Who posted the 'Sugar Weenies' recipe?

Bren's Mom

DIS Veteran
My dh and dss LOVE you! :lovestruc

I made these for the first time for a family party a couple weeks ago. And then again, making a few small changes to how I did them, this past Sunday for another family party. GONE, both times. And they were asking for more.

It's the new fave at our house! And it's SO easy...for that *I* thank you! :yay:

It's one of those non-specific type of recipes...LOL...

1 package of cocktail franks (mini hot dogs)
1 package of bacon
brown sugar
toothpicks

Cut the bacon into thirds.
Take a strip (one third of one piece of bacon) and wrap it around a frank. Secure with a toothpick.
(Up to here can be done ahead of time, I did it the night before and stored in plastic container.)
Place in a baking pan (I used a disposable) and bake for about 20 minutes. (Note, I didn't get a temp, I baked at 350 since that's what the oven was set at for something else.)
When the bacon has rendered most of its fat, remove the pan from the oven and pour off the drippings.
Generously top with brown sugar (I used about a cup and a half.)
Return to the oven and continue baking until the brown sugar has melted and is caramelized. (Maybe another 15-20 minutes.)

The original recipe I got didn't say how long, or to dump the bacon fat but I found the 2nd time I made it and did this that the bacon crisped better and the sugar caramelized better. Plus it wasn't as greasy when serving as it wasn't sitting in a half in of pork fat.

I just found a similar recipe in a church cookbook. They call it "heart attacks on a stick". They use toothpicks to hold the bacon on.

This reminds me of 'pig candy'. I got the recipe out of the SweetPotato Queens book, I think.

dredge the bacon in brown sugar, put it on a rack and bake it for about 60 min. Ummm .. crispy sugar coated bacon. YUMMMM

Hmm, it seems that the Uber-Secret Family Recipe that I stole from an ex-coworker has been leaked (only good thing I got from a job I worked at FOUR years was this recipe and the corningware dish it came in!) :lmao:

At our house, we've dubbed them Man Sushi. If you cook them lower (around 325-350) and slower, the sugar will caramelize and get drippy yummy!

I cannot have a family function without making these! I buy the weenies and bacon at Sam's so I always have enough.

And as hubby put so elequently one morning, nothin' says Christmas like weenies!

(Sugar Weenies is a good one, too!)

I have always done this in the oven and its the kind of carmelized brown sugar that makes them so good. But a previous poster just said it worked well with a low oven so maybe they would.

I also have a similar recipe that uses whole water chestnuts wrapped in bacon with the brown sugar. They are really good too. I think I just get it off of allrecipes.com

i usually put a rack in the baking pan when i do bacon in the oven so it's not soaking in grease. it turns out really yummy if you cook bacon in the oven. you also don't make a mess on the stove!

i had my hubby wrap the weenies today and gonna bake tomorrow! can't wait to try this out!

Making these for our SB party today - hope everyone likes them! I decided to use the Lil' Smokies instead of the little hotdogs. Have three pounds of the smokies and they used 2 1/3 packs (pounds) of bacon for the wrapping.

We prepped them last night and they are in the refrigerator waiting to be baked. I'm going to bake them on the broiler pan (but not broil them!) so that the bacon fat runs off and is easily collected.

ETA:
Ok - reporting back after the Super Bowl party - these were a huge hit! The 350-degree oven worked well, the broiler pan worked well, the Lil' Smokies worked well..yum! I baked for 15 min, then added the brown sugar and baked for another 10 min. I did move them around with a spatula twice to flip some and make sure the bacon all cooked well. Next time, I may try baking for 10 and 10 instead or try 10, then 15, but they looked and tasted great. I'll be making these again and again, I'm sure!

i had my hubby make these last week (don't even ask what he said to my mom on the phone when she asked what he was doing :lmao: )

i bought 2 packs of cheese smokies and 2 packs of bacon (some bacon was used for another recipe) and everything fit on my baking pan with a rack inside. it kept them from being drenched in the grease.

i was kinda worried about them cause i found that the baking time on a recipe site was wrong and they needed about an hour on 375. they kinda smelled a little burned, but i think i got them in time. there were 3 left in the bowl out of 9 adults at the party.

they were a hit and i'm being asked to make them again. :thumbsup2

This reminds me of 'pig candy'. I got the recipe out of the SweetPotato Queens book, I think.

dredge the bacon in brown sugar, put it on a rack and bake it for about 60 min. Ummm .. crispy sugar coated bacon. YUMMMM

I do that and boy is it deadly for a diet. Betcha can't eat just one!:lmao:

My sister just asked for the recipe again, and I'm at work so I pulled it from here. Thought I'd bump it at the same time since they are PERFECT football watchin' treats! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!