Who wants to learn all you need to know about doing a triathlon?

ZellyB

DIS Veteran
raise-your-hand1.gif

So, for awhile now, I've been thinking of maybe, possibly, considering a triathalon. Not some full-blown Ironman or anything, but maybe like a tri sprint or something like that. And maybe there are others out there contemplating it as well. (@roxymama).

I know we have some experienced folks who do tris @CheapRunnerMike @FFigawi @Keels @pixarmom and others I can't remember at the moment. I'm hoping to get some info, experiences from people that would be in the know and willing to help out a total newby who has a series of really stupid questions.

Now, I could probably google and find a lot of this info, but I'd rather learn from you guys. :D

So, here goes...

1) Like, for real, how does the race really work from start to finish? I know this sounds stupid, but I really don't understand things much like the transition areas and how you manage your gear and shoes and stuff like that. So, just the most basic of primers.

2) What did you do for your first tri? How'd it go?

3) Like what do you wear? A trisuit? Swimsuit and then bike shorts? Pros/Cons to various options? I know like cycling shoes, helmet, running shoes, a bike obviously are necessary, but what other equipment should you have?

4) What was your weak link (swim, bike, run - I assume for most of us here run is our strongest suit)? How did you improve? How often do you do each activity during training?

5) I did find a local multisport club that might be smart to join. Their website says they are very beginner friendly. Did you join a club or get a coach?

I likely have a million more questions that I don't even know I have because I'm that clueless, but here's a start. :D

I throw my two cents in but I know those folks you listed are way more experienced.

1 - Transition will open before the race. You'll rack your bike, lay out(in a small area) your gear for the bike and the run. Some people have fancy bags, some just lay it all out a towel. Personal preference I guess. Transition area will close at some point so don't be late. :) Swim will come first and usually goes off in waves. Go from swim to transtion, make your changes, head out on bike, finish bike and back to transition, change to running gear, run, finish line, beer.

2 - I've only done a couple and they were both sprints. First went ok. Swimming was the struggle, everything after that was great.

3 - Being a guy, I wore tri shorts and the a tri top. The only things I had to change were my shoes. The shorts have a smaller pad in them than bike shorts so they aren't as bulky and dries faster.
Other equipment - a belt for your bib on the run is helpful so you can just put it on and go. Sure some of the other folks have good gear recs.

4 - Swimming is the weak link for me. Much harder than I ever imagined. The big issue for me though was not getting pysched out by the open water swim. The dark water didn't bother me as much as reconciling how far the distance looked to the markers. I trained in the pool so mentally it looked really far compared to just 25 meters at a time.

5- no coach or club but a swim coach would have been a good idea.

You should really give one a go. You don't need to buy a fancy bike. People ride all kinds of bikes. Warning though bike envy is a real thing!

I would really like to get back to tris. I loved the atmosphere surrounding the events and loved the bike and run. If I could just wrap my head around swimming it would be all good.

To be a great triathlete, you need to be a great cyclist. That's typically the longest segment of the race. Even if you're not much of a swimmer, as long as you can make it up on the bike or the run you'll be OK and will beat the pure swimmers. Also, if you have the cash, you can improve your cycling leg simply by buying a better bike or better components. I hate watching the guys on the $10,000 "tri bikes" with their moon man helmets zoom by me on my aluminum frame Cannondale (not a bad bike, but can't compete with the super expensive rides).

Since cycling is my weak link, I will never be a great triathlete. My best of the three disciplines is swimming. Unfortunately my experience is that I can't get enough of a lead in the water to hold off the cyclists. I'm only a middling runner, so that doesn't help either!

I still think triathlons are fun. Especially on a sprint triathlon you want to practice your transitions and get in and out quickly.

Here's answers to your questions:

1) Croach answered better than I could!

2) I did a sprint triathlon (700m swim, 15 mile bike and a 5k run). It went really well except that a bunch of guys passed me on the bike! :)

3) I wore tri shorts. Since it was a sprint I never put a shirt on. I wore a race belt with my number for the run. I did switch from cycling shoes to running shoes. I didn't bother with socks. If you're doing a longer race, you probably want to take the time to put on sock to avoid blisters...

4) The bike! I wish I did more bike training, but I'm busy enough with swimming and running!

5) I would highly recommend finding a local US Masters swimming club. You do NOT need to be a "master" swimmer to be in "masters swimming". You probably need to be able to swim, but you don't need to be fast AT ALL. (If you can't swim at all, you need to get lessons and stay away from triathlons until you are very comfortable swimming in open water!) Most masters swimming clubs I've known are full of awesome and welcoming people and will give you the chance to get some swim training in with a group of like-minded people. Check this link: http://www.usms.org/placswim/?utm_campaign=top_nav&utm_medium=local_programs

giphy.gif

Although I once accidentally sat in on a two hour beginning triathlon course and had nowhere to be so I just stayed....
And I've read at least 8 issues of Triathlon Magazine that my husband has left in the bathroom...
And I have been in the vicinity of a transition area a handful of times...
Thinking I "know" what goes on is a lot different from the metal rails that I'm leaning against while trying to figure out which tall guy in the blue and black tri-suit on the black bike wearing the dark helmet is my husband...than actually being an active member of the race.

I pretty much know only a few things that I'm bound to forget once I'm wet and tired:
A) bring a horribly ugly towel to put your stuff on so you can find it faster
B) don't wear earbuds even on the run
C) know the course especially if it's multi loops because there was once a guy with a $10000000 bike shaking his head at the rack saying "I didn't do the second loop...why didn't I do the second loop" and that was heart breaking.
D) if you know what way to rack your bike, and then the next person does it wrong and tells you it's right, if you then fix it, you will eventually be told by someone else that you did it wrong when you know you originally did it right and that will make you mad.
E) It's ok to pee yourself...you are already wet.

That's about all I know from being a tri-wife. So I'm ALL EARS.

My goal for my first one is Naperville Sprint Triathlon on 8/5/18
375m swim (in a man made lake pool, that goes from shallow to deep and back in a large M shape)
22k bike (TWO loops)
5k run

I have to buy an actual road bike instead of a target fixed gear bike with a basket. And really go at the swim lessons in my off season this winter.

HELP ME!!!

raise-your-hand1.gif

So, for awhile now, I've been thinking of maybe, possibly, considering a triathalon. Not some full-blown Ironman or anything, but maybe like a tri sprint or something like that. And maybe there are others out there contemplating it as well. (@roxymama).

I know we have some experienced folks who do tris @CheapRunnerMike @FFigawi @Keels @pixarmom and others I can't remember at the moment. I'm hoping to get some info, experiences from people that would be in the know and willing to help out a total newby who has a series of really stupid questions.

Now, I could probably google and find a lot of this info, but I'd rather learn from you guys. :D

So, here goes...

1) Like, for real, how does the race really work from start to finish? I know this sounds stupid, but I really don't understand things much like the transition areas and how you manage your gear and shoes and stuff like that. So, just the most basic of primers.

2) What did you do for your first tri? How'd it go?

3) Like what do you wear? A trisuit? Swimsuit and then bike shorts? Pros/Cons to various options? I know like cycling shoes, helmet, running shoes, a bike obviously are necessary, but what other equipment should you have?

4) What was your weak link (swim, bike, run - I assume for most of us here run is our strongest suit)? How did you improve? How often do you do each activity during training?

5) I did find a local multisport club that might be smart to join. Their website says they are very beginner friendly. Did you join a club or get a coach?

I likely have a million more questions that I don't even know I have because I'm that clueless, but here's a start. :D

Yay! A triathlon thread! :) :) I'll give you my Reader's Digest answers right now and fill in some more details with @CheapRunnerMike over the weekend.

1. The swim is easy. All you need is your cap and goggles. Once you're done, you're off to T1, the first transition. This is where you drop your swim stuff and gear up for the bike. In shorter tris, you'll have your gear arranged on a towel next to your bike. Generally, you'll put your shoes on, put your sunglasses on, put your helmet on, and away you go. When you come back in, you'll rack your bike, take your helmet off, switch your shoes, and head out on the run. It's a bit more complicated than this, but this is a high level view of what you'll do.

2. I did a sprint tri less than a month after I bought my bike. I felt the race was a huge success because I didn't fall over. I also managed to run down a lot of people on the run, which is always fun.

3. For a beginner triathlete in a short race, you can get away with bike shorts over your swimsuit for the bike and running shorts over your swimsuit on the run. The next step up would be tri shorts and a tri top, or a tri suit. You can wear either of those options for the entire race, saving you time in transition.

4. Biking is still my weakest of the three legs. Swimming and running are both equally strong for me. I'm working hard to improve my bike strength without hindering my running. The race, at least longer ones, comes down to the run. Well, longer ones really come down to how well you eat during the day, but that's another topic altogether. :)

4a. During training, I swim three times a week, bike 3-4 times a week, and run 3-4 times a week. It's easier to get high quality workouts in multiple disciplines than it is to run 100% of the time because each sport works different muscles and tires you out in different ways.

5. I have a coach for running and for triathlon who's been coaching me for years. I couldn't have done it without her. My local tri club in Dubai was a huge help too. They spent a lot of time helping beginners learn the ropes, practice transitions, etc. If you've got a club near you who offers that kind of support, take it!

To be a great triathlete, you need to be a great cyclist. That's typically the longest segment of the race. Even if you're not much of a swimmer, as long as you can make it up on the bike or the run you'll be OK and will beat the pure swimmers. Also, if you have the cash, you can improve your cycling leg simply by buying a better bike or better components. I hate watching the guys on the $10,000 "tri bikes" with their moon man helmets zoom by me on my aluminum frame Cannondale (not a bad bike, but can't compete with the super expensive rides).

Since cycling is my weak link, I will never be a great triathlete. My best of the three disciplines is swimming. Unfortunately my experience is that I can't get enough of a lead in the water to hold off the cyclists. I'm only a middling runner, so that doesn't help either!

I don't think this is true at all. Being a strong cyclist certainly helps, but the race is won on the run. Well, and by how well you eat before you get to the run. :)

I don't think this is true at all. Being a strong cyclist certainly helps, but the race is won on the run. Well, and by how well you eat before you get to the run. :)

Just think of it in terms of how long it takes to complete each leg. In the race I participated in, the overall winner was in the water for 8:37, on the bike for 34:56 and on his feet for 17:53. If you're not good on the bike, you're going to lose more ground there than you can gain anywhere else. If you can run 4mph faster than me and I can bike 4mph faster than you, I'm going to win every single time (assuming we swim and transition at exactly the same speed).

YAY!!! Answers!!!

I throw my two cents in but I know those folks you listed are way more experienced.

1 - Transition will open before the race. You'll rack your bike, lay out(in a small area) your gear for the bike and the run. Some people have fancy bags, some just lay it all out a towel. Personal preference I guess. Transition area will close at some point so don't be late. :) Swim will come first and usually goes off in waves. Go from swim to transtion, make your changes, head out on bike, finish bike and back to transition, change to running gear, run, finish line, beer.

2 - I've only done a couple and they were both sprints. First went ok. Swimming was the struggle, everything after that was great.

3 - Being a guy, I wore tri shorts and the a tri top. The only things I had to change were my shoes. The shorts have a smaller pad in them than bike shorts so they aren't as bulky and dries faster.
Other equipment - a belt for your bib on the run is helpful so you can just put it on and go. Sure some of the other folks have good gear recs.

4 - Swimming is the weak link for me. Much harder than I ever imagined. The big issue for me though was not getting pysched out by the open water swim. The dark water didn't bother me as much as reconciling how far the distance looked to the markers. I trained in the pool so mentally it looked really far compared to just 25 meters at a time.

5- no coach or club but a swim coach would have been a good idea.

You should really give one a go. You don't need to buy a fancy bike. People ride all kinds of bikes. Warning though bike envy is a real thing!

I would really like to get back to tris. I loved the atmosphere surrounding the events and loved the bike and run. If I could just wrap my head around swimming it would be all good.

I actually do have a nice bike (I mean nothing super fancy or anything, but a decent road bike), but I have just never gotten comfortable on it.

It's amazing to me how hard it is to swim. I can swim (like puttering around in a pool and even swimming a few laps), but I don't have any kind of practiced form or anything. And, it's astounding to me how winded I get from swimming. I like to think I'm in decent cardio shape, but I get incredibly winded after just a few laps in the pool.

I will answer these questions thoroughly when I get a chance, but I'm trying to wrap up everything at the office before leaving for WDW tomorrow...just know that this thread has me excited!

Excellent! I'm all kinds of jealous you are headed to WDW though.

I still think triathlons are fun. Especially on a sprint triathlon you want to practice your transitions and get in and out quickly.

Here's answers to your questions:

1) Croach answered better than I could!

2) I did a sprint triathlon (700m swim, 15 mile bike and a 5k run). It went really well except that a bunch of guys passed me on the bike! :)

3) I wore tri shorts. Since it was a sprint I never put a shirt on. I wore a race belt with my number for the run. I did switch from cycling shoes to running shoes. I didn't bother with socks. If you're doing a longer race, you probably want to take the time to put on sock to avoid blisters...

4) The bike! I wish I did more bike training, but I'm busy enough with swimming and running!

5) I would highly recommend finding a local US Masters swimming club. You do NOT need to be a "master" swimmer to be in "masters swimming". You probably need to be able to swim, but you don't need to be fast AT ALL. (If you can't swim at all, you need to get lessons and stay away from triathlons until you are very comfortable swimming in open water!) Most masters swimming clubs I've known are full of awesome and welcoming people and will give you the chance to get some swim training in with a group of like-minded people. Check this link: http://www.usms.org/placswim/?utm_campaign=top_nav&utm_medium=local_programs

And, I fully expect and am okay with multitudes of people passing me. I mean eventually if I got stronger at it, my competitive instincts to better my time would kick in, but initially my sole goal would be to survive. The open swim thing really spooks me (even though I've swam in our local lakes plenty, I've usually got a noodle or floaty nearby. :) ) This local sprint that I'm considering actually does the swim in a pool, so at least I wouldn't have to contend with the fear of open water, but I do worry about crowding and being in people's way and getting swamped as they pass me.

It's my husband, @Chris-Mo , that I'll have to worry about with bike envy!!

giphy.gif

Although I once accidentally sat in on a two hour beginning triathlon course and had nowhere to be so I just stayed....
And I've read at least 8 issues of Triathlon Magazine that my husband has left in the bathroom...
And I have been in the vicinity of a transition area a handful of times...
Thinking I "know" what goes on is a lot different from the metal rails that I'm leaning against while trying to figure out which tall guy in the blue and black tri-suit on the black bike wearing the dark helmet is my husband...than actually being an active member of the race.

I pretty much know only a few things that I'm bound to forget once I'm wet and tired:
A) bring a horribly ugly towel to put your stuff on so you can find it faster
B) don't wear earbuds even on the run
C) know the course especially if it's multi loops because there was once a guy with a $10000000 bike shaking his head at the rack saying "I didn't do the second loop...why didn't I do the second loop" and that was heart breaking.
D) if you know what way to rack your bike, and then the next person does it wrong and tells you it's right, if you then fix it, you will eventually be told by someone else that you did it wrong when you know you originally did it right and that will make you mad.
E) It's ok to pee yourself...you are already wet.

That's about all I know from being a tri-wife. So I'm ALL EARS.

My goal for my first one is Naperville Sprint Triathlon on 8/5/18
375m swim (in a man made lake pool, that goes from shallow to deep and back in a large M shape)
22k bike (TWO loops)
5k run

I have to buy an actual road bike instead of a target fixed gear bike with a basket. And really go at the swim lessons in my off season this winter.

HELP ME!!!

I think a priorty for us would be swim lessons this winter as well. I need to start researching what's available.
My goal race is one called the Republic Tiger Triathalon in August next year.
They have two different sprints.
  • Classic Sprint - 300 Yard Swim, 12.2 Mile Bike, 3.1 Mile Run

• Super Sprint - 150 Yard Swim, 6.1 Mile Bike, 1.5 Mile Run
I obviously wouldn't have any concerns about the bike or run distances, but no idea on the swim. I think 150 yards with decent training wouldn't be difficult for me, but 300? No idea. Since it's so beginner friendly, maybe if I think I'm going to drown it's okay to stop a minute to get your breath? I would clearly be starting myself way at the end of the starting waves, but given that it's laps in a pool, I'm assuming you still end up mixed in with much better swimmers who are ahead of you? Although the FAQ on the site tells you that if you are a slower swimmer it can be as long as an hour before you might start to ensure safety, so sounds like they are pretty diligent about ensuring that the swim portion doesn't mix people of wildly differing speeds in the pool at the same time.

Our local running store is one of the sponsors and they do have a beginner tri clinic you can go to the night before the race where I think they go over the whole procedure.

Yay! A triathlon thread! :) :) I'll give you my Reader's Digest answers right now and fill in some more details with @CheapRunnerMike over the weekend.

1. The swim is easy. All you need is your cap and goggles. Once you're done, you're off to T1, the first transition. This is where you drop your swim stuff and gear up for the bike. In shorter tris, you'll have your gear arranged on a towel next to your bike. Generally, you'll put your shoes on, put your sunglasses on, put your helmet on, and away you go. When you come back in, you'll rack your bike, take your helmet off, switch your shoes, and head out on the run. It's a bit more complicated than this, but this is a high level view of what you'll do.

2. I did a sprint tri less than a month after I bought my bike. I felt the race was a huge success because I didn't fall over. I also managed to run down a lot of people on the run, which is always fun.

3. For a beginner triathlete in a short race, you can get away with bike shorts over your swimsuit for the bike and running shorts over your swimsuit on the run. The next step up would be tri shorts and a tri top, or a tri suit. You can wear either of those options for the entire race, saving you time in transition.

4. Biking is still my weakest of the three legs. Swimming and running are both equally strong for me. I'm working hard to improve my bike strength without hindering my running. The race, at least longer ones, comes down to the run. Well, longer ones really come down to how well you eat during the day, but that's another topic altogether. :)

4a. During training, I swim three times a week, bike 3-4 times a week, and run 3-4 times a week. It's easier to get high quality workouts in multiple disciplines than it is to run 100% of the time because each sport works different muscles and tires you out in different ways.

5. I have a coach for running and for triathlon who's been coaching me for years. I couldn't have done it without her. My local tri club in Dubai was a huge help too. They spent a lot of time helping beginners learn the ropes, practice transitions, etc. If you've got a club near you who offers that kind of support, take it!

OK, so even though I love the idea of buying new athletic wear, sounds like I can probably manage with what I have at least at first until I figure out if I like this or not. Stupid follow-up question (first of many, I'm sure) so, you run in the tri shorts, but they also have a pad for the bike, yes? I read it's a smaller pad than bike shorts, but doesn't that still feel really weird to run in those? I mean I feel like I'm walking with a diaper on with my bike shorts, I can't imagine running in them.

The transition doesn't sound quite as scary as I thought and since clearly my concern here is not going to be speed, I don't have to be in some huge rush at the transition right?

See, your training schedule is what spooks me. Since there are not 11 days in a week, you obviously are doubling up workouts, so doing swim and bike or bike and run or whatever in the same day. I'm overwhelmed a bit at the thought of that!

I'm a lil confused how myself and hubby will both train at the same time. Because we both work and have a kiddo. So that's gonna be a big thing to figure out. I'm used to him training in all three disciplines and me just running.

Hiiiiii! I have done two sprint triathlons both back in 2013, 22 days apart. It was this weird thing where I said to myself, "I used to swim in high school, I own a bike, and I own running shoes -- I can TOTALLY do a Triathlon." I haven't done one since, but I plan on doing a few next year! So here is my super novice advice, which probably will be much less helpful than what the guys above me had said.

1) @croach did a GREAT job explaining it. Basically you show up and get your stuff situated. You find a spot for your bike. I like to choose the middle because it's a half way point. Also, having a bike that is a fun/unique/bright color is helpful so you can find your bike easier. I remember setting out my shoes and socks on a towel next to my bike and put everything else in a bag out of my way. After your swim you will jog to the transition area and find your bike. Be sure to have your towel handy so you can dry your feet off. I also had someone standing at the swim exit with my flip flops so I didn't have to walk on the rocks to the transition. Other people just hid their flip flops on the side and grabbed them. You get your bike, WALK IT OUT of the transition area, and get riding. Then you come back to the transition area, park your bike, and run to the finish. It seems intimidating, but it's pretty easy.

2) My first tri was a sprint distance, but I apparently picked one of the hardest bike routes for my first one. I ended up joining a swim club and everyone was like "OMG THE PUMPKINMAN? For your first one?? Don't you know about the hill???" Then I drove by the hill and said "*** am I thinking????" But I kicked the hill's butt, even on my cheap Target Schwinn that was not made for a Triathlon, or even had proper gears, or anything. I dropped it to the lowest gear possible as I passed so many people who got off their bikes and walked them up the hill.

3) As a woman, I opt'ed to wear a trisuit because I wanted to wear a sports bra under it for the run portion and I felt like that would have been weird under a swim suit. I did buy a wetsuit for the swim and decided that I didn't want to fight with it during the transition, and the water wasn't ~too~ cold, so I didn't use it. I also was Triathloning on a budget and like I said, I just had a basic bike, so I didn't even need cycling shoes, which made my bike to run transition even faster. Other things you might need: someone mentioned the bib belt, goggles (duh), but anti-fog spray for the goggles!!! I didn't have that for my second one and my goggles fogged RIGHT up on my swim. It was terrible.

4) I feel like running, then biking, were my weakest links, but I didn't worry about them too much because the run was only a 5k. That's how I looked at it, anyway. But what I really focused my training on was brick workouts. I would ride my bike for whatever time I had scheduled and then immediately go out for a run when I got off my bike. It definitely helped my endurance. And like I said, I was a swimmer in high school, so I didn't feel like I absolutely needed to work hard on that. But I did anyway....

5) I joined a local swim club, whose focus was on training for a triathlon! I figured since I actually enjoyed swimming I would join a team. They also did open water swims once a week which I feel is a MUST because that is something you don't want to just wing. Especially with a bunch of people in your wave. I was dodging elbows left and right. I highly suggest going to the outside of the swim so you don't have to dodge people.

I'll be following along and asking some questions. This year was supposed to be the year of my first triathlon but it was a pretty packed year and I had to decide between trying to BQ and a tri and went with the former. My full was a disaster and while I finished I was almost an hour off my time. I just had a bad day start to finish.

My wife has done a few sprints and we decided that starting now and through the winter we would train together to do a sprint or two next year. I do want to eventually do a hald and full Ironman once I can swim MUCH better than I do now.

Hiiiiii! I have done two sprint triathlons both back in 2013, 22 days apart. It was this weird thing where I said to myself, "I used to swim in high school, I own a bike, and I own running shoes -- I can TOTALLY do a Triathlon." I haven't done one since, but I plan on doing a few next year! So here is my super novice advice, which probably will be much less helpful than what the guys above me had said.

1) @croach did a GREAT job explaining it. Basically you show up and get your stuff situated. You find a spot for your bike. I like to choose the middle because it's a half way point. Also, having a bike that is a fun/unique/bright color is helpful so you can find your bike easier. I remember setting out my shoes and socks on a towel next to my bike and put everything else in a bag out of my way. After your swim you will jog to the transition area and find your bike. Be sure to have your towel handy so you can dry your feet off. I also had someone standing at the swim exit with my flip flops so I didn't have to walk on the rocks to the transition. Other people just hid their flip flops on the side and grabbed them. You get your bike, WALK IT OUT of the transition area, and get riding. Then you come back to the transition area, park your bike, and run to the finish. It seems intimidating, but it's pretty easy.

2) My first tri was a sprint distance, but I apparently picked one of the hardest bike routes for my first one. I ended up joining a swim club and everyone was like "OMG THE PUMPKINMAN? For your first one?? Don't you know about the hill???" Then I drove by the hill and said "*** am I thinking????" But I kicked the hill's butt, even on my cheap Target Schwinn that was not made for a Triathlon, or even had proper gears, or anything. I dropped it to the lowest gear possible as I passed so many people who got off their bikes and walked them up the hill.

3) As a woman, I opt'ed to wear a trisuit because I wanted to wear a sports bra under it for the run portion and I felt like that would have been weird under a swim suit. I did buy a wetsuit for the swim and decided that I didn't want to fight with it during the transition, and the water wasn't ~too~ cold, so I didn't use it. I also was Triathloning on a budget and like I said, I just had a basic bike, so I didn't even need cycling shoes, which made my bike to run transition even faster. Other things you might need: someone mentioned the bib belt, goggles (duh), but anti-fog spray for the goggles!!! I didn't have that for my second one and my goggles fogged RIGHT up on my swim. It was terrible.

4) I feel like running, then biking, were my weakest links, but I didn't worry about them too much because the run was only a 5k. That's how I looked at it, anyway. But what I really focused my training on was brick workouts. I would ride my bike for whatever time I had scheduled and then immediately go out for a run when I got off my bike. It definitely helped my endurance. And like I said, I was a swimmer in high school, so I didn't feel like I absolutely needed to work hard on that. But I did anyway....

5) I joined a local swim club, whose focus was on training for a triathlon! I figured since I actually enjoyed swimming I would join a team. They also did open water swims once a week which I feel is a MUST because that is something you don't want to just wing. Especially with a bunch of people in your wave. I was dodging elbows left and right. I highly suggest going to the outside of the swim so you don't have to dodge people.

Super helpful tips! Thank you. I think the one I'm looking at is a relatively easy bike leg, but it did mention one challenging hill. The run portion is described as "pancake flat" , so thinking that won't be bad. It's definitely the swim portion that worries me and certainly sounds like from those of you experienced that lessons and/or a swim club are necessities! Our local fitness center has a lap pool and offers private and semi-private (2 or more) swim lessons, so that might be the way we need to go at least initially and we could do that through this winter.

Excellent point on the bra during running that would make just a swimsuit difficult. Hmm...

I'll be following along and asking some questions. This year was supposed to be the year of my first triathlon but it was a pretty packed year and I had to decide between trying to BQ and a tri and went with the former. My full was a disaster and while I finished I was almost an hour off my time. I just had a bad day start to finish.

My wife has done a few sprints and we decided that starting now and through the winter we would train together to do a sprint or two next year. I do want to eventually do a hald and full Ironman once I can swim MUCH better than I do now.

Glad you are here too. Then I'm not the only one asking questions. :D

OK, so even though I love the idea of buying new athletic wear, sounds like I can probably manage with what I have at least at first until I figure out if I like this or not. Stupid follow-up question (first of many, I'm sure) so, you run in the tri shorts, but they also have a pad for the bike, yes? I read it's a smaller pad than bike shorts, but doesn't that still feel really weird to run in those? I mean I feel like I'm walking with a diaper on with my bike shorts, I can't imagine running in them.

Tri shorts have a smaller, thinner, and differently shaped pad than most regular bike shorts. You end up not feeling the pad at all, at least for high quality shorts. Coeur makes really nice kit for women, as does DeSoto.

The transition doesn't sound quite as scary as I thought and since clearly my concern here is not going to be speed, I don't have to be in some huge rush at the transition right?

Nope. In fact, when you rush, you tend to overlook something like not grabbing your number belt or forgetting to buckle your helmet before unracking your bike. Rushing also keeps your heart rate up (it'll be high from the swim). Steady and methodical will bring it back down some and allow you to settle into your bike more quickly.[/quote]

See, your training schedule is what spooks me. Since there are not 11 days in a week, you obviously are doubling up workouts, so doing swim and bike or bike and run or whatever in the same day. I'm overwhelmed a bit at the thought of that!

There's a lot of doubling up, mostly by running after biking. You need to practice getting your legs used to the sensation of running after they've been cycling. They'll feel like jelly and often the high cadence on the bike leads you to run faster than you're accustomed to going. Neither of these is necessarily bad, but you do need to know what they feel like so you're not surprised on race day. For what you're initially planning to do, I wouldn't expect too much doubling up, though. You don't really need to swim in the morning and bike/run at night to prepare for a sprint tri.

I love this thread! I've been seriously considering getting started in tris too.

Question for those who've done the Ironman and Ironman 70.3 ~ when you go out on the run part, can you run with a running belt that you'd use on a 1/2 or full or are those not allowed.

Also, for the running section, are the tri-suits or something similar required? My dad and I are doing the Santa Rosa 70.3 next summer and I am doing the running part and wondering if I can do it in my running capris and a running shirt as he's doing the biking section.

So my input as a two-time triathloner one sprint (2009) and one 70.3 (2014).....

I am of the opinion that pretty much anyone who can swim basically, ride a bike and run/walk can do a sprint. The tri you mentioned--with 300 yd swim is actually a shorter distance than most sprint tris (which are usually around 800m/ 1/2 mile).

Not that I really cared, but I did a woman-only sprint tri as my first. And know this, people used ALL kinds of gear, especially bikes. I saw cruisers, road bikes and tri bikes. People with and without wetsuits, etc, etc.

My first race went ok. The one thing that takes me the most getting used to is open water swimming. And about the only way to improve is to do more of it. You just can't replicate that in a pool. I am a good runner, but I am a mediocre swimmer and cyclist. So I passed the age group women on my 70.3 run--that was nice.

For my 70.3, I decided to join a tri club. I am not a group trainer, but the possibility of having others to swim with in open water was my motivation. Beyond that, honestly, I am fine running and riding solo.

I did buy a 2 pc tri suit, which I used for both races. But I am flat chested and not too sensitive on the butt, so the thinner padding and bra worked fine for me. YMMV.

I don't remember what I used for a plan for my sprint, but used a plan for my 70.3 that had 3 workouts for each discipline each week, with running and swimming on the same days.

So now for my unsolicited opinion: If you want to do a tri for the experience, and dare I say fun (some people do!), then do a sprint and ignore 90% of everything we say. You can do fine., and you will have some data to decide what you might want to d next. If you decide to get "serious", then I am sure there are many forum members who will get into the finer points of training, power meters, wheel sets, tri bikes, VO2 max, swim intervals, stroke techniques, etc, etc, etc.

I love this thread! I've been seriously considering getting started in tris too.

Question for those who've done the Ironman and Ironman 70.3 ~ when you go out on the run part, can you run with a running belt that you'd use on a 1/2 or full or are those not allowed.

Also, for the running section, are the tri-suits or something similar required? My dad and I are doing the Santa Rosa 70.3 next summer and I am doing the running part and wondering if I can do it in my running capris and a running shirt as he's doing the biking section.

You can use a run belt on your race, no problems. Just lay it out in transition and you're good to go.

There are no requirements as to your race kit-you can run in whatever you want to run in.

So now for my unsolicited opinion: If you want to do a tri for the experience, and dare I say fun (some people do!), then do a sprint and ignore 90% of everything we say. You can do fine., and you will have some data to decide what you might want to d next. If you decide to get "serious", then I am sure there are many forum members who will get into the finer points of training, power meters, wheel sets, tri bikes, VO2 max, swim intervals, stroke techniques, etc, etc, etc.

Wisest paragraph written on the Internet today.

Step 1: Drink something like this:
233F3561-946C-4A6B-AD1D-03BE589E3FAA.jpeg
Step 2: Sign up for triathlon
Step 3: Freak out

+++++++++++++++++++

But seriously, I’ll have a better response tomorrow.

To complete a triathlon successfully, you don’t have to be GREAT at any of the disciplines ... but it doesn’t hurt to excel at one more than the other two.

It’s basically:

Survive the swim.
Do better on the bike.
Kill the run.
Become a triathlete.

It’s really as simple as that.

Last edited:
Great thread - I want to try these, but not until I retire and move somewhere warmer. No swim options within 30 minutes of my house for 8 months/year.

Speaking of triathlons, did anyone else watch the broadcast from Kona yesterday? Seeing Daniela Ryf win her third in a row was impressive, but I thought the best performance was Patrick Lange running down the field with a 2:39 marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter