality rides really get to me... And Forbidden Journey is a 2 pill ride for me!!! I can ride Hulk over and over again with no problems, but VR rides get me every time... Probably why we go to Disney so much... The rides over then are mild compared to Universal... :smooth:

Have you ever taken motion sickness meds??? I take Bonine when I'm at Universal... The virtual reality rides really get to me... And Forbidden Journey is a 2 pill ride for me!!! I can ride Hulk over and over again with no problems, but VR rides get me every time... Probably why we go to Disney so much... The rides over then are mild compared to Universal... :smooth:

I have tried them, but for rides like Simpsons they just don't work. I do have proper Vertigo medication, but I don't like to take that as it is very strong, so it`s not worth it for one or two rides I don't mind missing.

lol.....don't blame you for enjoying the Disney rides.....they are much milder generally.

Weird thing is I can do Spider-Man, FJ and Gringotts with no issues.....and they all have glasses.....so I`ll go back on Minions when they bring back the glasses……..not much hope of that!!!! :sad2:

I LOVE your trip reports!

I've just started reading again because we were on your side of the pond the last couple of weeks.

Please, as a Floridian, no plastic straws!!! If you DM me your address, I will mail you a box of Avocado Seed Straws. They have the same consistency as plastic but are biodegradable.

What is it people do with the coffee pots that make them so gross? I've never heard this and we use our hotel coffee pots! Oh no!

Love your memes. They always make me laugh!

All caught up again. Love that you had a wonderful birthday, I understand why you didn't bother with sending back the second wrong order at Ocean Prime. Better to just move on and get back to enjoying your evening :flower3:

I didn't know Minions is now 2D. I don't think I'm a fan of this at all...but I'll give it a try and see. Is it the exact same show? I'm guessing it is but not understanding why they stopped the 3D, if the movie was made to be viewed that way?

We secured our rental car for our upcoming January trip, so I'm paying extra attention to all the offsite dining reviews. I know we will want to venture off property quite a bit. My husband prefers to get out into the community, even if it is touristy. ::yes::

I am looking forward to all the impromptu (well not really) shows that pop up. I think that since Disney has cut back, they have lost a lot of the spontaneity with the lack of this type of live entertainment. Personally I like to take time to enjoy myself and not sprint around the park, so these shows are a perfect little treat.

So I just have to ask...why did you decide to avoid the new Big Fire restaurant? I was thinking of trying it since it's new, but not if it's poor quality or not a pleasant experience...

Loving the TR as always, Thank You for letting us share your adventures!446853

I'm sad your birthday dinner wasn't perfect, but happy your day ended on a high note!

It was a little different, but these things happen.......and we did make up for it ::yes:: Yes, it was a still a lovely evening........

I LOVE your trip reports!

I've just started reading again because we were on your side of the pond the last couple of weeks.

Please, as a Floridian, no plastic straws!!! If you DM me your address, I will mail you a box of Avocado Seed Straws. They have the same consistency as plastic but are biodegradable.

What is it people do with the coffee pots that make them so gross? I've never heard this and we use our hotel coffee pots! Oh no!

Love your memes. They always make me laugh!

Thank you!!! Glad you made it back safely.........did you enjoy the U.K.? Hope wherever you were the weather was agreeable! That can make such a difference over here.

There was a thread on the Disney side where people used them for heating hot dogs and oatmeal...... :rotfl: I do check the iron hasn’t been used as a grill for grilled cheese sandwiches.......and I’ve never used the ice bucket again!!!

Thank you for the offer, but I’m stuck on plastic straws......:o I wish they did have a cheaper alternative to plastic, I do know there are a few places who hate the paper straws as they do go through so many of them instead of just one.

But, I’m glad you’re back posting again......always lovely to see you....:wave2:

All caught up again. Love that you had a wonderful birthday, I understand why you didn't bother with sending back the second wrong order at Ocean Prime. Better to just move on and get back to enjoying your evening :flower3:

I didn't know Minions is now 2D. I don't think I'm a fan of this at all...but I'll give it a try and see. Is it the exact same show? I'm guessing it is but not understanding why they stopped the 3D, if the movie was made to be viewed that way?

We secured our rental car for our upcoming January trip, so I'm paying extra attention to all the offsite dining reviews. I know we will want to venture off property quite a bit. My husband prefers to get out into the community, even if it is touristy. ::yes::

I am looking forward to all the impromptu (well not really) shows that pop up. I think that since Disney has cut back, they have lost a lot of the spontaneity with the lack of this type of live entertainment. Personally I like to take time to enjoy myself and not sprint around the park, so these shows are a perfect little treat.

So I just have to ask...why did you decide to avoid the new Big Fire restaurant? I was thinking of trying it since it's new, but not if it's poor quality or not a pleasant experience...

Loving the TR as always, Thank You for letting us share your adventures!View attachment 446853

Yes, it just wasn’t worth the complaints. I still had a nice steak, just not at the same time as Tom!

Minions is exactly the same ride, just no glasses.......it’s nowhere near as good......Tom who doesn’t have motion issues, didn’t like it either.

Oh I love eating offsite!! So many options......Ale House on Kirkman, Teak Neighborhood Grill, Bubbalous all within 10-15 minutes away......then there is Sand Lake Road.........we are spoiled for choice really.......and yes, we love slowly going round the parks and stopping to watch entertainment and generally smell the roses.......we enjoy the entertainment around the parks a lot.

Hmmmm. Big Fire. We did plan to go and were looking forward to it a lot, but in one day we had three people we are very close to tell us they weren’t impressed. They are all in positions where I certainly trust their judgment and opinions. One mentioned poor service, one mentioned steaks tasting heavily of wood....incredibly strong, and one mentioned poor service, poor food and tiny portions.......and I don’t think he eats massive portions of food, so for him to say it was small, it must have been. So, we gave it a pass. I have heard a few folks say they enjoyed it, but, more said they weren’t blown away or downright disliked it. But, if you do go, I do hope you like it.

And I’m so glad you are enjoying reading along.......always love to read your comments...... :wave2:

There was a thread on the Disney side where people used them for heating hot dogs and oatmeal...... :rotfl: I do check the iron hasn’t been used as a grill for grilled cheese sandwiches.......and I’ve never used the ice bucket again!!!

Uh oh ... I've never heard of this until now! I've used coffee pots before!! Now I wonder if they'd been used for hot dogs! lol - hopefully that's the worst?!!?

Now, Carol - you must tell us - why not the ice bucket? I may be sad I've asked, but now I need to know!!

NOOO! Not the ice buckets!!

We were actually in Paris this trip but love the UK.

Have you tried Roccos Tacos yet? Rocco is actually my friend and the food is amazing (seafood mocajete, tacos, margaritas!) and the view over the massive lake is amazing and surprising the cool even in the summer!

Can't wait to start reading about your Christmas trip. We will actually be in Disney the 17-19th of November and December 1-4.
Tom is such a cutie pie and y'alls smiles are so infectious!

Uh oh ... I've never heard of this until now! I've used coffee pots before!! Now I wonder if they'd been used for hot dogs! lol - hopefully that's the worst?!!?

Now, Carol - you must tell us - why not the ice bucket? I may be sad I've asked, but now I need to know!!

Someone pointed me years back to read a thread about tricks folks do to save a buck.........it was enlightening to say the least!!!

In that thread someone mentioned using the bucket when their kids (or them) were......shall we say “being ill” :sick:

Never used it once since I read that.......I know it’s clean and chances are remote it’s been used for that......but even so, it’s the thought!

Last edited:
NOOO! Not the ice buckets!!

We were actually in Paris this trip but love the UK.

Have you tried Roccos Tacos yet? Rocco is actually my friend and the food is amazing (seafood mocajete, tacos, margaritas!) and the view over the massive lake is amazing and surprising the cool even in the summer!

Can't wait to start reading about your Christmas trip. We will actually be in Disney the 17-19th of November and December 1-4.
Tom is such a cutie pie and y'alls smiles are so infectious!

How was Paris?

We used to go a lot, I think around 20 times we’ve been to Paris and even a couple of those trips we went to Disneyland Paris the first few years it opened and once about 10 years ago. But, mainland Europe is somewhere we haven’t visited for a while. We keep planning to go back to Switzerland and maybe Sweden if it’s not too cold......lol.......but Paris is a kind of special place for us.

Roccos gets amazing reviews, but I don’t eat Mexican food in general, and there are onions and garlic in everything! We did call them and ask if they could amend items, but basically it was a no. I could have guacamole and chips....which I love......but Tom‘s not the biggest Mexican food fan either.....yes, that lake view is lovely. Maybe we should pop in for a drink as I have been known to enjoy a margarita or three...... :rotfl:

How lovely you have a couple of trips coming up!! I’m sure you’ll have a blast on both trips.....

Yes, we are very excited for the next trip!!! :wave2:

Potter is one of the highlights of the Studios......although we are folks who do think there is more to the parks than Potter of course, we enjoy everything about the parks and love every area of them.....of course not everyone agrees about that and seem keen to tell us how poor the parks are and how much they don't like it there.......….

Hmm....yes, well, we love the parks and we never seem to get bored here. So many come in blinkered and compare it to Disney......well, there is no comparison of course…...for us Universal is so much better....:p

It is lovely when we read of people coming in with low expectations and then, Universal blows them away with how good it is and how much their family enjoyed the parks....all of the parks. That`s always nice to read.

But, Diagon Alley is spectacular, and one of the best themed areas in Orlando........every single detail is exacting and completely in theme with the whole area......it never fails to impress everyone who walks through the entrance, not only for the first time, but subsequent visits always impress.

i-DWZchPj-X2.jpg

We do like the Knight Bus, and it is a fabulous attraction that folks enjoy picturing and exploring.....there are a couple of good photo ops including the Conductor, shrunken head and at the back where you can see what the inside of it looks like......it is identical to the bus in the movie......

i-PfX2pbG-X2.jpg

i-4K3P6Ng-X2.jpg

The weather right now was beautiful, blue skies and lovely fluffy clouds which make images look so perfect...….and seeing the outside of the buildings look a little like London is always nice...….and you can see the difference in the houses......although we had heard a few folks had asked why "that" house was dirty looking........

i-r3JNWdZ-Th.gif

lol...…...some obviously don't know the stories very well when they visit......

i-z6CG95j-X2.jpg

i-MJpctNh-X2.jpg

Once inside we head to the Hopping Pot where we go buy a lemonade......and there is quite a long line......so I waited in line to buy the drink and Tom went around taking some pictures........his favourite hobby here!!!

i-rfKRWZF-X2.jpg

i-49PxPjm-X2.jpg

We found a space at a table, well, a couple said it was fine to join them as they had a lot of stuff sprawled around and it looked like they were saving seats for family......but they were nice and it was lovely having a chat with them......they were from New York and lived in the City.....not sure I`d ever be able to live in the city, love visiting it of course, but to do that day in day out, not sure it`s for me. But they loved it......although when they planned to have kids, they planned to move out to Long Island.....nice choice!!

So, we had our lemonade and began to wander around just enjoying the sights and headed into the Travel Agents........

i-6BS2Hvm-X2.jpg

i-gqMB6t7-X2.jpg

There is a lot of memorabilia around this little store and it gets surprisingly busy for being so tiny......the folks that work in here are keen to chat and are foten asked a lot of questions, and seem to always know the answer.

i-KfCrgzg-X2.jpg

i-DnhHBqr-X2.jpg

We decided today, we would avoid Saturdays in the parks from now on...….there were pushchairs everywhere.....and I mean everywhere.....

And (grumpy moment) so many of them don't think they have to slow down or stop for anyone...….it was a bit annoying after so long...….

I love the money exchange…..the Head Goblin is quite a character and you can chat to him and ask him any question you can think of......of course he may not answer you very politely!!! But, he will answer you....and he can be quite unnerving as he watches you peruse around the little area.

i-FXwXBcx-X2.jpg

You can buy Gringotts money in here that is wonderful to hand out as gifts...…we have given many kids that gift if they are heading to Orlando anytime in the future......they all loved them.

And they have some wonderful little gifts that are a little different......

i-f8Bv9pP-X2.jpg

i-n5k7ZNb-X2.jpg

i-d8nLBSh-X2.jpg

It looked as if it was dulling down now outside, but still incredibly hot as we stepped back out of the air conditioning......

i-BVbXHdK-X2.jpg

i-DbnGrF2-X2.jpg

The dragon of course is always a focal point, and today the fire wasn't blowing......at least it hadn't for quite a while...….

There was a young Chinese girl, who had stood for ages waiting for the fire with her camera to capture it...….she was so patient, I didn`t know if she knew it hadn't been running for the last hour or so........

i-BBXRhc4-X2.jpg

Into Gringotts we went after depositing our bag and camera in the locker...…we wanted to ride today, so left the camera. But we should really walk through just to take some pictures as it had been a while since we had done that.......

The ride was excellent......and I do like that having EP here as the line was around 50 minutes...…it takes a little longer as you have the pre show and the elevator, but it is worth it. It`s one of the better pre ride lines.....

The cars were all full and as we got to the top, there seemed to be a delay......yep, turns out someone was demanding the front.....they had waited almost an hour (according to her) and her family wanted the front.......I hoped she didn't get it the way she was behaving...….they didn't get the front. Everyone around us was glad she didn't get her own way......to be fair the kids didn't look bothered. They just looked happy to be going on the ride. There isn't a bad seat to be honest on this ride.

I always forget how much we like this ride......if you are a little nervous about doing it.....don`t be.....it`s very tame. The drop isn't really a drop, and you aren't flung around wildly, it`s more schmoosy…..and it`s a heck of good ride.......definitely one that so called ride chickens can and should do.

We only do it once today and grab our stuff from the strangely easily accessible lockers today......I did wonder where everyone was......then went to the front......oh yes, there they are. Absolutely head to the furthest back lockers you can...….no one seems to realise they`re there!!!
Back into the sunshine, well, fading sunshine now, it had got very cloudy...

i-7kbg4ms-X2.jpg

i-pB2ss7D-X2.jpg

I always thought, since they opened the travel agents, they should really open a proper Barber Store as above...…..I know it would be incredibly popular getting kids hair cut in Diagon Alley...…..of course, space is at a premium here, but it`s a nice idea.....well, I think it is!!

We went back into the store as Tom wanted to have a look for a mug he had seen previously...….but, he couldn't remember what it looked like......lol...….and he couldn't see it anyway.

It`s an incredibly decorative store if you look up...…..

i-ZSfF5KP-X2.jpg

i-FqDHhBQ-X2.jpg

i-S2dgf4S-X2.jpg

One of my favourite things about Universal is the detail they put into everything...…..and I loved this steaming kettle.....I had recently had to describe where it was to someone I know, who`s been four times and has never seen it...…..are you sure it`s still there was her reply.........

:confused3

i-QmnzcFN-X2.jpg

It really was dulling down now, and hoped it wouldn't rain till we left the park if it had to rain at all of course. So far we had been so lucky with the weather and hoped it would continue.....

i-dS2kpJB-X2.jpg

The Fountain of Fair Fortune is a great place to get a Butterbeer or some other drinks they serve...….there is no seating in there, it is just a counter to make your purchase, but there is quite a lot of seating in the Universal parks and the Potter areas are the same...….benches are around and very welcome at times.

i-V6wrNT7-X2.jpg

I did like the Tudor look of this large door...…..and with the now dull sky, you can see the smoke coming out of the fake chimneys around the area....

i-nLRJsbC-X2.jpg

i-prBrXgX-X2.jpg

One more of the dragon before a very quick wander into KA then we decided we would have lunch in Lombards…….

i-SWrbvbN-X2.jpg

Sadly this would be our second not so good dining experience in 2 days.

Last edited:
What great photos, Carole (and Tom!) It all looks so wonderful. I can't wait to see it in a few short months.

That was a great tip about using the lockers nearer the back of the room. I will definitely keep that in mind when we ride the Gringotts ride! I'm also really looking forward to buying some Gringotts money! I had no idea that was an option. Another fun trip to come from your trip report!

Have you ever considered writing a book, Carole? You have such a knack for interesting tidbits and tips that don't seem to appear anywhere else. There are so many of that type of book for Disney vacations but far fewer for Universal. Truly - consider it! :)

Sadly this would be our second not so good dining experience in 2 days

How disappointing to have TWO in TWO days. And unusual, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!