WHO YA GONNA CALL" 29 NIGHTS OF GHOSTBUSTERS, MONSTERS & MORE - A 2019 HHN/SFR/RPR TR

1696143359088.jpeg

STRONGWATER BAR....SAPPHIRE FALLS...

Yep, this place is almost our spiritual home now...….

We really do spend a lot of time in there especially when we stay in Sapphire Falls...…..

When Sapphire opened in 2016 we weren't really rum drinkers.....Tom would enjoy an occasional rum cocktail.....I never drank anything with rum in it...…..then StrongWater opened...….and I discovered rum and all things that go with rum...including a few surprises...….

It is a rum bar first and foremost, but they of course have a full bar and have many options for drinks...….the menu describes all their drinks to a tee.....and we believe we have tried most if not all the cocktails and haven't found one yet we didn't like...….but, some are definite favourites.

i-3xhdWGr-X2.jpg

i-7Xv4MwQ-X2.jpg

i-Q4MHkbq-X2.jpg

The bar itself is open from 4pm every day and opens till 2am.....I don't think we`ve ever seen 2am there!!! Far too late for us, but we have enjoyed many nights in here...…..the staff are amazing....all of them are fabulous, and the drinks are varied and delicious. And I do like how they keep updating and renewing the options...….while keeping a few old robust favourites of course...…

It is incredibly welcoming and staff are among the best onsite.....friendliness and amazing service are what you can expect in here from everyone.

The outdoor seating area is very beautiful and you can see some of the rides operating in the park and at night, Citywalk shines in the background...….and even overlooking the water wheel is very pretty.....

i-KBLrt3B-X2.jpg

i-z26r75G-X2.jpg

i-fjLC5mk-X2.jpg

The fire pit is a popular spot for folks to sit and chill out and enjoy it. When we were there in December it was always busy and I did see some folks with the smores packs to make them...….I did have a picture but I seem to have gone over the max amount of images per post......oops......

We have tasted most of the dishes on the menu, as always, with the exception of the vegetarian dishes......no thanks...….although we did see one that looked like it could have been nice.....but, it wasn't that tempting!!!!

Rather unusually I`ll start with desserts...…..not always something we have after a meal...….but the Tres Leche cake is beyond gorgeous!!! And this is a rather large portion...….but it is so good!!!! if we do have dessert we usually share as I can`t eat too many sweet things like that.....but it is one of those desserts you can`t help but enjoy.....

i-Q6RCMPg-X2.jpg

Another creation from Chef Carlos was the pastelitos…...a light pastry with guava and brie filling and served with an espresso ice cream.....and it is delicious!!! Perfect for sharing too......I don't normally like anything coffee flavoured…..but this is different!!!!

IMG_9732%20%282%29-X2.jpg

Drinks...….well.....what can I say......so much choice and not enough nights!!!!!

i-42pBV8N-X2.jpg

And Strong Water is perfect for meeting up with friends old and new.....

i-BqG2XtG-X2.jpg

i-b8DM3q3-X2.jpg

This is one of the newer ones we plan to enjoy in September.....it`s a blackberry and thyme daiquiri......one of Lenny`s amazing creations.…..and gorgeous!!!!

i-n8cz8W9-X2.jpg

i-3CzQrm6-X2.jpg

And the lazy river...…..topped off with Chef Carlos freshly made pina colada ice cream...…..this was one of our favourites of the new ones created this year...……

i-PzRNb6w-X2.jpg

i-Q8CVfH6-X2.jpg

i-Vt7Zq99-X2.jpg

Along with Ashley`s Fools Gold...….love it!!!!

i-QLsjkjg-X2.jpg

i-T7frzfm-X2.jpg

i-4KdxJNk-X2.jpg

i-8BWfhKV-X2.jpg

i-Fzsp4fp-X2.jpg

i-8WTnXPq-X2.jpg

i-xgq843q-X2.jpg

Far too many drinks to name.....but I`d guarantee you wouldn't be disappointed in anything you ordered here.....and the rum flights I know Tom would thoroughly recommend...….there are several rum captains who will choose some fabulous selections to try...….three drinks form your choice of flight. And there are a few to choose from......I`m sure Tom`s tried most of them!!!!

Food is amazing. It is beautiful and very different to most places onsite.....

A Caribbean tapas style is as best a description as there is......and wow.....have they chosen some whoppers!!!!

The first couple of pictures are specials they have served that we have tried...….. the first was a special bacon steak, which was nice enough, wouldn't order it again though...... but the star of the specials is the Can Can pork chop...….

i-L7rwGRk-X2.jpg

This really was a special dish!!! There were only so many prepared and it took a while to prep the dish between marinating and then cooking sous vide style......and it was well worth it...….

Chef Carlos brings the dish out to you himself and I have to say as someone who would never choose a pork dish when out for a meal......this was unbelievably good!!!!! It was incredibly tender and full of flavour. And well worth having to share between two.....it is huge!!!! We even enjoyed the sides which were a rice dish and fried plantains.....I loved the plantains!!!

i-s6xwTRc-X2.jpg

The regular menu is also fabulous.....and we have enjoyed so many dishes.....including some I just can`t find the pictures of......I know they`re in there somewhere!!!!

We had to order two of these after the first try of the Camarones........the shrimp were delicious and we decided we just couldn't share the one dish the next time we had them!!!

i-tKhhVzq-X2.jpg

Pinchos de Carne is Steak with pineapple and the dreaded cilantro sauce...….we just left that part. But the meat was beautiful and well cooked...….I`d never have thought of having steak with pineapple but it went well......the next time we had this we asked for it without the sauce, we got the hot and spicy sauce that comes with the tenders.....much nicer!! But, we both hate cilantro...….

i-T3ffKfs-X2.jpg

Classic Choripapa…….sausage, potatoes, with tomatoes and a little bit of a spicy sauce...…..this dish surprised us, we didn't expect to like it as much as we did.

i-rQrrKDx-X2.jpg

Next up is Cuban Spring Rolls......these were unusual to say the least...….they had pork, like a pulled pork.....but there was cheese in there too......Tom loved them......I wouldn't order them for me, but they were nice enough.

i-8kP4JzH-X2.jpg

Octopus...…..not a favourite of Tom`s.....in fact he wouldn't even try it......J`aime Paris (Lori) and I certainly did enjoy it!!!!

I`m used to eating octopus already sliced and diced a bit like calamari......so having it in one piece where you had to slice it was definitely different, the texture may put some off as you cut into it.....but it was so tasty...

i-f2J6XrK-X2.jpg

Curried chicken with a side of a very nice mango chutney...….this was one of the first dishes we tried when we first visited StrongWater…..it`s not hot the way we would have a curry, but it`s very fragrant and if you don't like things too hot, you`d probably enjoy it...

i-q8P4c3H-X2.jpg

My favourite ceviche...….the Caribbean one......full of coconut cream and beautifully seasoned seafood...….it has quite a strong citrus flavour which is beautiful......and the texture of the raw seafood is perfect.

i-MMjqpTs-X2.jpg

The Florida ceviche is spicy…...although when we had it the second time it wasn't as spicy as the first time......I did wonder if folks found it too spicy and they adjusted the spice level......

i-vRFsDj2-X2.jpg

Found the Mexican Ceviche...….it is very spicy!!!! And they haven't tamed that down any......it is a very pretty dish too.

i-fshvKWr-X2.jpg

So, that's just a few of the dishes we have enjoyed in StrongWater over the three years it`s been open...….

We have never been disappointed by any of them and can honestly recommend it as a great place to eat, drink and meet up for a wonderful evening...….

We are in Sapphire the first 6 days of this upcoming trip, so I know at least we`ll be there the night we arrive...….and maybe one or two visits will ensue through out our trip...….

More food options coming soon...…..

Last edited:
Carole I do love your trip reports, they're always so detailed and a joy to read.

I'll be there just after you, I fly out on October 6th, my birthdays on the 8th so will be proudly wearing my birthday pin all day, I'm actually going to pick it up the day before so I'll be wearing it literally once I'm dressed on the big day!

Also looking forward to HHN, well Ghostbusters and Classic Monsters in particular, oh and Killer Klowns too, Clowns dont freak me out at all so that one at least will be a breeze, I say........

Carole I do love your trip reports, they're always so detailed and a joy to read.

I'll be there just after you, I fly out on October 6th, my birthdays on the 8th so will be proudly wearing my birthday pin all day, I'm actually going to pick it up the day before so I'll be wearing it literally once I'm dressed on the big day!

Also looking forward to HHN, well Ghostbusters and Classic Monsters in particular, oh and Killer Klowns too, Clowns dont freak me out at all so that one at least will be a breeze, I say........

:welcome: along Spike.......glad to see you here!

Thank you!!! I’m happy to read you enjoy them......always good to hear.....

I have my birthday out there too again........haven’t quite decided where to celebrate it yet........thinking Ocean Prime as that really is our favourite restaurant......but so many places to choose from! Enjoy wearing that pin though.......and hope it’s a fabulous day for you!

Yes, HHN looks to be amazing again this year.....Killer Klowns will be so much fun too......but it’s really Ghostbusters and Classic Monsters we’re both so excited for.......should be fun!

Again, glad to see you posting here.........:wave2:

.haven’t quite decided where to celebrate it yet.

Me neither, I'm kinda leaning to having the lamb raguu at Vivos with a nice glass of red wine, however I'd be just as happy chomping on a burrito from Moes with a beer from the 3 Broomsticks, oh decisions, decisions!

Oh Carole!!!! I'm touched you added a photo of us :cutie::cutie: (next time we need to get a photo including Tom too)
We had such a fabulous time at Strongwater Bar!

Those yummy drinks and all that scrumptious food.....so incredible! It's hard to choose favorites, since everything was so fresh and delicious!

As someone who has only been to Universal once 3 years ago, I have been reading all your trip reports in preparation for my solo-ish trip in September- especially where to (and not to) eat on property.
Love your reports!

Me neither, I'm kinda leaning to having the lamb raguu at Vivos with a nice glass of red wine, however I'd be just as happy chomping on a burrito from Moes with a beer from the 3 Broomsticks, oh decisions, decisions!

And that's the gem isn't it..….plenty of choice for whatever you feel like on the day...…nice decision to have to make though......

Oh Carole!!!! I'm touched you added a photo of us :cutie::cutie: (next time we need to get a photo including Tom too)
We had such a fabulous time at Strongwater Bar!

Those yummy drinks and all that scrumptious food.....so incredible! It's hard to choose favorites, since everything was so fresh and delicious!

Yes, we need Tom in next time!!! I can`t believe we didn't ask someone to take one of the three of us…….I think we were so busy chatting.....and eating of course!!!

I like those pictures though…... :thumbsup2

As someone who has only been to Universal once 3 years ago, I have been reading all your trip reports in preparation for my solo-ish trip in September- especially where to (and not to) eat on property.
Love your reports!

:welcome: along thepicklebee…….glad to see you here.....and with a fabulous username!!!!

Some folks just have the best names on here!!!! I`ve got to ask the meaning behind it...…..::yes::

And thank you.....I`m so glad you are enjoying them all......apologies for the rambling!!! I can go on at times...….but solo-ish sounds interesting......are you staying onsite too?

Yes, there are some really lovely places to eat onsite and there are some, sadly not up to scratch......imo of course......lol....I`m sure many will disagree...…:rolleyes1

But, glad to see you post here.....I hope you enjoy it and your trip too!!!

I love pickles! And one time I made a terribly nerdy joke that I loved pickles so much my name should be Pickleous Picklebee (like the Dickens book Nicholas Nickleby) and it became a thing. 😂

And yes! I’m staying at Aventura.

lol....love it!!! And love Charles Dickens books too.....Nicholas Nickleby is a good one.....now I`ll hear it as Pickleous Picklebee……..thanks for that

I really hope you enjoy Aventura.....the views from the rooftop bar are amazing...….

I LOVE your food pics. You have given me so many great places to put on our list of places to try. We normally stick with our regulars but we are going to try some different places when we go in a 11 days. There are so many places in the parks we have missed since we usually go to City Walk to eat. We have never tried Thunder Falls Terrace or Confisco but I am definitely going to add these to our list of places to try.

I LOVE your food pics. You have given me so many great places to put on our list of places to try. We normally stick with our regulars but we are going to try some different places when we go in a 11 days. There are so many places in the parks we have missed since we usually go to City Walk to eat. We have never tried Thunder Falls Terrace or Confisco but I am definitely going to add these to our list of places to try.

Thank you!!! :flower3:

It`s so easy to miss places, especially if you`re not sure about them.....it`s been a while since we`ve gone to Thunder Falls, but it does get good reviews.....I`d go when it wasn't peak times as you can wait a while and then food gets cold....that`s my only complaint about it....otherwise, I`d still recommend it......Confisco we just love!

I think we are a little guilty of doing the same.....looking back we do go to a lot of the same places, but when you enjoy a place, it`s hard to pass it by......

Oh my....your trip is less than 2 weeks away now!!!! I`m so excited for you...….oh please come back and let us know how much you enjoyed it.....I`m sure you`ll have a blast!!! You are at RPR aren't you???? :wave2:

Oh you must mean ABC Wines and Spirits...….

It is so much nicer than Total Wine.....it`s more like a warehouse, but not as grim...….ABC is a much nicer store and like Total Wine the employees are very helpful......

We drive to the one in LBV using the back road off of Turkey Lake Road, only takes 10 minutes or so. There are various locations around though that might be more convenient.

You`ll be spoilt for choice though ::yes::

That's it! Thank you!

Always nice to see those delicious looking food pics!

Even better for a (rare) Kyle sighting :)

Thanks Keisha......I love food pics too......always fun to see!!!

And yes, always have to have Kyle make an appearance somewhere in our trip reports ::yes::

[QUOTE="schumigirl, post: 60922323, member:

Oh my....your trip is less than 2 weeks away now!!!! I`m so excited for you...….oh please come back and let us know how much you enjoyed it.....I`m sure you`ll have a blast!!! You are at RPR aren't you???? :wave2:
[/QUOTE]

Yes, RPR the 18th-22nd (may change flight to the 23rd)but we fly in the morning of the 15th. We are going to book SF the 15th-18th. This will be our first stay at SF. I was hoping something would open up at RPR for those dates but nothing so far, so SF it will be. That is okay, I am excited to finally get to stay there for a few days.

[QUOTE="schumigirl, post: 60922323, member:

Yes, RPR the 18th-22nd (may change flight to the 23rd)but we fly in the morning of the 15th. We are going to book SF the 15th-18th. This will be our first stay at SF. I was hoping something would open up at RPR for those dates but nothing so far, so SF it will be. That is okay, I am excited to finally get to stay there for a few days.
[/QUOTE]

Oh how lovely! You get to stay at two fabulous hotels.....

I`m sure you`ll enjoy Sapphire too......it`s still so fresh and just lovely.....and how nice you can change your flight to add a day!

Another report!!! So exciting! All the birthdays and your anniversary - sounds like it will be a wonderful month to celebrate all of those things. Following along for my daily dose of Carole and Tom! We are FINALLY heading to Strong Water for our anniversary when we visit this week. Looking forward to trying some of the delightful food you have showcased in your reports.

We have three celebrations while we are there this year......but as I said earlier, very low key...…no big gifts nor lavish celebrations. A lovely dinner will do nicely.

Tom`s birthday is in August and we will have a get together for that at home and gifts will be given there...…..although we do say the extra length of time we are staying in America this year is his birthday treat...still got to have gifts though!!! Although he doesn't want anything and doesn't need anything......he has asked for new utensils for his gas barbecue!!!!! Seriously. That is what he has asked for!! He just doesn't ask for anything.

He would argue the longer stay is for mine which is in September...…... :rolleyes1

Regardless, we will have a few nice meals to celebrate both birthdays and our wedding anniversary......27 years :lovestruc not a special anniversary, but always something to celebrate......

One place we love more than any other is Ocean Prime on Sand Lake Road.....and one we have booked for my actual birthday...….although it is on a HHN and it will be Friday the 13th ::yes::

1696143454166.jpeg

I`ve never had any thoughts of the 13th being anything other than a number and even lived in a house called "Number Thirteen" for a few years...….some folks were daunted??????

I digress...…...so, we have Ocean Prime reserved for dinner on the 13th......

The food here is top notch and service is always impeccable. Completely faultless and it is a lovely restaurant.

We have been here many times and it has always been a complete pleasure. So, it was an easy decision as to where I wanted to go for my birthday evening out...…..although no doubt we`ll end up in Strong Water if we don't feel like going to HHN for a few hours later.....we have considered this in the past, but when all came to all....we chose to go sit in a lounge somewhere...…..best laid plans.....well, the thought was there!!! The thing about us is, we get up so early in the morning, and very late nights don't suit us.....even with the occasional nap in there...….add in the heat and long days and late nights don't work....especially when we`ll be there for a month!!

I think pacing ourselves might be the answer!

Sand Lake Road or Restaurant Row as it`s also known is around 5-10 minute drive (traffic lights) from RPR/SF so incredibly close and very handy.

We first came here a few years ago after it was recommended to us by our friend.....if he liked it, we`d like it. And we never looked back. It became a regular place we would visit while in Orlando...….

i-DWPLJdB-X2.jpg

The restaurant itself is beautiful and has a very classic feel while keeping that warm feeling as you walk in. They have a stunning wine display and the two separate areas of bar and restaurant meld together perfectly.

We`ve had a good selection of food here......although it is primarily a steak and seafood restaurant, they do have some regular dishes like chicken and pork chop...….not sure if it`s suitable for vegetarians as I`ve never looked, but the menu is lovely...…..as is their cocktail menu...….the highlight of which is Berries and Bubbles...

It is impressive to watch them prepare and pour it using the dry ice....and tastes delicious......copied from their menu, ingredients are Belvedere Cytrus Vodka, Cassis, Marinated berries, sours, Domaine Chandon Brut and dry ice smoke.....

i-XdQFBR5-X2.jpg

i-WkfLZVx-X2.jpg

I can`t remember the name of this one Tom had, but it was a special creation for the season and included bourbon....that's about all I remember except he enjoyed it...….

i-8GXdXfZ-X2.jpg

They do have another called Black Orchid which has Belvedere Vodka again, St Germaine Elderflower Liqueur, lemon and white cranberry juice......it has a beautiful orchid frozen in an elaborate miniature ice sculpture........I think this is the clearest image I have of the drink...…not as nice as Berries and Bubbles, but still lovely.

i-LwsW63s-X2.jpg

They do have a bar area and a seperate bar menu for food. We`ve never utilised that as we do prefer to eat in the restaurant......the bar does get incredibly busy and they do have live music, but it`s never overly loud which is nice.

Food at Ocean Prime is spectacular......

Tom being Tom enjoys the same appetiser every single time apart from one time he had Lobster Bisque...….and it is the Surf and Turf Ocean Prime style...…..and it is beautiful and I`m sure this is exactly what he`ll have in September...…..beautifully cooked scallops and braised short rib over a creamy mash......it is gorgeous.

i-qPP9243-X2.jpg

They do have a few sushi dishes which we tried.....and they are beautiful, and probably the second best sushi we`ve enjoyed here......

i-4wNCL4g-X2.jpg

An old favourite appetiser of mine is shrimp cocktail.....and this one is presented with the smoking dry ice too......very nice.

i-SdCrFnW-X2.jpg

i-K2zww44-X2.jpg

Tom has always enjoyed the Lobster bisque from The Palm....but this one was slightly disappointing. He ate it, but it lacked the substance and depth from The Palm...….it was more cream than flavour and not as seasoned the way he likes, so it`s not something he would have again from this restaurant...….

i-sLwHqDw-X2.jpg

Steaks are the speciality here...….naturally.....and they have a fabulous selection to choose from.......I`m quite dull and always have the filet......it really is the cut I like and find it perfect for me.

Tom prefers a cut that he says has more flavour….and he`s correct....the strips and ribeyes can have more flavour and are always delicious, but I still stick to what I like with steaks.

And they are always cooked to perfection and full of flavour....….

i-rVmmFwT-X2.jpg

i-59fhjQd-X2.jpg

i-Ff32fQN-X2.jpg

i-b3Kpkwr-X2.jpg

One of the nicest dishes I have ever eaten was the Twin Lobster Tails from here...….they really were the nicest I have ever tried anywhere in America...…..probably the ultimate ones I`ve ever eaten was in Scotland many years ago, and they were brought in and cooked within twenty minutes in a shack of a restaurant only feet from the beach.....and quite large too, but they were the best ever! But for here, these were pretty darn good...minus the asparagus though.....I cannot eat that...….bleurgh!!!

i-cc6Mr23-X2.jpg

Desserts for us are something we have now and again....but here, the Crème Brulee is quite beautiful...

i-qFtmVnk-X2.jpg

We did try the Butter Cake once...….it was alright for us, but wouldn't order it again. The picture is so dark I won`t post it, but we may try the cheesecake this next visit as it`s supposed to be gorgeous too.....but to pass by crème brulee…….hmmmmm…..not sure we can!!

So, this is a definite for this next visit...….for us it`s perfect and it has a beautiful wine list too where we have enjoyed one of our favourite Sonoma Cutrer wines......along with some other beautiful wines. They have a really fabulous selection and I don't think anyone would struggle choosing one......problem is there are so many wines!!!

We have made the reservation for the 13th, and this is one we are really looking forward to the most...…..:wave2:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!