Who has made the move to FL?

We live in NJ and visit Florida every summer. I grew up going to Florida every year as we had relatives in Daytona Beach. I really love Florida but TBH, I would never want to live there year round. Living up north can be annoying but I love our spring and fall and winters a lot (just as long as they are not too long, lol). I don't think I could adjust to Florida weather year round. I think snowbirds have the best of both worlds, if you can afford it.

Agree with the snowbird thing. I'd love to winter in FL and summer here in CO. I absolutely believe CO has the best summers on the planet. They are just so perfect. Our state is full of people from FL and mostly, TX, who come here for the whole summer. If money were no object, I'd be all in for that!

I think the destination locations like Florida, California, etc. get more discussion and more vocal "no way not moving there" is because they are destination places. Not many say, I just really want to move to my dream destination of Illinois, or Nebraska, or North Dakota, I just love long winters and being in the midwest, miles of fields, and being hours to drive anywhere. Maybe it's generations of families that keep people in the areas, jobs, etc. I could venture to say similar things are the reason people live in say New Jersey, PA, or what have you because they've simply just already been there or took a job there. But it seems Florida, California, Texas, Arizona, Georgia, these are more pinpoint I want a change places? I don't know, just throwing that out there. I have my long list of no way, not going to happen places.

I've had a chance to live in many places and I know what I like for the most part. I've lived in Alaska, California, Colorado, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, a few foreign countries and spent time in many other states. I've driven through or spent some time in just about all except Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Would love to do that one day bucket list drive and say I've been to all 50. Some people like isolating, some claim to like cold, some like mountains, some just aren't moving away from family or have long ties to an area. I just think the destination places get more vocal attention because they are talked about more a purposeful move.

To each his own. I am someone who can't stand the cold, even mild cold. Once the temp hits below 78, I need a jacket. Below 70 and I'm really uncomfortable. Below 60 and my body hurts. Once we hit freezing or negative temps, I feel unable to function. It's like my body just wants to lock up (and I'm fairly young- in my early 30's!)

While I know it gets semi cold in Fl (I've lived there before), it is nothing like where I currently live and seems like it would be such a relief! The summer heat makes me feel alive and energetic.

Our flood insurance on the island is less than what it was in Louisiana (and we did get flooded twice there) and our house was less expensive in Louisiana. Our homeowners insurance is higher here and it can be hard to find. We've had State Farm for over 40 years and they don't write home owners policies in Florida. Our State Farm (for our car) got us a home insurance company.

This is a common misconception (my FIL swore the same thing) . I just got a State Farm homeowners policy this summer for our new house. I had State Farm renters for the year before that. My policy is a few dollars cheaper than I paid in CT (nearly the same) but my house here is new and up to current hurricane standards. I also am not in a flood zone. My State Farm agent told me those are huge factors in insurance prices here. I have them for auto, also.

I do love it here, but right now I sure do miss apple picking!!! There are no apple orchards around Tampa Bay, apparently. But picking strawberries in December is awesome! We'll go visit family in CT during fall next year, and pick apples then.

I'm late to the party, but we moved to Jacksonville, FL 4 years ago and it has been the best decision we have ever made. DH got a call from a job recruiter, we came down for his interview(DS and I came for the mini vacation!) and he was offered a position on the spot. We had 3 weeks to pack up and move here(had never been before the interview.) Found an apartment 2 hours later, went home, sold almost everything, and have been here ever since! The hardest part is not having family nearby, but we have found an amazing community and made lots of friends. There is always something to do. It seems like there is a festival every week! We have so many more opportunities here than we did up north and DS is thriving here. DH and I still agree that it feels like we are on an extended vacation. I truly do look at Jax as home now.

I just read through a couple replies here and people are discussing homeschooling. We are homeschoolers, too. Duval County has the highest number of hsers in FL and there are so many resources here as well as groups and activities for them. DS is excited about a Halloween dance next week with all of his friends from the co-ops. Plus, we use one of the umbrella schools and it makes it easy peasy!

Last edited:
To each his own. I am someone who can't stand the cold, even mild cold. Once the temp hits below 78, I need a jacket. Below 70 and I'm really uncomfortable. Below 60 and my body hurts. Once we hit freezing or negative temps, I feel unable to function. It's like my body just wants to lock up (and I'm fairly young- in my early 30's!)

While I know it gets semi cold in Fl (I've lived there before), it is nothing like where I currently live and seems like it would be such a relief! The summer heat makes me feel alive and energetic.

Yes! This is me too. I'm from SE TX and maybe it's cause I was born and bred in warm temps, that is really my body's 'set point'. My body hurts in cold weather as well. Mydd18 has a chronic illness and she really hurts in the cold. I feel so bad for her. She's been so great all summer, and as soon as the cold began to set in here a couple of weeks ago, I can just see it in her that she is beginning to hurt more :( I feel we need to get moved for her, of for no other reason!

I'm late to the party, but we moved to Jacksonville, FL 4 years ago and it has been the best decision we have ever made. DH got a call from a job recruiter, we came down for his interview(DS and I came for the mini vacation!) and he was offered a position on the spot. We had 3 weeks to pack up and move here(had never been before the interview.) Found an apartment 2 hours later, went home, sold almost everything, and have been here ever since! The hardest part is not having family nearby, but we have found an amazing community and made lots of friends. There is always something to do. It seems like there is a festival every week! We have so many more opportunities here than we did up north and DS is thriving here. DH and I still agree that it feels like we are on an extended vacation. I truly do look at Jax as home now.

I just read through a couple replies here and people are discussing homeschooling. We are homeschoolers, too. Duval County has the highest number of hsers in FL and there are so many resources here as well as groups and activities for them. DS is excited about a Halloween dance next week with all of his friends from the co-ops. Plus, we use one of the umbrella schools and it makes it easy peasy!

Thank you! Love reading stories like yours. Especially from a fellow homeschooler!! I'll keep Duval county in my mind :)

This is a common misconception (my FIL swore the same thing) . I just got a State Farm homeowners policy this summer for our new house. I had State Farm renters for the year before that. My policy is a few dollars cheaper than I paid in CT (nearly the same) but my house here is new and up to current hurricane standards. I also am not in a flood zone. My State Farm agent told me those are huge factors in insurance prices here. I have them for auto, also.

I do love it here, but right now I sure do miss apple picking!!! There are no apple orchards around Tampa Bay, apparently. But picking strawberries in December is awesome! We'll go visit family in CT during fall next year, and pick apples then.
Sorry, not a misconception at all here. I contacted State Farm and they were the one who told me they weren't writing any new homeowner's policies.

I visited Jacksonville before and both my DH and I liked it as it checked a lot of blocks, and also St. Johns County.

Sorry, not a misconception at all here. I contacted State Farm and they were the one who told me they weren't writing any new homeowner's policies.

My State Farm agent told me that they have been writing homeowners policies for about 5 years now in Fl, however there was a time in the past when they didn't. I'd defenitely contact a local agent and ask, if you have them for auto-even though their homeowners wasn't the cheapest for me on its' own, with the multiple line discounts, it was and lowered my car insurance too.

Snowbirding would be our ideal situatuon too. With my career, I could be a travel nurse and make it work, but DH has a more traditional job that requires us to stay in one spot.

My State Farm agent told me that they have been writing homeowners policies for about 5 years now in Fl, however there was a time in the past when they didn't. I'd defenitely contact a local agent and ask, if you have them for auto-even though their homeowners wasn't the cheapest for me on its' own, with the multiple line discounts, it was and lowered my car insurance too.
The agent I contacted is a local agent (and currently my agent), about 10 miles from my home on the island. They got me the homeowners' insurance, but it isn't State Farm. I go through them, like I do with my flood insurance, but they do not write the policy.

Our oldest daughter in Vermont said it was already snowing there. It is October 22nd and we are enjoying rain-free sunny days with the highs in the low 80s now. My hubby has a Fiat 500 convertible and we have been driving along the ocean with the roof down. Hate the summers here but love wintering here. When we are retired in 5 years, we a hoping to be snow birds.

@wendow Part of the Dis's marathon show today is about moving to Florida and they had a realtor join them to discuss different areas. They are going to upload the shows to itunes and youtube. They've had some good info in it so far.

@wendow Part of the Dis's marathon show today is about moving to Florida and they had a realtor join them to discuss different areas. They are going to upload the shows to itunes and youtube. They've had some good info in it so far.
Ooh thanks! I’ll look for the show on YouTube!

And willing to share how you like it and have adjusted to FL?

We are considering moving from CO (we are native Texans) where we have lived since graduating from college. It's something we have been talking about for about 10 years. We're both a bit weary of the cold and longing for more of a 'warm weather state'. Our oldest graduates this year so it seems like an ok time to move and she is chronically ill and the cold here in CO is very hard on her physically. She does really well when we are in FL or back home in TX.

Moving back to TX is high on our list since all our family is there but we aren't closed to other states. I grew up vacationing in FL, and we vacation there once a year (mostly WDW). He has job alerts set up for both TX and FL and lots more comes up for FL.

Just wondering if anyone else has moved to FL, if you were not from there and knew no one, and how you like it? My dh sees a lot of jobs in jacksonville but I've never been to Jacksonville so I have trouble getting on board. I'm not 'married' to having to live in Orlando and just curious what the other cities are like...for families...I've got 4 kids, 1 will enter college, other 3 homeschooled but we stay very active in community activities.

Anyone want to share with me? I'd so appreciate it!
People I know who were there in the mitart say stay away from Jacksonville. High crime rate. I have been there once and found associates at most businesses rude and lazy.

Our oldest daughter in Vermont said it was already snowing there. It is October 22nd and we are enjoying rain-free sunny days with the highs in the low 80s now. My hubby has a Fiat 500 convertible and we have been driving along the ocean with the roof down. Hate the summers here but love wintering here. When we are retired in 5 years, we a hoping to be snow birds.
That's our plan for "semi retirement" also, 9 months in Florida and 3 months, probably July-September, somewhere close to the Jersey shore. HOPING!:wizard:::yes::

People I know who were there in the mitart say stay away from Jacksonville. High crime rate. I have been there once and found associates at most businesses rude and lazy.

South JAX and St. Johns County in particular are really nice. Sure some areas in JAX are just like bad areas in Chicago, Baltimore, Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, insert any city name here, etc.

I really think Jax is like any major city. Parts are good and parts are bad. I'm from the SO TX (Houston area). There are just parts that are best to avoid. However, I think there are some parts of FL that have less crime. I have a dear friend who has lived in the outskirts of Tallahassee all her life. She says Jax is a bad place and do not move there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter