Who else feels the price of Disney is not bad considering what you get

wow. My father said when we went to CR and got a theme park view it was almost $500/ night even then! That was in the early 90's
Our last visit to WDW we stayed in Holiday Inn at Disney Springs. Two years prior to that we stayed in Grand Floridian and four years prior to that we stayed in The Polynesian. The current prices at the resorts are high compared to the value we get but other people think differently and that is fine. The resorts to the best of my knowledge are full or nearly full. We enjoyed WDW immensely staying at Disney Springs and every week my twins ask me when will go again to WDW. I am considering not returning until after GoG opens so not for a couple years but i guess it could be sooner.

Our last visit to WDW we stayed in Holiday Inn at Disney Springs. Two years prior to that we stayed in Grand Floridian and four years prior to that we stayed in The Polynesian. The current prices at the resorts are high compared to the value we get but other people think differently and that is fine. The resorts to the best of my knowledge are full or nearly full. We enjoyed WDW immensely staying at Disney Springs and every week my twins ask me when will go again to WDW. I am considering not returning until after GoG opens so not for a couple years but i guess it could be sooner.
I cant even describe the expression my one twin had on her face when she was four and met Queen Elsa but i will go to my grave remembering it. One of the most pleasing things i have seen in my life.

Please see my response above. There is really no comparison globally for Disney versus an amusement park. Almost all people go to amusement parks for the high thrill attractions and so you are in a small minority. Comparing Snoopy favorably to Disney, as an example, just isn't valid for most children. Most children around the world dont have a clue who Snoopy is but they all know the Disney movie characters.

Adrenaline is the hormone that signals the body for fight or flight and is the natural reaction to terror or extreme fear.

I know what adrenaline is :) . If you don't think that people experience adrenaline at WDW then I don't know what to tell you. I don't go on Tower of Terror anymore, I did Expedition Everest once but the backwards portion and the drops I'm out on that now, I waited for years to go on Test Track because I was nervous about it, Splash still makes me totally nervous to go on it, even the drops for Pirates and Frozen give me a momentary nervousness (and I love Pirates) and so on. There are many posts I've read on the Boards from people who don't do too many rides because they are up in thrill for them. I've been quite surprised myself honestly by some of the rides people mentioned.

You and your family have very specific emotional and physiological connections with WDW and there's nothing wrong with that, you and your family have very specific emotional and physiological connections with Cedar Point and other places nothing wrong with that. I don't know how you can imprint that onto someone else's experience though. You found your happy place for you and your family which is great. The other poster was just saying they get the same experience elsewhere for less cost. There's nothing wrong with that either :)

I know what adrenaline is :) . If you don't think that people experience adrenaline at WDW then I don't know what to tell you. I don't go on Tower of Terror anymore, I did Expedition Everest once but the backwards portion and the drops I'm out on that now, I waited for years to go on Test Track because I was nervous about it, Splash still makes me totally nervous to go on it, even the drops for Pirates and Frozen give me a momentary nervousness (and I love Pirates) and so on. There are many posts I've read on the Boards from people who don't do too many rides because they are up in thrill for them. I've been quite surprised myself honestly by some of the rides people mentioned.

You and your family have very specific emotional and physiological connections with WDW and there's nothing wrong with that, you and your family have very specific emotional and physiological connections with Cedar Point and other places nothing wrong with that. I don't know how you can imprint that onto someone else's experience though. You found your happy place for you and your family which is great. The other poster was just saying they get the same experience elsewhere for less cost. There's nothing wrong with that either :)
What-is this a joke? I was very careful to always preface my remarks by “my opinion” or “for our family”. I could care less what you or anyone else does on their vacations. I explained why we prefer WDW and provided some explanation and support for that preference.

Really surprised now that you would claim I was trying to “imprint” anything on you or anyone else. I even specifically noted that we don’t find sufficient value in onsite resorts but others do and that is fine.

You comment is really misguided. I never ever claim that someone else’s preferences are wrong but only explain why and how I arrived at mine. I did note that my preferences are very common globally.

There are many people these days that feel that if someone believes differently then they are wrong in some absolute sense. I am certainly not a member of that group and could care less what others do on their vacation or at home or on weekends or whenever. I am shocked that you would claim otherwise.

Using the cost of living increase factor ...
That's the problem though - the cost of living factor includes both essentials and luxuries. To understand how Disney's increases fit in with others, it would be necessary to compare like to like - to use just the component of the cost of living associated with luxuries.

Think about something really basic, like a gallon of milk. "Thirty years ago, in 1988, a typical price for a gallon of milk was about $2.19. Fast-forward to today, and the price is around $2.89, representing an overall increase of only 32%, far lower than inflation's 113% overall increase in prices." https://www.fool.com/slideshow/heres-what-these-25-everyday-items-cost-30-years-ago/?slide=7

So while basics, like milk, have gone up in price only a little, luxuries have gone up a lot.

The rides at WDW are tame compared to Cedar Point. Actually i do ride all the coasters and enjoy them and my wife is an aficionado of coasters. My wife and i ride all the coasters at Universal also.

The point is I dont go to WDW primarily for the coasters. If I did then Cedar Point would be a much better option. I came from a poor family and for me the TV program of the Wonderful World of Color (we didnt have a color television but an Uncle did that we visited for a weekend once or twice per year but i watched at home on B&W without fail) was a highlight of my week. Bambi, Snow White etc were also a very enjoyable part of my childhood.

We now live outside the US and Frozen, Moana etc are a positive part of my daughter’s lives. When we went to WDW when they were four years the highlights were meeting Princess Anna, Queen Elsa, and Tinker Bell plus the characters they see on Mickey Mouse clubhouse.

Disney is a deep part of American childhood for many people including myself. My girls don't have a clue who Snoopy is and I never liked Charlie Brown comics or TV shows.

I don't go to WDW for Everest or ToT but for the Disney atmosphere. We never had enough money to visit Disney during my childhood but I do have enough so that my twins can go and be charmed by the Disney atmosphere that they enjoy on TV and the movies.

I agree if I wanted to increase the Adrenaline levels of my family then we would go to Cedar Point or some other amusement park that features coasters or other high thrill rides.

We find Universal kind of boring. You can do all the rides there in one day if you buy a pass or visit at a low attendance day. My wife didnt grow up in the US and came from a very isolated location but she also strongly prefers WDW to Universal. She also finds Universal kind of sterile compared to WDW.

For many people there is no comparison between WDW and amusement parks. They are completely different.
I understand when you have younger kids, they appreciate the characters more and most can't go on the high thrilling rides. My niece's were like that at that age. They are now 8 and 9 and prefer to go to a park with big coasters and high thrilling rides.

As far as Universal goes, the day you describe being able to ride everything in one day is good. Usually that means multiple rides on the best rides.

I like Disney and had a great time when I went to the Magic Kingdom this year. I like high thrilling rides on top of atmosphere.

What-is this a joke? I was very careful to always preface my remarks by “my opinion” or “for our family”. I could care less what you or anyone else does on their vacations. I explained why we prefer WDW and provided some explanation and support for that preference.

Really surprised now that you would claim I was trying to “imprint” anything on you or anyone else. I even specifically noted that we don’t find sufficient value in onsite resorts but others do and that is fine.

You comment is really misguided. I never ever claim that someone else’s preferences are wrong but only explain why and how I arrived at mine. I did note that my preferences are very common globally.

There are many people these days that feel that if someone believes differently then they are wrong in some absolute sense. I am certainly not a member of that group and could care less what others do on their vacation or at home or on weekends or whenever. I am shocked that you would claim otherwise.
No it's not a joke.

The poster's original comment was "I disagree completely."--To which I take it that ws to the thread title of Who else feels the price of Disney is not bad considering what you get.

Followed by "I enjoyed my time at Magic Kingdom when I went in February but I have just as much fun on a Cedar Point vacation. It costs less then half the price and the resort is just as good as a Disney resort."

You responded by talking about hormonal responses and other stuff. And then talked about your kids terror on rides on Cedar Point.

When I said imprinted your experience it's because you brought up terror and things. It seemed all the poster was saying is they can get the same experience for a less price answering the theme of the thread and that was it. They never mentioned terror or hormones or whatever.

As far as my "nothing wrong with that.." comments that wasn't me saying you were telling the poster they were wrong, nor me saying you were wrong. That was me simply saying just like I said in my original comment in this thread people do Disney in different ways and that doesn't mean they can't say this or that about Disney. Someone can say they enjoy(ed) Disney and yet also say they experience the same thing elsewhere for less cost. I do believe you've misinterpreted my comments. Apologies if you were upset by them as that was not my intention :flower3: We can totally agree to disagree I don't want you to feel like this needs to be a back and forth thing. Just chalk it up to crossed messages :-)

No it's not a joke.

The poster's original comment was "I disagree completely."--To which I take it that ws to the thread title of Who else feels the price of Disney is not bad considering what you get.

Followed by "I enjoyed my time at Magic Kingdom when I went in February but I have just as much fun on a Cedar Point vacation. It costs less then half the price and the resort is just as good as a Disney resort."

You responded by talking about hormonal responses and other stuff. And then talked about your kids terror on rides on Cedar Point.

When I said imprinted your experience it's because you brought up terror and things. It seemed all the poster was saying is they can get the same experience for a less price answering the theme of the thread and that was it. They never mentioned terror or hormones or whatever.

As far as my "nothing wrong with that.." comments that wasn't me saying you were telling the poster they were wrong, nor me saying you were wrong. That was me simply saying just like I said in my original comment in this thread people do Disney in different ways and that doesn't mean they can't say this or that about Disney. Someone can say they enjoy(ed) Disney and yet also say they experience the same thing elsewhere for less cost. I do believe you've misinterpreted my comments. Apologies if you were upset by them as that was not my intention :flower3: We can totally agree to disagree I don't want you to feel like this needs to be a back and forth thing. Just chalk it up to crossed messages :-)
In my original response to Jrb in the first paragraph i included “but I prefer WDW to all amusement parks including Cedar Point”. I prefer means it is my preference and i am in no way implying that Jrb is wrong in that his prference differs from mine.

I repeat this two more times in my response making clear that it is my preference and for my family.

Again adrenaline is the brains message to the body to do fight or flight. It is a response to extreme fear or terror in the external environment. If you speak to people who went on a high thrill ride like say a slingshot immediately after they will often say it was terrifying. A successful ride that raises adrenaline levels is in fact terrifying for many or most people. Absolutely nothing wrong with that if that is what you are seeking. I make that clear several times in my posts. I in fact intend to ride the Orlando slingshot with my girls when they are older. That is a terrifying ride for the vast majority of people. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I understand when you have younger kids, they appreciate the characters more and most can't go on the high thrilling rides. My niece's were like that at that age. They are now 8 and 9 and prefer to go to a park with big coasters and high thrilling rides.

As far as Universal goes, the day you describe being able to ride everything in one day is good. Usually that means multiple rides on the best rides.

I like Disney and had a great time when I went to the Magic Kingdom this year. I like high thrilling rides on top of atmosphere.
Jrb,
I understand your preference but for many that grew up with Disney, and are visiting Disney without children, they still prefer WDW. There is nothing wrong with that either.

I'm just saying, people spend $200 to go see a live concert for two hours or a professional baseball game for a few hours yet $150 for a day of unlimited ride attractions, shows, parades, fireworks and taking pictures with characters is too much for a 12 hour day.
Does anyone else agree or I'm I the only one?

I fully agree, especially when compared to sporting events or concerts. Maybe it’s just me but I get a lot more out of a day visit to MK than I do a few hours at a baseball game. And if you have a park hopper you just opened up your options times four. Yes it’s expensive but it’s also not 1975 anymore.

I fully agree, especially when compared to sporting events or concerts. Maybe it’s just me but I get a lot more out of a day visit to MK than I do a few hours at a baseball game. And if you have a park hopper you just opened up your options times four. Yes it’s expensive but it’s also not 1975 anymore.
It is funny to me that these posters believe that the cost is too high now compared to the past. My experience is just the opposite. My parents couldnt afford to take me to a Disney Park but now I am able to take my girls to the Disney Parks.

In my original response to Jrb in the first paragraph i included “but I prefer WDW to all amusement parks including Cedar Point”. I prefer means it is my preference and i am in no way implying that Jrb is wrong in that his prference differs from mine.

I repeat this two more times in my response making clear that it is my preference and for my family.

Again adrenaline is the brains message to the body to do fight or flight. It is a response to extreme fear or terror in the external environment. If you speak to people who went on a high thrill ride like say a slingshot immediately after they will often say it was terrifying. A successful ride that raises adrenaline levels is in fact terrifying for many or most people. Absolutely nothing wrong with that if that is what you are seeking. I make that clear several times in my posts. I in fact intend to ride the Orlando slingshot with my girls when they are older. That is a terrifying ride for the vast majority of people. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I already said I think you misunderstood what I was saying and I don't much see a need for more of a definition lesson. I just don't know where this conversation is going anymore. So respectfully let's agree to disagree and move on :)

I already said I think you misunderstood what I was saying and I don't much see a need for a more of a definition lesson. I just don't know where this conversation is going anymore. So respectfully let's agree to disagree and move on :)
Sorry but what are we agreeing to disagree about? Are we disagreeing that others can have a preference different from yours?

Sorry but what are we agreeing to disagree about? Are we disagreeing that others can have a preference different from yours?
Agree to disagree and move on in the internet forum is normally a polite way of saying "let's stop going back and forth and move on from commenting with each other about the particular topic" :)

Agree to disagree and move on in the internet forum is normally a polite way of saying "let's stop going back and forth and move on from commenting with each other about the particular topic" :)
But if we agree to move on then we don't disagree about that. Agree to disagree means that there is some topic we can’t reach agreement on. I am just asking you to identify the topic in the above posts that we cant reach agreement on please. The only thing i can come up with is whether or not others can have a preference that is different from yours.

When I compare our favorite type of vacations: WDW and “cruises” WDW is still more expensive for imo a similar kind of vacation. Instead of visiting parks we visit ports. Instead of staying on a resort we stay on a ship. We dine, swim, etc. When comparing spring break 2020 vacations between a “Non DCL” Cruise inside cabin for 2 Adults and a teen and WDW Value Resort 7 Day Basic Ticket with QS meal plan for 3, WDW was $1,000 more. And time is money I agree with a previous poster time is money and the amount of time you sit on buses, security lines, attraction lines, food lines, you get a lot more “vacation” time for the money on a cruise.

Finally there is new cruise ships coming on line every year with new amenities and experiences. WDW really falls short in keeping the park exciting with new attractions. WDW needs to have a new E-Ticket attraction added every year at every park or at least 2 of the parks. WDW moves at snails pace when it comes down to that. The local Six Flags manages to accomplish that every year for half of the admission price. WDW raises ticket prices every year but then only adds exciting new attractions every 2-3 years at one park. When was the last major attraction added at Magic Kingdon? Mine train 5 years ago? Or Epcot? Soaring 10 years ago? We did decide on a WDW vacation. But I am answering the original question of the value for the price you pay.

I am really tired of courteously asking for clarification and then somehow the moderator becomes involved and terms it bickering and using the precise language of the person that refuses to respond to a polite request. Please ban me from Disboards.

I am really tired of courteously asking for clarification and then somehow the moderator becomes involved and terms it bickering and using the precise language of the person that refuses to respond to a polite request. Please ban me from Disboards.

You can just not respond at all and move on with your day, that’s always an option :)

You can just not respond at all and move on with your day, that’s always an option :)
I believe that there are some posters that use the moderators in a dishonest manner on this board and so I prefer to be banned. You will notice that the moderator posted this some hours after the posts and used the exact language of the poster that refused to respond to a courteous request.

Please ban me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter