Who else feels the price of Disney is not bad considering what you get

It cost us $1000 to go see a Yankees game last week. That includes the train tickets and food. I’m only going to be paying $600 more to get a 9 day park hopper.
Yeah, Yankees games are pretty expensive. I was curious how long your trip in September is and I found a post in a 2019 budget thread. It looks like you're spending about $730 per day at WDW. (As an aside, how did you get AoA for $103 per night?!?! Aside 2, we *loved* the Poly DVC studios!). That's not a Yankee's game per day, but it's not a budget trip either.

FWIW, I am sincerely glad you still feel you're getting a good value! I don't think I would be able to continue to do to WDW unless I owned my DVC timeshare. It's all paid off and all we pay for is yearly dues to the tune of about $2000. That'll get me at least 2 full weeks in a DVC BWV or AKV (home resorts) studio.

Yeah, Yankees games are pretty expensive. I was curious how long your trip in September is and I found a post in a 2019 budget thread. It looks like you're spending about $730 per day at WDW. (As an aside, how did you get AoA for $103 per night?!?! Aside 2, we *loved* the Poly DVC studios!). That's not a Yankee's game per day, but it's not a budget trip either.

FWIW, I am sincerely glad you still feel you're getting a good value! I don't think I would be able to continue to do to WDW unless I owned my DVC timeshare. It's all paid off and all we pay for is yearly dues to the tune of about $2000. That'll get me at least 2 full weeks in a DVC BWV or AKV (home resorts) studio.
The game was definitely expensive but our seats were for sure worth it.
We got the AoA deal because I booked it a year ago and then discounts came out the beginning of this year (earlier than normal) so I called and think I got 10 or 15% off per night. It's the Little Mermaid room so not a suite. We also rented points for our stay at Poly or else I'd NEVER pay rack rate for that resort. I think it comes out to high 3's per night there which is affordable for us. As far as the length of our trip, I always start off small to get my husband to agree lol. We discuss a trip for 6 night 7 days. Then I somehow add on another 3 little by little lol. Unfortunatly we have to do Disney big or we won't get to go. My husband is a snob when it comes to convenience and bed size so between the full size beds at values and the large moderate resorts, he feels the extra money for a deluxe is worth is, as long as I don't pay rack rate which I never have in the past 10 years so so far so good!

We book value and don't upgrade to park hoppers. For 2 adults, 7 nights and 8 days, plus the cost of the flight, food and souvenirs, we can stay under $3,000. I think that's an amazing value for what we're getting. I compare what we spend on trips/events throughout the year to a day in Disney all the time and it's rare that I get as much enjoyment for the cost. I haven't hit that threshold yet where I'm upset or annoyed by the price of our Disney vacation. I'm sure if I had kids, I'd probably feel otherwise though.

You get what you pay for. Local to us in UK there is alton towers theme park https://www.altontowers.com/ which you can go to for £36 a day (45 USD ouch I remember when it was two £ to the $....). Atm it's open 10-5. No fireworks. No characters and a couple of excellent roller coasters, some ok roller coasters. Bad food. UK weather. You have fun but never the 'Disney' feeling.
I don't get that feeling at universal anymore though, fast and furious was an awful ride and on our last trip the CM equivalents were abrupt and even quite rude. Maybe I just crave the Disney bubble and am willing to pay for it now.

We book value and don't upgrade to park hoppers. For 2 adults, 7 nights and 8 days, plus the cost of the flight, food and souvenirs, we can stay under $3,000. I think that's an amazing value for what we're getting. I compare what we spend on trips/events throughout the year to a day in Disney all the time and it's rare that I get as much enjoyment for the cost. I haven't hit that threshold yet where I'm upset or annoyed by the price of our Disney vacation. I'm sure if I had kids, I'd probably feel otherwise though.
nah, with kids it's priceless watching them enjoy the atmosphere and character interactions. Even the waits in line aren't bad with all the stimuli they provide while in line. I feel it's so worth the money!

I disagree completely. I enjoyed my time at Magic Kingdom when I went in February but I have just as much fun on a Cedar Point vacation. It costs less then half the price and the resort is just as good as a Disney resort.

I disagree completely. I enjoyed my time at Magic Kingdom when I went in February but I have just as much fun on a Cedar Point vacation. It costs less then half the price and the resort is just as good as a Disney resort.
Not sure who you were responding to exactly but I prefer WDW to all amusement parks including Cedar Point.

If you look at the difference between the two as difference inn hormonal response then Cedar Point is mostly Adrenaline and WDW is mostly Oxytocin.:). I prefer an Oxytocin kind of place for my family including my six year old twin girls. Lots of hugs and positive loving memories formed at WDW and lots of screaming and memories of terror formed at Cedar Point.

I gotta go with hugs and the pleasant and positive WDW memories for my girls.

Last edited:
Not sure who you were responding to exactly but I prefer WDW to all amusement parks including Cedar Point.

If you look at the difference between the two as difference inn hormonal response then Cedar Point is mostly Adrenaline and WDW is mostly Oxytocin.:). I prefer an Oxytocin kind of place for my family including my six year old twin girls. Lots of hugs and positive loving memories formed at WDW and lots of screaming and memories of controlled terror formed at Cedar Point.

I gotta go with hugs and pleasant positive WDW memories for my girls.
Agree. There's something about riding the monorail into CR. Even the voice of the announcers saying "please keep hands and feet inside the monorail at all times." Or the music on the busses and the voice announcing the entering of a park. Just can't get that anywhere else. My DD11 and I joke about how everything reminds us of Disney no matter where we are! There's so much more than rides at Disney.

As long as I remember this is an expensive vacation I am fine. It is magical and wonderful and unique. Except parking fees which just seem unreasonable but they seem to be everywhere in cities now a day. We stopped in Savanah on our way this time and they only offered valet at $34 a night. Of course I’m thinking of staying at Universal next time. Their park tickets are just as bad but the hotel prices seem more reasonable.

If you look at the difference between the two as difference inn hormonal response then Cedar Point is mostly Adrenaline and WDW is mostly Oxytocin.:). I prefer an Oxytocin kind of place for my family including my six year old twin girls. Lots of hugs and positive loving memories formed at WDW and lots of screaming and memories of terror formed at Cedar Point.

How is it memories of terror? Yeah you get screaming from people enjoying the roller coasters but it's no different then the as screams from Tower of Terror. Lots of hugs from Snoopy and his friends. I take it you never go on coasters like Everest or Rock and Rollercoaster?

I disagree with you. When you go to a concert or baseball game. That's what you get. A two hour concert, you are seeing a two hour (or close to it) concert. When you go to a game, you usually see a whole game (even if rain delays).

At Disney you pay and literally spend (sometimes) hours to wait in line for a,2-3 minute ride. You can wait for a ride, and it close due to "technical" difficulties. You plan months in advance for rides you are interested in, only to find out that repairs are needed, or its in the way of construction, so closed.

You stand in lines to meet characters, even with fast passes. You are standing in a way over crowded area to see fireworks and parades. Again, becAuse it is over crowded you "need" to arrive early for a decent spot. Taking away from that 12 hour time frame of enjoying anything.

Disney has been over selling tickets to enter the parks. I believe last time I heard MK can hold 50,000 guests at a time!

You may believe you get unlimited rides, attractions, etc. but with waiting in extended lines you dont. On a good day you might get 10-15 attractions.

Actually, the MK can hold over 100,000 at peak time.

If you don't think prices have gone up that much, or that you get good bang for your buck, consider this: When I honeymooned at WDW in July of 1977, we had a Lagoon/Theme Park View at the Polynesian, 5 day tickets including River Country and the nature island (both long gone), Hoop De Doo dinner, all other meals including gourmet dining at Poly where O'Hana's is now, and alcoholic beverages, for $375.00, total, for the week.

If you don't think prices have gone up that much, or that you get good bang for your buck, consider this: When I honeymooned at WDW in July of 1977, we had a Lagoon/Theme Park View at the Polynesian, 5 day tickets including River Country and the nature island (both long gone), Hoop De Doo dinner, all other meals including gourmet dining at Poly where O'Hana's is now, and alcoholic beverages, for $375.00, total, for the week.

Just another note. Using the cost of living increase factor from 1977 to 2019, which is 4.23, (comparing $1.00 in 1977 to $4.23 in 2019 per actuarial tables), my $375.00 honeymoon for the same thing today SHOULD cost $1586.00. Instead, the estimated 6 night room at the Poly is now $600 or more per night,
plus taxes and parking for a total of $4182; a 5 day ticket for two is $820, Hoop is about $150 for two, meals for six days for two about $800 (if you do all sit down as we did), for a whopping comparison of $5952 PLUS adult beverages. So on top of the normal cost of living increase, Disney makes an additional $4366 for this reservation compared to 1977. So, yeah, no longer worth it for me. (Obviously a completely unscientific comparison, but fairly accurate.)

You get what you pay for. Local to us in UK there is alton towers theme park https://www.altontowers.com/ which you can go to for £36 a day (45 USD ouch I remember when it was two £ to the $....). Atm it's open 10-5. No fireworks. No characters and a couple of excellent roller coasters, some ok roller coasters. Bad food. UK weather. You have fun but never the 'Disney' feeling.

I used to have an AP to Alton Towers, but since they stopped having public transportation I can't go anymore as I don't drive. The only buss running now only leaves once a day so I'd be lucky to get 6 hours in the park. And don't forget the state of the rides with paint peeling off and a lot of the effects not working. And the cleanliness of the park isn't very good as well.

To me Disney is well worth the money, not just for they Disney parks, but I enjoy so much of what the Orlando area has to offer. Nothing I've ever done can beat the feeling you get while you're immersed in the Disney experience.

I have to admit I'm a bit confused by this comment. I love Universal and yet I don't go on the big rides like Hulk and I can't handle too much screens because of motion sickness. I sure as heck ain't going to Universal for adrenaline. I love the atmosphere and I love Universal almost as much as WDW.

I think what each park (amusement or theme) gives you is what you make of it. A local amusement park (comparable to Cedar Point) I don't go on the big rides either but it holds a lot of memories from my childhood plus they've combined the admission tickets so 1 tickets gets you into the amusement park and the water park next to it. In fact that's part of the reason many people go back to WDW--they are holding on and recreating memories....isn't that what a lot of us do?

And terror? I mean I just don't see that at all. There's big rides but that's not all that's available from non-Disney parks..not by a long shot.

wow. My father said when we went to CR and got a theme park view it was almost $500/ night even then! That was in the early 90's

How is it memories of terror? Yeah you get screaming from people enjoying the roller coasters but it's no different then the as screams from Tower of Terror. Lots of hugs from Snoopy and his friends. I take it you never go on coasters like Everest or Rock and Rollercoaster?
The rides at WDW are tame compared to Cedar Point. Actually i do ride all the coasters and enjoy them and my wife is an aficionado of coasters. My wife and i ride all the coasters at Universal also.

The point is I dont go to WDW primarily for the coasters. If I did then Cedar Point would be a much better option. I came from a poor family and for me the TV program of the Wonderful World of Color (we didnt have a color television but an Uncle did that we visited for a weekend once or twice per year but i watched at home on B&W without fail) was a highlight of my week. Bambi, Snow White etc were also a very enjoyable part of my childhood.

We now live outside the US and Frozen, Moana etc are a positive part of my daughter’s lives. When we went to WDW when they were four years the highlights were meeting Princess Anna, Queen Elsa, and Tinker Bell plus the characters they see on Mickey Mouse clubhouse.

Disney is a deep part of American childhood for many people including myself. My girls don't have a clue who Snoopy is and I never liked Charlie Brown comics or TV shows.

I don't go to WDW for Everest or ToT but for the Disney atmosphere. We never had enough money to visit Disney during my childhood but I do have enough so that my twins can go and be charmed by the Disney atmosphere that they enjoy on TV and the movies.

I agree if I wanted to increase the Adrenaline levels of my family then we would go to Cedar Point or some other amusement park that features coasters or other high thrill rides.

We find Universal kind of boring. You can do all the rides there in one day if you buy a pass or visit at a low attendance day. My wife didnt grow up in the US and came from a very isolated location but she also strongly prefers WDW to Universal. She also finds Universal kind of sterile compared to WDW.

For many people there is no comparison between WDW and amusement parks. They are completely different.

Last visit we flew in to Orlando from Oslo and the plane was filled with Scandinavians whose primary interest was visiting WDW. One of the stewardesses was a former cast member at WDW and so it was basically a Disney flight from Norway. It is the same elsewhere in the world. If you ask kids in Africa where they would like to go in the US they will often answer Disney World. Disney is really a part of childhood globally and not just in the US. They see the movies and in many countries Disney Clubhouse is on TV and they enjoy everything Disney.

I am currently in the US but when i return to my family my daughters expect to go see Lion King and so I am concerned about the bad reviews.

I have to admit I'm a bit confused by this comment. I love Universal and yet I don't go on the big rides like Hulk and I can't handle too much screens because of motion sickness. I sure as heck ain't going to Universal for adrenaline. I love the atmosphere and I love Universal almost as much as WDW.

I think what each park (amusement or theme) gives you is what you make of it. A local amusement park (comparable to Cedar Point) I don't go on the big rides either but it holds a lot of memories from my childhood plus they've combined the admission tickets so 1 tickets gets you into the amusement park and the water park next to it. In fact that's part of the reason many people go back to WDW--they are holding on and recreating memories....isn't that what a lot of us do?

And terror? I mean I just don't see that at all. There's big rides but that's not all that's available from non-Disney parks..not by a long shot.
Please see my response above. There is really no comparison globally for Disney versus an amusement park. Almost all people go to amusement parks for the high thrill attractions and so you are in a small minority. Comparing Snoopy favorably to Disney, as an example, just isn't valid for most children. Most children around the world dont have a clue who Snoopy is but they all know the Disney movie characters.

Adrenaline is the hormone that signals the body for fight or flight and is the natural reaction to terror or extreme fear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!