WHO YA GONNA CALL" 29 NIGHTS OF GHOSTBUSTERS, MONSTERS & MORE - A 2019 HHN/SFR/RPR TR

Another great update, Carole!

That bagged shrimp looks soooo good! I feel like I can smell the aroma from my computer! lol

I may try that crawfish chowder; looks scrumptious!

Another great update, Carole!

That bagged shrimp looks soooo good! I feel like I can smell the aroma from my computer! lol

I may try that crawfish chowder; looks scrumptious!

Thanks April....... :hug:

Oh I could eat that shrimp right now! It is gorgeous!! And probably my favourite hot shrimp over there........and yes, you have to try the chowder....it’s probably not the fanciest chowder around, but it’s delicious!!

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 17TH

We did sleep a little later this morning again, but not by much. We had a rough idea of what we wanted to do, but hadn't decided which coast to go to. Both coasts appeal to us, we love the Gulf side but we also love the Atlantic side too....so either way we`d have a good day.

Once we were dressed and showered we went up for breakfast where they did notice we were a little later...….we really are creatures of habit I guess. Breakfast was quick and short, we didn't really chat much this morning and then went back down to get ready for a morning at the beach. Our room had already been done, Maria our housekeeper is lovely. She always stops for a quick chat and is very friendly.

We then put on our sunscreen and decide we`ll pop to New Smyrna Beach instead of St Pete`s Beach that we had thought we`d go to.

In the lobby we run into Rob from valet who has time for a chat this morning and it`s always fun to talk to him. As we are chatting one of the girls from the front desk comes over and thanks us for the little gift we got her. We handed it in yesterday as she had gone out of her way to do something for us, so it was just a little thank you! We were glad she liked it. We chatted for a while and then went out to get the car.

Tom said he wanted to drive today...…..so I smiled and said yes, ok darling you enjoy the drive...…...inside I was really...….

:rotfl:

But, first we first stopped off for fuel and I used to wait in the car while he gassed up, but he is very chatty and it sometimes takes longer than most folks and of course it was like an oven by the time he came out......lol.....so now I always go in and wander while he fuels the car...….this young lady asks him if it`s true that all gas stations in the uk work by fuelling up first and paying after......he says yep......this way makes much more sense. She shakes her head in disbelief and the trucker behind laughs and says it wouldn't work over here......I have no idea how many folks don't pay and make off over here......I`m guessing a few will.

Back in the car we head off for NSB......the journey takes just under an hour and the road is long and straight...….after you pass Orlando of course with the roadworks still going on there......

I`m sure it`s going to be worth it when it`s done...…...hopefully.

i-DZdfcDb-X2.jpg

Once you turn off the I-4 it really is into middle of nowhere at times, or so it seems...….roads are endless and although for us, it`s a joy to drive in, I can see why some say the road is boring.

Although as always, these people are always on the roads.......

She looked to be 187!!! And braked.....braked......braked every few feet......oh, we soon passed her!!! But, she didn't like it...…..this road did seem to have a few more elderly people driving on it. We had had similar encounters before on this road too.

i-qjBKWKV-X2.jpg

The rest of the journey is restful and uneventful......and I wish I was driving today......it is a beautiful road to drive on and listening to some fabulous music (well fabulous 80`s music to us) it was almost perfect!!!

Once you arrive in NSB it immediately screams beach town......and it is beautiful.....very understated, not as brash as Cocoa Beach but still very pretty.......

Our friend had told us first time we came here to go down and park at Bethune Beach......perfect place to park and we should go across the road to the small Boardwalk area.......last time we had made the beach, but not the boardwalk.....today we were determined we would see it.

We said we get lost easily, and he laughed and said we couldn't get lost as there is only one road in and out…….sounds good!!! And it is a street that the further along you travel, you pass some of the most beautiful and individually designed beach houses we have ever seen. Each house it seems is more lovely than the last.

Parking up is easy.....and you cannot get much closer to the water if you tried!

We got out the car and I walked over to the edge to see the water, and there was a couple sitting under some a large umbrella on chairs.....the guy said to me check out your car........I thought he said give us your car!!!! Were we being mugged by the most laid back muggers we had ever seen!!! Eh, no.......

This little guy had landed on the roof...…...

i-HztWHdr-X2.jpg

That thing would scrape the roof of the car if he didn't move.....but no way in heck were we going to challenge a thing with a beak that size!!!!

A lady and a weirdly dressed priest for want of a better description approached at this point.......sounds like the beginning of a bad joke.....but the lady spoke to us first and said the creature was injured and she had been trying to feed it for a few days. She asked us if we were leaving anytime soon, we said no, we were wandering over to the boardwalk for an hour or so.....she said she was going to call (I forget who) some rescue people to see if they can come get it......but she was worried we would move the car meantime.....we said no, we would be a while.

Meanwhile, this weirdly dressed priest/minister/pastor....I have no clue what he was....he kind of looked a little Amish, but I really don`t know....he began a conversation about how much he liked Australia and how Australians were so nice and where in Australia were we from and how did we like America compared to Oz...…..

Eh, we`re not Australian was Tom`s reply.......he looked at us in disbelief as if we were lying and said to me, but you`re Australian right.....lol.....ok, you got me.....yes I`m Australian......…he weirdly seemed happy with that.....snapped a picture of the bird on top of the car and bid us a good day.........:confused3

I think we have a radar that draws certain people to us at times........

We rather happily drew our attention to the beautiful and today, wild beach in front of us.........last few times we had come here it was incredibly calm and the water was so still. When we told one of the girls in the club lounge who surfs here how still it was, she was surprised and said it`s usually excellent for waves. Well, we saw it today.

i-zf2q87p-X2.jpg

It was beautiful, but no way were we going near that water today!!! We saw one lady in a bikini walk down on to the beach and walk along the edge, she was knocked over as soon as the water hit her ankles.....she did keep walking though. I guess she`s used to it...but for me, it looked terrifying!!! These waters are strong....but very beautiful and impressive.

i-XJCS6PF-X2.jpg

The bird was still on top of the car when we headed over to cross the road to the boardwalk.....we could have taken the car over and parked there, but if they could rescue the bird we didn't want to damage that chance by moving quickly. So we crossed the very quiet road and saw the other side which we had missed the last time.

It is small, but perfectly formed and very lovely, and peaceful too. There were only a few folks around and one guy who was fishing off the Boardwalk when we got there too.

As we turned into the park, a car came in and pulled up beside me......I got the fright of my life.....I guess I still had mugging on my brain :duck:....but it was the lady from the other side of the road who was calling to get some help for the bird. She told us she had called and they were sedning someone down immediately who could rescue it and wanted to let us know, she said it should be gone by the time we got back tot he car as they said they`d be there in ten minutes. I was glad to hear it and indeed by the time we got back the bird was gone. We didn`t check the roof of the car to see if it had any damage!!!

i-G3x57Jb-X2.jpg

i-9ZtkqDV-X2.jpg

We again, despite being by the beach felt it hot. And the shady seating area was a little respite from the gorgeous but blazing sun.

i-X2Kw5j3-X2.jpg

Tom snapped a few pictures and we headed on to the boardwalk, and it was as lovely as it had been described to us......

i-kMhrnhT-X2.jpg

The guy fishing was a local who was telling us about the trailer park where he currently lived and how many times he had moved due to hurricane damage........it was quite the tale. He told us how he had fished these waters since he was a kid and knew almost every inch of them......I could believe him. He was very nice and suggested a place we should go to for lunch, we told him that`s exactly where we were going to eat....he said we`d love it!!!

i-4FztHzv-X2.jpg

It really was incredibly beautiful here and so peaceful. In the distance we did see a dolphin but it was so far the camera didn`t pick it up. Our friend had told us we`d see maybe dolphins but definitely manatees as he had always seen them here....so we were looking forward to that.

i-m8BRHhG-X2.jpg

The smell here was so fresh, we wished we could bottle it...or even have a Yankee Candle this aroma......it was just a clean fresh smell.

i-PF9L6Mf-X2.jpg

We didn`t have to wait long to see the manatees....although again, the camera doesn`t show them as clear as we saw them....but Tom tried to get a good image......I guess they are a little camera shy. But, wow, we love seeing creatures in their natural habitat, not confined in tanks or cages. They are so beautiful and majestic.

i-rQJmrwc-X2.jpg

i-3TW7hWS-X2.jpg

We really could have stood here all day. Tranquil is exactly how it would be described........we never heard one car nor motor boat anywhere....there was a couple kayaking as we stood, and that was the height of activity in the water around here.

We passed the basketball court and got ready to cross the road to go back over......it is an almost deserted road and super easy to cross as there were hardly any cars in vision at all.

i-g7CWvhr-X2.jpg

i-TX7r7G6-X2.jpg

i-kGxtCt5-X2.jpg

And the bird was indeed gone. The lady had told us she had seen it get thinner each day, and bless her for caring and trying to feed it. We did hope it recovered.

The waves weren`t lessening any, so we knew we wouldn`t get on the beach today for a walk......but we couldn`t help be impressed by the force of the water and we stood for a while and just watched.

i-tjdw8cv-X2.jpg

We were both getting hungry now, well, hungryish....so back in the car and we would drive the very short distance to where we had decided to have lunch.

And it was 102F.

i-G5j4HdM-X2.jpg

If it was 102 here, how hot was Orlando today!!!

This little car park does take a good few cars, and is ideal to park if you`re just walking along the beach. Further towards the town there are places you can get on the beach and park, we weren't doing that with a rental. Here there are no restaurants or bars that are a short walk away, but for peace and quiet it was perfect.

i-qnx5NCP-X2.jpg

Coming up......lunch and a very quiet evening.

If I had been mistaken like that I probably would have had to have some enjoyment out of it too like saying, yup here on holiday finally retired from the crocodile wrangling and my wife yup writing them stories up in New York.............haha Crocodile Dundee!!!!!!!

Last edited:

It was a very short drive to our lunch choice today from the beach park.....we actually could have walked it, but for the blazing sun above us!!!

JB`s Fish Camp had been recommended to us by a few people we know well, and today we were definitely going to eat here today.

Rustic was the perfect way to describe this place. And we were so looking forward to this meal. The land around was a little rough with no proper parking spaces for the most part but plenty of spaces.

i-RJR7xhP-X2.jpg

And a few odd but very interesting things around....including a home made Cuban Refugee raft which defied belief anyone would attempt to sail in it.

i-wSHGCnd-X2.jpg

i-WvzhzWZ-X2.jpg

The lady who welcomed us was so nice. Genuinely warm welcome and asked us if we had been before, when we said no she promised us we were in for a treat...…I believed her.

Most people were sitting outside, but the tourists that we are, we don`t like eating outside in the heat of the day, we much prefer inside where it`s cool with the aircon.

i-GC5pKSL-X2.jpg

i-ZZ8Wz86-X2.jpg

We really liked this place instantly.....loved the décor and the ambience too.....

The menu is large and everything reads better than the previous item.....this could take a while!!! We start with ginger ale and sprite though while we study the menu intently........

i-Xz7sMxP-X2.jpg

Initially we had no plans for an appetiser, but being the good sales lady she is, she convinces us to try the clam chowder that Tom showed some interest in...…...so we said we`d share a small bowl...

Have to admit, it looked very different to any clam chowder we`d had before, and visually it didn't appeal to me...……...but...….it was incredibly tasty!!! And so filling. We really didn't have that much of it, I could see that bowl filling you up for the day, but we did want to try it.

i-k2dDD2h-X2.jpg

Food wise, I knew I wanted those Hush Puppies I had heard so much about from here.....so I ordered those first then decided on a meal around them....they came with a selection of butters, one was very spicy and a couple of dips too. The spicy butter was nice, and we ended up buying the spice that they use to make it up......I`d make that at home for sure.

i-QPfjTFq-X2.jpg

i-Gzvxw22-X2.jpg

I love stuffed flounder. It`s by far one of my favourite dishes ever, but you don't see it a lot where we eat, so I had to order it when I saw it on the menu....more a dinner item I suppose, but I couldn't resist. I asked for just coleslaw as I had the Hush Puppies, but they brought the fries anyway...…..

i-hcWfHBL-X2.jpg

Tom couldn`t decide what to have.....he`s usually the first between us to choose, but today he was completely unsure of what to have......he ended up opting for a portion of steamed scallops and a half pound of shrimp.....

i-R8Dw2Xj-X2.jpg

We thought she had given us a pound of shrimp instead of half, wouldn`t have mattered if it was, but no, she said it was only half a pound...wow!!!!

i-9LsRwR9-X2.jpg

i-srWWcPw-X2.jpg

There are no words to describe how wonderful everything was...…...but...

We were both beaten by these dishes!!

The flounder was light and delicate, while the stuffing was dense and full of flavour…...I was eating even when I was full!! In fact I asked our waitress to please take the plate away, or I was going to actually burst!!

Tom`s scallops were again, perfectly cooked but very rich in the butter and we didn't eat a lot of them. The shrimp however was a dream.....I did steal one or three of them and they were beautiful. Really beautiful.

When we finally gave up and admitted we were done, we did laugh when she asked if we wanted some of their Key Lime Pie...…...oh did we want some of that pie......but we were already worried about walking back to the car we were so full!!! So we kindly declined.

Once the check was paid we visited the bathroom and then went for a wander around outside where it looked very pretty. And quiet too.....

i-wg8Nzrm-X2.jpg

i-bBSQnFX-X2.jpg

i-MMHrBp2-X2.jpg

i-wMn4fcg-X2.jpg

i-X7gvXLS-X2.jpg

This was just as pretty as the other boardwalk a little way along.....I loved how people just pulled in with their own little boats and went for lunch.....that`s a very cool way to arrive in our eyes. Beats a car anyday.

But, thinking about it, I`m not really a boat person either......

I think maybe I watched too many movies as a child!!!! One of my reasons for not going on a cruise is because I saw the Poseidon Adventure as a terrified kid!!!! Despite @keishashadow trying to reassure me we`ll be fine.......lol......I`m still not doing one!!! And yes, I`ll happily fly in a tin can with engines 40,000 feet up in the air...….yes, I know, weird.

I did think one day I might like to go on this little boat and see some beautiful dolphins in the wild, but again, I`m not keen, but I know Tom would love to do it. So, maybe one day...…(Lake Placid anyone!!!!)

i-jLT7LKk-X2.jpg

I was ill watching these kayakers......they looked so relaxed and seemed to be loving it......all I could think was what if they bump into and annoy an alligator!!! Tom always laughs and says I need to relax around these things. I do love water though, and being close to it, even paddle in the sea, although not any more of that either!!! But, it is incredibly relaxing just being around water and listening to the gently swooshing waters lap the side of the boardwalk.

i-9wDcKnX-X2.jpg

We sat for an hour or so just sitting and watching the world, or lack of world go past us.....and marvelled at such a relaxed pace of life here that so many shared.

I even got hold of the camera for a few moments.

i-NdjgSrP-X2.jpg

Sadly our tranquility was disturbed by two ladies coming out to smoke, right beside us.....so we left at that point as there was no escaping the smoke they were emitting even with moving away slightly, and we waddled to the car where we were so glad to sit back for a while as our lunch still made us feel so full!!!

JB`s Fish Camp had been amazing. From the moment we entered till we left, they were brilliant. They really know how to run a restaurant and their food was some of the nicest we have tasted......hush puppies were the best ever!!! I know when we come back next year, it`ll be hard to bypass this place for somewhere else. It was so good.

Tom asked if I wanted to drive home.....I declined as I just wanted to sit back and let this lunch go down...….so I did.

The journey home always seems quicker than getting here and soon enough we were parking the car and had no plans to go anywhere tonight. We had decided we wanted to stay in and watch a movie. Annabelle comes home was one of the movies we wanted to see, so bit of a lazy night, but one we like to do now and again.

Into the lobby, we run into our friend, who I regaled with tales of how lovely the boardwalk had been and thanked him again for mentioning we should go there......he asked how Ocean Prime had been, he really likes it there too and I told him how it had been a bit of a disappointment. But, we did plan to go to Eddie V`s on Friday night to make up for it. He said let him book it for us, so we said thank you, we will. It`s always so kind he takes the time for us and we always appreciate it so much. We chatted away and had a good old catch up which is always lovely, before he headed off and we went up to our room to freshen up.

I facetimed Kyle as soon as we went in and he was just in, so we had a lovely chat and caught up with each other`s stories. We do miss him, but he`s keeping busy and has plenty going on. Finally we say goodbye for now and arrange our next chat time.

As we weren't going out, we both enjoyed some wine in the lounge tonight....and absolutely no snacks tonight...…it was pulled pork which we do like to have a little taste of it with some sour cream and hot sauce......but we had no room whatsoever...…..not even for any cheese as Tom usually has a little taster of.

i-bgC58NC-X2.jpg

i-tp5Vz7C-X2.jpg

i-d7MWQfZ-X2.jpg

We go back down to the room and open this bottle which had been sent....how lovely!!!

As we got into the room turndown came to the door and we just said we`d take the water tonight, no need to do the bed or drapes......so we took the water and popped it in the fridge for later....although we do always have plenty of water in the fridge.

We like this wine!!!

i-8NLfFth-X2.jpg

Our view tonight was beautiful.......

i-D4FVrCj-X2.jpg

i-bBkXFJ7-X2.jpg

The movies are easy to order......and we are looking forward to this one.....I have to say it wasn't the best of the Annabelle movies, but it was nice just relaxing for an evening with a nice bottle of wine and a little later we ordered a pizza from Jake`s to share.

We asked for chicken, pepperoni, pineapple and jalapeno with a bbq sauce base......it took around 20 minutes from ordering it till it arrived, sizzling hot.

I did finally remember to take a picture after we had eaten almost half of it! And we didn't eat the whole thing tonight, but we did enjoy what we had of it.......and as we don't eat cold pizza the next day ever, the rest went in the trash!! I know many love cold pizza.....but not us.

i-3GcJqkC-X2.jpg

We`d just had the best day.....doing not very much again. And we love days like this, just wandering around and taking our time doing everything, then sitting along the sofa at night watching a movie. Hardly candidates for the high life......but we loved it.

It was around midnight before we went to bed, I can`t remember what we watched after the movie, but it passed some time and by midnight I was tired I have to admit.

We had no clue what we were going to do tomorrow, but we did know it was HHN again at night!!!!

If I had been mistaken like that I probably would have had to have some enjoyment out of it too like saying, yup here on holiday finally retired from the crocodile wrangling and my wife yup writing them stories up in New York.............haha Crocodile Dundee!!!!!!!

lol.....it was amazing how many folks this trip particularly, when hearing me speak said I sounded Australian...….

The man was a little, shall we say different. It was a case of extricating ourselves as quick as possible......

Another great installment Carole!

Your stuffed flounder looks amazing, as does all the seafood!

I've only tried hushpuppies once in Alabama. Maybe they weren't a good batch...I didn't like them at all. In Wisconsin, I don't think I've seen them on a menu. Mostly a southern thing I think.

Love that you and Tom try out all the local spots!!! Your JB's Fish Camp meals looks delicious!!! I made a note of it under "future vacation plans"... I love eating seafood, especially fresh seafood... Where I live, all my uncles raise beef cattle so steaks are on the menu alot so I never order steak when we go out to eat... But seafood gets ordered every time!!! :smooth:

Another great installment Carole!

Your stuffed flounder looks amazing, as does all the seafood!

I've only tried hushpuppies once in Alabama. Maybe they weren't a good batch...I didn't like them at all. In Wisconsin, I don't think I've seen them on a menu. Mostly a southern thing I think.

Thanks Lori......glad you’re enjoying it!

The seafood there was phenomenal.......everything around us, and yes, we did have a good look....lol.....looked amazing. Didn’t see much left on anyone’s plate.

Yes, I’m guessing they’re Southern, I’ve never seen them on any NY menu we saw, of course they may be. But seen them a lot here. Well, Florida I mean.....the few occasions I’ve had them, they have been divine! I’m hooked! ::yes::

Love that you and Tom try out all the local spots!!! Your JB's Fish Camp meals looks delicious!!! I made a note of it under "future vacation plans"... I love eating seafood, especially fresh seafood... Where I live, all my uncles raise beef cattle so steaks are on the menu alot so I never order steak when we go out to eat... But seafood gets ordered every time!!! :smooth:

Oh we do like to get out and about and try as many local places as we can.........and I’d absolutely recommend that place to anyone!

I can see why you wouldn’t order steak when you go out where you live!! How marvellous to have that in your family! I’m so jealous!

There certainly are some amazing seafood places to choose from..... :thumbsup2

What a great trip report so far!!!! I'm finally getting to comment and am all caught up!

Your pictures are absolutely amazing...and making this colder weather we are having and with winter on the horizon...I'm just soooo enjoying all the sunshine, sky and beach pictures. I think I'm gaining weight by just looking at your foodie pictures as well :rotfl: So far...I would say you have had a pretty good trip so far!!!!

I got so far behind, all caught up now!

Sorry your Birthday dinner wasn’t the best. I love your new purse, that is one of my favorite colors! Along with purple!

Sorry Minions made you feel yucky, I go in spurts with this happening to me. I really felt this way on our first night at IOA/US.

What is wrong with some restaurants? Lombards staff was rude and why on earth was the window seat such a problem when no one was even in there. I would have left like you all did

I love all your pictures and your different beach town visits. You have had a few misses with dining, however most of the places have been hits!

What a great trip report so far!!!! I'm finally getting to comment and am all caught up!

Your pictures are absolutely amazing...and making this colder weather we are having and with winter on the horizon...I'm just soooo enjoying all the sunshine, sky and beach pictures. I think I'm gaining weight by just looking at your foodie pictures as well :rotfl: So far...I would say you have had a pretty good trip so far!!!!

Thanks so much Pumpkin......

lol....I know what you mean about the pictures...I get hungry posting them!!! Seeing the sunshine and beaches with blue sky is making me homesick to get back...….it is cold here now!! Yes, we had a pretty darned good trip!!!

But, I`m so glad you`re all caught up and enjoying it too...... :wave2:

I have to ask - what exactly are hush puppies?!?

Oh April....they are little bites of heaven wrapped up in delight and served with happiness!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

If food were medication this would be a cure for all ailments!!!!

As described below...….they are delicious, if you ever see them on a menu, order them in a heartbeat. We don`t use a deep fat fryer at home, or I`d make them myself.....but I do like them as a vacation treat!

It‘s fried cornmeal & usually has minced onions in it. Sounds strange but delicious with tartar sauce or Alabama white bbq sauce ( you can google that).

:welcome: back Tgrgrl.....good to see you!!

We fell in love with them first time we tried them......yes, that place gave us a tartare sauce too, I must google the other sauce, never heard of that one.

Nice to see you though, hope things are all good......:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter