Who here on the boards, has High Blood Pressure?

To kind of answer your question about why 2 pills.
There are several classes of BP pills that all work in different ways. Beta Blockers, Calcium Channel Blockers, Ace inhibitors, seems I might be forgetting one. Sometimes you need to attack the problem a couple of different ways. The diuretic helps take off water which gives the heart less fluid to deal with and helps lower presssure as well.

Sometimes you need more medication in the beginning and less as you are better adjusted.

Keep in mind though, that unless your BP is caused by a fixable problem you will be taking these the rest of your life.

While that sounds like a big pain its not as big as the heart attack, stroke, or kidney failure that can be a result of high blood pressure.

My DH has been on meds since he was about 39 I think (he's 43 now) He ran in the 190's over 90's and now is a lovely 123/74 most of the time. The doctor has been able to decrease his dose but he secretly tried to go off them without telling me and was up to 180 over 94 in no time. Don't think he'll try that again.

I know it is scary and a pain but the alternative is worse. Good Luck!

I recently started taking BP meds... I am on Atacand and it is working just the way it is supposed to... The big difference is I have less headaches then before...

My husband does. He has had it at least since he was 18 years old and has had a VERY hard time getting it under control. Now his doctor has him on 3 meds a day. At first we were not getting great results out of this combo. But then my husband quit his job and his blood pressure went down to 133/88. That was a huge drop since his was running around 210/130!

He currently takes 1/2 HCTZ, 2 Clondine and 2 Altace. He has to make sure to take his potassium - usually orange juice. The only other side effect he has noticed with these meds is the cough.

Originally posted by Towncrier
EXERCISE!!! :earseek: Don't they have a pill for that???
LOL! I like that, Towncrier! I ran into elevated BP towards the end of my pregnancy 9 years ago. After DS was delivered I started taking meds for it. I've been using Covera-HS for a few years now. It works for me.

My Mother has Blood Pressure and is on meds so I'm sure I will be heading that way.

My DH is also on meds for it.

It's nice to know I'm not alone...Almost a year ago, I started having terrible headaches out of the blue that would not go away. The school nurse (I'm a teacher) took my BP for the heck of it and what do you know? 185/99!! Kind of scary, but there is a family history. Now I'm on Avapro 150mg a day and I'm as normal as can be. The Dr. also prescribed walking 20-30 minutes a day even though weight is not an issue--yet:rolleyes: No one told me I would start falling apart at 32!
Hang in there and take the meds. It's better than all the complications that can occur....

Thank you all a bunch.;) I was feeling a "little Depressed" about having HB, but thanks to you all, I feel a little better. Thanks for sharing.......Faith.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter