WHO YA GONNA CALL" 29 NIGHTS OF GHOSTBUSTERS, MONSTERS & MORE - A 2019 HHN/SFR/RPR TR

Yay!! Home safe, you've been reunited with your lovely Kyle.....all we need now are the details of the trip and all will be right with the world!:blush:

So glad you're home safe and sound and that you're getting back into routine and not too jet-lagged.

How was Kyle's time while you were away? I imagine there were hugs all around when you got back!

Yay!! Home safe, you've been reunited with your lovely Kyle.....all we need now are the details of the trip and all will be right with the world!:blush:

Awww thanks so much.......

Yep, seeing Kyle is always the best part of coming home :hug:

Details coming up as soon as I can.........:)

So glad you're home safe and sound and that you're getting back into routine and not too jet-lagged.

How was Kyle's time while you were away? I imagine there were hugs all around when you got back!

Thanks April......yes, we don’t seem to have any jet lag this time, maybe a little, but not as bad as it can be at times. I think we managed to sleep a fair bit on the plane.......

Kyle did enjoy his time with us away......but, he’s always glad to see us home.......oh yeah.......hugs went on for a while! We did miss him..... :wave2:

So, we are back...…..:wave2:

We arrived home last Thursday morning after almost a month, and it was one heck of a trip in one way or another....….we had some changes and alterations along the way and some fabulous times too.

We had lots of texts and calls from friends and family to see if we were still going......they seemed more worried than we were if truth be told...….but......we took it in our stride.....

But, where to begin for this trip.........:scratchin

OK......

So, really, this trip should be renamed to reflect the amount of nights.....we had originally planned 29 nights in Orlando, but Mother Nature had other ideas.....so we went down to 27 nights.......not the biggest disaster in the grand scale of things but just took a little bit of altering of the plans we had for travel........not a huge deal. Some folks think we are too chilled at times :blush:......but I do reiterate.....when there`s nothing you can physically do about something, my brain seems to go into resignation mode and doesn`t panic too much......usually!!!

I do have my moments at times though!!!

Like everyone else travelling to the USA in the next few days, we were watching the news of the Hurricane as it hurtled, albeit very slowly towards the USA.......

:rotfl:

So, we had a decision to make, and rather than wait for Thomas Cook to rearrange our flight which we knew they would, we took the bull by the horns and called them on the Friday before we were due to fly on the Tuesday. I`d rather rearrange to suit what we wanted than wait on them making a decision for us.

Our flight was still showing on their webpage and you could still book it, but we knew it was going to be cancelled at some point. If we waited we may not get a flight out as quickly, so being proactive was sensible.

We called on the Friday and changed our flight to fly on Thursday 5th instead of the 3rd. We managed to get Premium seats which we were happy about, and we didn`t have to pay an amendment fee which you usually do to change flights....this hurricane had certainly had an impact. We later found out some folks on our original flight didn`t fly out till much later as all flights were filling up rapidly. We`d have hated to lose any more days, even with such a long trip.

We contacted our friend at the hotel who of course said it was no problem to change our reservation...….we had 4 nights now at Sapphire instead of 6.

It was a little stressful I guess looking back now........it was more waiting to see how the hurricane would move now....if we didn`t fly on the Thursday, we had no idea when it would be......so it was a case of fingers crossed.

We then contacted Alamo who we had our car booked with and explained that due to the hurricane we wouldn`t be arriving till the 5th, we didn't want to be classed as a no show and lose the car. We got a very rapid response saying they would honour the booking and not to worry at all......it was a rather human response rather than a generic email. One less thing to think about. We did print out the email....just in case!!!

We had been caught with a hurricane before. We were in NY for Irma in 2017 and were delayed arriving in Orlando for two days and Alamo weren`t the most helpful then when we were communicating with them, however this time they were brilliant.

Although we had train tickets booked, we didn't think at first we could change it, so we called the car service we use to see if they could take us......they could, but not until much later in the day and we wouldn't get to the hotel till after 7pm. We do like to spend some of the day relaxing in the hotel so we said we would leave it this time. They would still pick us up when we came back.

So, I called the train companies to see if we could change our train tickets to the 4th instead of the 2nd. And we could do that at a charge of $25 for each journey. We still managed to get the first class compartments and the day we were supposed to leave, our seats weren`t together....now we had a little table for two together. It was all working out.

Our booking for the Radisson had to be changed, and it was no problem cancelling that, but they had no availability for the 4th now. We always stay there......it is so convenient, we do like it and it`s been our routine for so many years now.

I`m not fond of change........:rolleyes1

But, change we must.....so we had a look at what was available around the airport. No other hotel is walkable with the skywalk, but most have shuttles or you can take a cab...…..and there are a good few hotels to choose from...….we could have gone cheap as there are few Premier Inns around which are on the budget end of hotels, and if that was all we could have booked this late out we would have been happy to just have a room......but we do like a nicer hotel.

So, after a few options were dismissed, we chose the Marriott which is a few miles from the airport.......

We got a King Room with Executive Club access for less than we would have paid for the Radisson, so we were a little concerned as to how it would be. We are so used to the Radisson and were always happy there, but this would be different. We were looking forward to it though.

We were quite pleased with all the changes we had managed in one afternoon......we systematically went through everything that needed to be checked, altered or cancelled and despite not stressing about it all, I did feel we deserved a large glass of Chardonnay that night........so we did!!!

Full travel day coming up...........

Hooray! The trip report is beginning!

After waiting 3 weeks post hurricane, we finally got our roof repairs done! The company didn't even call us to tell us they were coming, I just heard strange banging noises and ran outside to find a crew of men on my roof. I'm not complaining, though!

WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 4TH

We spent most of yesterday trying not to think we should be flying.....but couldn't help it. We tried to not watch the news here and in the States as it would only cause us to worry a little.....so we passed the day keeping busy and even got packed up.

We also had our traditional pizza takeout that night which Kyle loves. So, really the day passed ok. And we sat in the evening with some time with Kyle and friends called.

But on to our travel day.

First thing we checked when we woke up was to see if MCO was opening up again today, and they were, at 5pm US time. That was fabulous news for anyone flying in or out.....and we had no advice from TC to say there was an issue of any kind, so we were good to go.......so, we went up and packed up our last minute things and hand luggage too.

Kyle was leaving at his usual time this morning, and we did have breakfast with him before he left, as we were leaving soon after him. Although I`m fine leaving him now...…. I do still get a little bubbly at the thought of not seeing him for a month.....we are incredibly close as a family so this was still a little tough. He was fine!!!!

But, after breakfast waving him off isn`t the best part of the day.....and I always dread it. Many hugs and good wishes from him later, we do wave him off as he goes down the driveway and off to work. We have Facetime of course and will use that. And I know he`ll be fine!!! He has some nice plans for when we`re away......so, one little tear wiped away and we get back to checking we have everything we need for the journey.......as long as we have our passports and credit cards, we`ll be fine.....but without passports we`re sunk!

Our cab arrives to take us to the station for the first part of the train journey. And we never take pictures of this part for some reason. But, trains were on time and our connecting train to take us the last almost 3 hours to the airport was also on time.

A friend of ours hates trains and cannot imagine how much fun it is to go on a journey like this......hence the first picture of Sheldon declaring his love of trains......we like Sheldon, like a train journey......

The journey is uneventful and we head up the country and arrive at the station with time for a coffee before getting on the next train where I do hunt the camera out from my hand luggage.

The train pulls in and we get into the first class compartment which is very nice......and we have it to ourselves again for a while........

i-fKG6rBg-X2.jpg

i-QJPpksH-X2.jpg

The seats are comfortable and Tom faces backwards on the journey......I just can`t do it......It makes me feel squeamish but doesn`t bother Tom at all. We do like this train and ready to set off now to the airport.

We left at 11am and would arrive in Manchester at 2.45 which was just nice. I don`t like the sandwiches or food they offer on the journey, so I had made up some little sausage rolls and crisps to make a little mini picnic.......the trolley came around an hour into the journey but we just had water today. We were keeping our sparkly consumption till later.

We did have a good journey and it was so quiet.....a few people came on and got off again, but only another four people were in First Class when we pulled into the airport station.

Luggage off, we went up a level, to go back down a set of escalators and get a cab...there are loads of them sitting outside, and the next little journey only took 5 minutes. But, we did feel the driver tried to overcharge us for such a short journey. So, for the first time, we didn`t tip. He didn`t say anything so I`m guessing he knew we knew......not the nicest feeling.

Our first thoughts on the hotel was how much smaller it looked than the Radisson.......but it was deceiving......it was huge at the rear and was actually a bit maze like.......

i-QBwW2ng-X2.jpg

i-JTLzgcr-X2.jpg

i-BrBTrFm-X2.jpg

We received a warm friendly welcome and we did feel more comfortable now we were here, this place looked lovely. We liked it here already.

They only have a small elevator and she explained we`d be quicker using the stairs where our room was.....and even gave us a map to the room!!!! How far away was this room?????? Quite far was the answer.....

We did however choose to take the elevator as our cases weighed a ton.....and then walked what felt like 5 miles to our room.....we were the furthest away you could possibly be from reception.

But, the room was fresh, clean and the bed was comfy.......

i-9bTmKJr-X2.jpg

i-pxx3m7g-X2.jpg

i-xPXcdKz-X2.jpg

i-krvCn9G-X2.jpg

Have to say, green is my least favourite colour, but it was a nice room and felt quite cosy.

Products in the bathroom were very nice too. And we did like that everything was sparkling clean.

i-v2T22td-X2.jpg

i-Lc874sh-X2.jpg

Once we freshened up, we headed back down to the reception area where we saw just how sprawling the hotel actually was. It wasn't the nicest day, but I imagine on a sunny day, this would be very pretty.

i-6RfhGMw-X2.jpg

Like the Radisson we would utilise the Executive Lounge this time. It was on the ground floor behind reception, so nowhere near the rooms which seemed odd, but it was a very nice room accessed with your room key.

As standard, teas, coffee and all juices were available all day, and at 5pm they offered light snacks and alcohol. Food till 7.30pm and alcohol till 9pm. Unlike the Radisson they don't offer hard liquor, which is fine for us as we don't partake in those type of drinks when we stay Executive Lounge.

i-tsdbNWn-X2.jpg

i-r3Npf4b-X2.jpg

i-KTJXnvd-X2.jpg

i-bxC5Srr-X2.jpg

i-ZtzGW2J-X2.jpg

i-k2B6Ccj-X2.jpg

This was very nice, and we could already feel the Radisson becoming a distant memory for our travels.

We had a coffee and I did online check in for our flight tomorrow, I was a bit nervous doing this in case it came up with an alert or similar......but all was good and we got checked in...so looked like the flight was going ahead........after we did that we then wandered through to the restaurant bar where we planned to have our traditional bottle of sparkly to show our trip had commenced........

They have two onsite restaurants, an Italian through the rear of the property, which did look nice so we made a reservation for that on later. The one near the front was a Raymond Blanc restaurant......he`s very well known in the UK and it did look nice. So, we wandered in and found a table before ordering our sparkly.

i-NKhjdh2-X2.jpg

The bar area of the restaurant is very pretty and we did enjoy sitting here. Staff were marvellous and very friendly. I said to Tom I think we should stay here in November too, but Kyle does love the Radisson, so we`d think on that one.

i-TC5HQRC-X2.jpg

And the sparkly was very nice too!!!!

i-mKtpSpL-X2.jpg

i-rnZ9vrF-X2.jpg

We liked it so much we cancelled our reservation for the Italian restaurant and made one for here......we liked the menu more and saw they offered one of our favourite dishes ever......ChateauBriand…..we already knew that's what we would be ordering for dinner later.

We sat for quite a while just musing and chatting about what was ahead of us this trip. The hurricane had already gave us numerous conversations of course, and we did still check the internet for updates, and all looked good for now. It was so relaxing and so friendly.

We finished our bottle and headed through to the Executive Lounge a few steps away. We didn't plan to eat anything, but wanted to see what was on offer and to compare really to what the Radisson offered.

And it looked very nice.

They had what looked like small pots of a beef casserole sitting on a bed of mashed potatoes, and another pot of roasted vegetables in a cheese sauce......we did try a little pot of each and they were quite tasty.

i-m6wC4r6-X2.jpg

i-ZKrPfrp-X2.jpg

The usual offerings as sides were cheese and crackers and a few salad type foods. I had a spoon full of the beet couscous and coleslaw and they were both very nice. But, we didn't want to eat too much as we were having dinner later. But, if anyone wanted to not pay for dinner again, you could easily make a meal for yourself out of the offerings.

We had one glass of wine, but again, it was laid out so you could help yourself. The white was in the fridge with the cold beer which was unlocked at 5pm. The red wine sat on the counter top.

They also had some kind of cake sat out......but have no clue what it was as we didn`t try it.

i-xXSNkgt-X2.jpg

i-VjHm9Kt-X2.jpg

i-6825MbX-X2.jpg

The lounge was quiet, I think we only saw around 8 other people max while we were in.

i-6szB8d7-X2.jpg

It was almost time for our reservation so we wandered through and the restaurant was busy, but not completely full, so we asked if we could have a table overlooking the kitchen and the chefs....we do quite like that and it was brighter over there too. She was happy to take us to a table over there......

i-PjWJq2f-X2.jpg

I liked this table and would ask for it again...…...we did like this restaurant a lot.

i-K8Zh7dG-X2.jpg

Tom said he fancied another bottle of the prosecco we had earlier in the afternoon, so that was good for me too. It was very nice.

i-DpqbVJn-X2.jpg

They brought us some olives to nibble on while we chose our meal......

i-D9V46mH-X2.jpg

We did order our ChateauBriand and asked for it medium rare......and we had some time to chill out while we waited for it.....we love just sitting and watching life go on around us.....and watching the chefs work was entertaining......no Gordon Ramsey tantrums in that kitchen.

The manager brought over the dish when it was ready to carve it for us.....and we could have kicked ourselves when we realised we didn't take a before picture of the whole filet on the serving plate.....he had completely carved it before we remembered!!!! Next time...…..

I think it was more medium than medium rare......but....it was gorgeous!!!!! Incredibly tender as it should be and full of flavour…..

Tom had regular fries with his and I opted for sweet potato fries.....they were lovely.....

i-ddKpJNL-X2.jpg

I was very impressed with our waitress who we soon discovered from the manager was almost brand new....I was surprised as she was everything you`d look for in someone to do this job.....we loaded praise on her and he said he`d pass it on to higher management.

For dessert, we both chose the berry pavlova......and it was delicious too.

i-94XvbFW-X2.jpg

This had been a huge success so far. The hotel had impressed, the restaurant had impressed and now we had to decide if the beds impressed......I had a quick seat on ours earlier and it felt ok, but until you laid down on it, it`s hard to tell sometimes.

We sat a little while longer and then went back to our room which was a three day camel ride......

I checked my emails and I had one from our friend at the hotel wishing us safe travels....always good to hear from him.

We Facetimed Kyle and showed him around the room.......it was pitch black outside so couldnt see much out there, but he wished us also safe travels and said we`d chat on Saturday morning our time in Orlando.

It was around 10.30pm now and we were ready for bed.....

The bed was comfortable and the bedding was lovely.......and nice pillows......so we hoped we would sleep well, we did feel tired which helps!!!! We were so glad that the way things turned out we had ended up staying in this hotel. We were so happy with our choice in the end.

But, it was that time again to look forward to the beginning of another jaunt to our home away from home..........

Last edited:

Yay!! It's started! Ooh love the train, I do want to ride an old steam train in the Northern part of our state some day. It's a one way train ride and
a bus back, strange.

We are near a hub city (trains travel west and east and north and south) for the trains that go cross country and our farm is several miles from the train tracks but we can still hear the train whistle blow across the river and valley at times.
Actually kind of romantic.
Sounds like you found an unexpected treasure and happened into a perfect hotel! Although I love green (goes with red hair well), I don't care for that particular shade.

Excited to hear more.

Hooray! The trip report is beginning!

After waiting 3 weeks post hurricane, we finally got our roof repairs done! The company didn't even call us to tell us they were coming, I just heard strange banging noises and ran outside to find a crew of men on my roof. I'm not complaining, though!

Oh my goodness!! What a way to start the day......but, yes, I’d have been happy too!!!

I’m glad they’re all done though and roof is sorted.......roofs are always such a worry if they have anything wrong with them!

Yep, finally getting it started......... :wave2:

Yay!! It's started! Ooh love the train, I do want to ride an old steam train in the Northern part of our state some day. It's a one way train ride and
a bus back, strange.

We are near a hub city (trains travel west and east and north and south) for the trains that go cross country and our farm is several miles from the train tracks but we can still hear the train whistle blow across the river and valley at times.
Actually kind of romantic.
Sounds like you found an unexpected treasure and happened into a perfect hotel! Although I love green (goes with red hair well), I don't care for that particular shade.

Excited to hear more.

You are a woman after my own heart!

I love trains, especially the old fashioned steam trains......we have a few places in this country we can go ride them, when we used to live further up North, we saw them a lot out in the countryside......I agree they sound very romantic....I’d love to do a long journey in one......

We only have a rural local line near us, but no romantic sounds from the little train....

Although don’t laugh......where my aunt lives in Long Island you can hear the regular trains as they pass close by......I love the sound of those too.....I’m easy to please I guess......lol......

We were over the moon with the hotel.......except the green.......yes, it wasn’t the best shade of green.

I have a few duck egg blue touches in our bedroom, it does have a tint of green in the morning light, and it’s pretty.......but that green......no.

Last edited:
I suddenly wish I had Prosecco! Oh well, red blend will have to do. The Marriott looks very nice. Doubt I’ll ever need a Manchester airport hotel but I’m glad you are off to such a nice start!

then went back to our room which was a three day camel ride......

This part had me cracking up. We felt like this once at Portofino Bay but it was just as I requested, near the boat dock and walking path so I really did ask for it.

So glad you’re home safe and off to a wonderful start writing as usual!

Yay! It's started! (This makes me think I do really need to take "my" young Sheldon on a train one of these days!)

lol......your young Sheldon would love the train on a longer journey!

Plenty of time to chill out, read, relax and watch the world go by......at least that’s my image of a long journey on a train. Would need to be quite luxurious for me.........maybe the Orient Express???

I can already see Tom shaking his head at that thought!!!

So glad to see you're beginning your report! Looking forward to it!

Thanks Owlpost........I was keen to start this as we don‘t have long before we set off again.......I do want to get as much done as I can........

Hope you enjoy it.........:)

I suddenly wish I had Prosecco! Oh well, red blend will have to do. The Marriott looks very nice. Doubt I’ll ever need a Manchester airport hotel but I’m glad you are off to such a nice start!

This part had me cracking up. We felt like this once at Portofino Bay but it was just as I requested, near the boat dock and walking path so I really did ask for it.

So glad you’re home safe and off to a wonderful start writing as usual!

lol......I do love a good Prosecco!!!!

We really were so impressed with the Marriott.......and I think as we’d stayed at the Radisson so many times........I’ve lost count to be honest as we always stayed there when we used to fly to Europe too, it was a nice change.

Oh gosh yes, I can imagine.........PB can be a long walk to anywhere depending on where you are.......

And Thank you.......it is nice to be home......and I do hope you like this one too.......:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!