Who else feels the price of Disney is not bad considering what you get

It is funny to me that these posters believe that the cost is too high now compared to the past. My experience is just the opposite. My parents couldnt afford to take me to a Disney Park but now I am able to take my girls to the Disney Parks.
I'm not really sure that that has to do with anything. Your family's income may better support luxuries like multiple trips to Disney than your parents had when you were young or your parents had other priories than expensive vacations.

I'm not really sure that that has to do with anything. Your family's income may better support luxuries like multiple trips to Disney than your parents had when you were young or your parents had other priories than expensive vacations.
We didn't even have indoor plumbing so yes the priority was having food on the table rather than Disney World.

Sort of confused with where this is heading, any word choice used on my part that overlaps with any poster's words on this thread was purely coincidental and no intent was meant one way or the other.
But anyways, I asked nicely the first time so this is the last warning, any more fighting or argumentative posts from anyone may result in infractions and the thread being closed.

If anyone needs a refresher on DIS Guidelines, they can be found here: https://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

Thank you.

We didn't even have indoor plumbing so yes the priority was having food on the table rather than Disney World.
Well, there you go! I would venture to say that families without indoor plumbing still cannot afford Disney World. You are blessed that you can provide wonderful vacations for your children :lovestruc.

Well, there you go! I would venture to say that families without indoor plumbing still cannot afford Disney World. You are blessed that you can provide wonderful vacations for your children :lovestruc.
Thank you for understanding. There was some small amount to pay for public school kindergarten and my parents couldnt afford it so i started school in first grade. My twins were able to go to private kindergarten. I am very happy that they are able to enjoy WDW at their age.

As i noted above i have no more a pleasant memory then the expression on one of my girl’s face when she was four and met Queen Elsa. That memory is beyond monetary value for me.

Pricing is getting out of hand. We stayed at Pop Century in 2014 around Veteran's Day and our rooms were under $100(I want to say $89 but not sure on that), same rooms at the same time this year are $171.

Well when they started charging for parking I started checking out the Friends hotels and I have to admit it I started shopping Universal after the latest price gouges. What stops me is 2 girls 10 and 18 who love going to WDW. I am one of those people who was born extremely poor and worked myself up and what makes me happy is looking at their faces when we go. So I whine and kvetch about the thousands of dollars I spend but you know what? As long as they want to go I will whien and kvetch and pay it. My parents worked very hard and I got my 1st degree in the Marines. I have worked this hard just so they don't have to and can enjoy WDW.

I agree with the OP that actual park admission isn't a bad value for what you get.

But I do think the hotels (including parking!) and food are way overpriced. We've also historically spent a lot on flights to accommodate school breaks, so the full total for a Disney vacation is quite a sticker shock.

You may believe you get unlimited rides, attractions, etc. but with waiting in extended lines you dont. On a good day you might get 10-15 attractions.

I suspect part of the reason people disagree over whether Disney parks are worth it or not are why they go to the parks. My family does not go to amusement parks, and we don't go to Disney World for the rides, either, although there are many rides we love. Most of us do rides standby for the first couple of hours, but after that we only use FastPass, unless the crowds fade out considerable, which rarely happens, or only happens the last hour or so. In the middle of the day, some of us leave or tour the resorts, while my younger three and their dad watch the performances or trade pins or play the card game or treasure hunt at the MK or whatever. When my sister came with us, we rode maybe three rides a day -- she's a musician, so we spent a lot of time tracking down all the performers we had time for, and she was profoundly impressed by how good they were. She also enjoyed things like the Pirate Tutorial and the glass blowing and the museum-y stuff.

Middle daughter will do the Move It, Shake It parade multiple times a day, while eldest son will watch the show out in front of the castle more than once as well -- no lines for either of those! I personally won't wait more than ten or fifteen minutes in a line as a rule, but I still think Disney World is worth my money because I don't go for the rides.

So while basics, like milk, have gone up in price only a little, luxuries have gone up a lot.

Luxuries are also considerably more luxurious. For that matter, the offerings at Disney World have broadened considerable. In the 1970s, Disney World had only the one park, the Magic Kingdom, and when it opened, there were only twelve rides. The Philharmonic, the Trolley Show, and numerous other things my family loves didn't come along until the year 2000 and beyond.

It is funny to me that these posters believe that the cost is too high now compared to the past. My experience is just the opposite. My parents couldnt afford to take me to a Disney Park but now I am able to take my girls to the Disney Parks.

I puzzle over that myself. People always go on about how it used to be "easy" for "a middle class family" to go to the Disney parks in the 1970s. But the only middle class people I knew who went to Disney parks in the 1970s camped out and didn't eat in the parks, and it was still an expensive vacation. My parents made enough to be considered upper middle class at the time, and we camped in a pop-up tent trailer our Disney trip. For that matter, it seems to me most people didn't vacation as much back then as many people do now. We took two vacations while I was in grade school, and one while I was in high school, and that was it. Dad's vacation time got used visiting family where ever they happened to live, not going somewhere exciting in itself. We hit the tourist spots while visiting, if there were any, but for the most part we didn't visit anywhere specifically as tourists. Some of our relatives were quite excited when we moved to Denver, because then they'd get to see a new part of the country! I didn't know anyone who'd gone to Disney until I hit high school; my kids, even when they were little, knew many, many people who had, not only gone to Disney, but had gone multiple times.

When it comes to costs now versus historical, even when we think we're comparing like to like -- the cost of housing, or the cost of visiting Disney World -- we're really not. The size of the average house has expanded considerably over the years, and modern houses offer a lot more in terms of plumbing, electricity, appliances, and other accoutrements. And, as I mentioned above, Disney World offers a lot more now than it did then, too.

I agree with the OP that actual park admission isn't a bad value for what you get.

But I do think the hotels (including parking!) and food are way overpriced. We've also historically spent a lot on flights to accommodate school breaks, so the full total for a Disney vacation is quite a sticker shock.

Agreed, but I have always thought the hotels and food way overpriced for what you get. Disney hotel prices remind me of ocean front units in the summer -- they're smaller than average, but cost way more than I'm used to. But in both cases, they charge what the market will bear, I suppose. Except you can often get really good deals on oceanfront units in September -- comparable deals at Disney are rare. We don't care about most of the perks of staying onsite, and prefer larger units than the regular DVC 2 BRs anyhow, so that's not particularly pertinent. And three of my kids would revolt if I suggested a sit-down restaurant on a park day, while hubby refuses to pay Disney prices for food just on general principle, so our big Disney food splurges in the parks are me buying everyone Mickey ice cream bars or some other snack. We do usually eat a meal or two at the resorts on non-park days, but heaven knows there are lots of interesting eating opportunities in Orlando outside of Disney, should we decide to quit paying Disney's prices.

I do give Disney some credit for allowing people to bring serious food into the parks. SeaWorld doesn't allow that, and neither does Universal. My first time in the Magic Kingdom, I talked to a mom while our daughters danced in the Move It. Shake It parade, and she said they wouldn't have been able to afford the parks if they couldn't bring food in, and I'm sure there are plenty of families in the same boat.

That's the problem though - the cost of living factor includes both essentials and luxuries. To understand how Disney's increases fit in with others, it would be necessary to compare like to like - to use just the component of the cost of living associated with luxuries.

Think about something really basic, like a gallon of milk. "Thirty years ago, in 1988, a typical price for a gallon of milk was about $2.19. Fast-forward to today, and the price is around $2.89, representing an overall increase of only 32%, far lower than inflation's 113% overall increase in prices." https://www.fool.com/slideshow/heres-what-these-25-everyday-items-cost-30-years-ago/?slide=7

So while basics, like milk, have gone up in price only a little, luxuries have gone up a lot.
That's true. But I used an average. It's still $375.00 vs. what it is today for the same vacation.

I am really tired of courteously asking for clarification and then somehow the moderator becomes involved and terms it bickering and using the precise language of the person that refuses to respond to a polite request. Please ban me from Disboards.
It's called beating a dead horse.

The park tickets aren't a bad value. Everything else is. A Disney "deluxe" hotel is not worth the price AT ALL. And the food and drinks are overpriced as well, even for an amusement park. We are only every 2-3 year visitors and I'm not sure when we will go back.

For my family we get much more bang for our buck outside of Disney. We did a week in the Caribbean at a 4 star resort, a family suite, all inclusive, plus excursions and flights for 4K. That same week at WDW at a value with DDP would be around 5-6K and I haven't added in flights, tips and extras. Let's not even get into doing a deluxe at WDW (around 9-10K) if we want to compare it with a deluxe in the Caribbean. We can do 9 days in Puerto Rico with flights and AirBnB for around 2K or less. We don't have to pay for excursions since we speak the language and can navigate the island. Just add in food and we are probably at 3K or so. Italy for 10 days with flights, hotels and train tickets would be 3K. Add in food and excursions and we are at 5-6K since I'm being generous. We have an amazing time no matter where we vacation even though Disney does hold a special place for us.

I've seen lots of people on these boards comparing a sporting event or concert to WDW. A sporting event or concert is one day. Not a one week vacation. You aren't paying for a hotel or a plane ticket. You aren't eating 3 meals a day outside of home. Also I won't give up things I enjoy doing in everyday life for 7 days of Disney fun. There are 358 other days in a year.

I have zero issues with Disney charging what they charge. They are getting people to pay the prices so more power to them. I will just vacation elsewhere since *I* feel like I get more bang for my buck elsewhere. Once a recession hits or we have an economic downturn and Disney is forced to offer great deals I will go back. (I am not wishing a recession but it's due to come). Until then I will research and keep up with what's going on since I do very much enjoy WDW.

We book value and don't upgrade to park hoppers. For 2 adults, 7 nights and 8 days, plus the cost of the flight, food and souvenirs, we can stay under $3,000. I think that's an amazing value for what we're getting. I compare what we spend on trips/events throughout the year to a day in Disney all the time and it's rare that I get as much enjoyment for the cost. I haven't hit that threshold yet where I'm upset or annoyed by the price of our Disney vacation. I'm sure if I had kids, I'd probably feel otherwise though.

My daughter, husband and 3 kids booked a cabin at a lake in N. Minnesota for $4000.00 a week!!! Granted, it could sleep 10, but there is only the small resort store, boat dock, beach. You can fish, boat ride, etc and play at the beach.
To ME, that's not a vacation. When I count the multitude of things available to do and enjoy at WDW, there's no comparison to me. But to each their own. They loved that type of vacation and that's great for them, but that amount of money could buy the 2 of us 10 days at a mod with park hoppers with some left over.
So, yes,I think WDW is a good value for the money.

My daughter, husband and 3 kids booked a cabin at a lake in N. Minnesota for $4000.00 a week!!! Granted, it could sleep 10, but there is only the small resort store, boat dock, beach. You can fish, boat ride, etc and play at the beach.
To ME, that's not a vacation. When I count the multitude of things available to do and enjoy at WDW, there's no comparison to me. But to each their own. They loved that type of vacation and that's great for them, but that amount of money could buy the 2 of us 10 days at a mod with park hoppers with some left over.
So, yes,I think WDW is a good value for the money.

That's a bit much. No way would I spend that much on just a house. I would be thinking the same thing...."this can be an entire vacation at WDW." When we do big rental houses for vacation we split it with friends. We have a few couples we vacation with regularly. We all have kids around the same ages and it works out great. We all get along and take at least 1-2 trips a year with these people. It does make the cost much lower so we get to throw in an extra vacation or two in each year for minimal cost. We do this for the Jersey Shore, OC Maryland, Poconos, etc.

It's still $375.00 vs. what it is today for the same vacation.
However, that doesn't say anything, by itself. We're about to sell our home for about $100k more than we paid for it, but that's meaningless taken out of context. How much has housing gone up in price in general? Compared with that info, that $100k begins to have some meaning.

It's called beating a dead horse.
The horse was still moving when i asked this so unless the zombie apocalypse has started with horses it wasn't dead. It was just a simple question asked courteously and never a response.

For the people above that posted about Alton Tower i see the Smiler had another problem yesterday. That ride has a gruesome history.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter