Who does the room upgrades?

Why? Because I book the category I will be happy with to begin with. If Magic happens, it happens. But asking for it is not Magic.
Not supposed to be magic. It’s common knowledge. Book standard, ask and probably get preferred room location. It’s kinda a normal thing.

That works in Vegas but not really at Disney due to occupancy levels.
Have to disagree. We always stay lately at POFQ OR POP. Always book a standard. Always get free upgrade to preferred. All we do is ask. We go inMAY so it’s not busy at all. I know that’s a factor also. But it recently happened in late AUG

Just ask when you check in what room upgrades are potentially available and they will check and let you know the price. When the wife and I went to Vegas for my birthday last year, we stayed at Paris and when we checked in we asked if anything was available. Was able to upgrade to a jr suite for just an extra 30 a day, so we jumped on that.
Yep. This happens everywhere. Even Disney. Also Disneyland resorts. Trust me. Ask you shall receive.

I spend time on reddit/talesfromthefrontdesk (a subforum where hotel employees share work stories). The #2 thing I've learnt from there is if you ask (and you're pleasant - nasty guests get nowhere) they'll be more than happy to upgrade IF they've got availability. They don't find it awkward or rude or anything. The worst they can say is no.

Wow, this is an informative thread. I wasn’t aware that you could ask for room upgrades. That’s good to know.

I think the lady at the registration counter at AKL upgraded us one time, because it was our first time there , she asked. Our daughter got given a magic wand and our son a hat. She was very friendly and informative and gave us tips. That time, we did not do online check in. Im sure it depends where the upgrades come from.
I asked for an upgrade at AKL, I went from standard to savanna view.

Thank you for your responses! Happy to report that even when I didn't find out who was actually behind the upgrade I filled out the survey I got and included the name of the cast member for recognition. I also wrote a very descriptive email to the general manager of the resort and got a response back within a day thanking me for writing and for me to rest assured that she was going to pass on the note on to the people I mentioned in the email. :flower1: :-)

p.s. I had only been upgraded once before a couple of years ago at the AKL at the check-in counter. I had booked Standard view but the cast member checking us in offered a Savanna view upgrade. Upgrade that I was very sad to decline because the kids wanted a room with a bunk bed and the savanna view room only had two beds. I do hope another family got offered the upgrade and were able to enjoy the extra pixie dust.

That works in Vegas but not really at Disney due to occupancy levels.

Missed your reply, but it still never hurts to ask. If you don't ask, the answer will always be no. If you ask and if occupancy allows, it can happen. Whether it's free or discounted or not remains to be seen. But if you don't ask, it's a for sure 0%.

We stayed at Poly last June/July (DVC studio standard view). It was a friend’s birthday trip. We kind of jokingly asked if there were any upgrades to bungalows available. The front desk CM got on the phone. He hung up and said nothing available. He said he was hoping maybe a Lakeview was open. We did get our request - Tokelau third floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!