• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who do I ask?

Bsan1221

Earning My Ears
I broke my ankle and I already have had the cast on for 2 weeks I need another 4 weeks to go, however, when I go to Disney in May, 2003, I think I'll need a handi-cap bathroom. I will take my wheel chair on the trip because after the cast comes off I need to wear a lighter cast

My question is to make a request for a handi-cap room who do I need to call?? Also, I have heard when U get to the Theme Parks you can go to Customer relations and they give you some sort of pass for other Cast Members to Help you, and entrance to rides, etc, where do I get that Pass and does it even exist??

I've never been on a wheel chair to WDW what are the disadvantages???

Thanks

Good luck on your trip to WDW.
Here's the phone number for WDW Resort Special Reservations:
(407) 939-7807
(407) 939-7670 [TTY]
They are the place you would call for special room requests like a wheelchair accessible bathroom in your room, etc.
The card that you are asking about from Guest Relations in the parks is called a Guest Assistance Card. It is for people who have non-visible disabilities or who might, for example, use a wheelchair, but have other invisible disabilities/needs. You don't need a Guest Assitance Card if you are using a wheelchair and have no other needs. The CMs will allow you to bring the wheelchair into lines with you and direct you to the wheelchair entance (if there is one) without needing any card. In most cases, you can bring the wheelchair close to the ride car and board with only a few steps. CMs can't physically transfer anyone, but can steady the wheelchair, move it out of the way, etc.
People may tell you that wheelchair users get to go to the front of lines. This is NOT true. There are a few lines that are not wheelcahir accessible, but in most cases, you will be waiting in the same lines (and for as long) as everyone else. This is called Mainstream Access.

Click here for a link to the DIS page about touring with mobility disabilities. It includes a list of rides with Mainstream Access and ones where you can remain in the wheelchair for the entire ride/attraction and which ones you will need to transfer from the wheelchair to enjoy.
You can also go to the official Disney website and download a Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities at each park. It doesn't give a lot of details, but does tell which rides are smooth, easy rides and which are turbulent thrill rides. There is also a list of Companion Restrooms - larger restrooms that have enough room to drive the wheelchair into the restroom. Because MK is the oldest, it has the least accessible restrooms. Epcot is also not too great, but AK and the Studio have very good accessibility all over.
I'll let other posters talk about disadvantages.

A couple of years ago we traveled with a woman who had broken her ankle (severely) about ten days before the trip. Rather than using a wheelchair, she used an ECV for most everything and had crutches for the times she was in her room or to transfer between an the ECV and an attraction. Depending on your personal situation, an ECV might be better. Here is some information about off-site rentals:

Here are the urls:

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. They will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

You don't say if you are renting a car or what. If you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five pieces, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together.

Another suggestion is find out your state's requirements for a temporary disabled hang tag and get the paper work and have your doctor sign off on it. The tag will allow you to use any of the handicap parking areas (which will be a necessity). Also, with the policy of charging for valet parking, with a handicap hang tag the fees will be waived. Also the valets will usually volunteer to assist in loading/unloading an ECV. In Virginia I printed the required form from the DMV website. When I took the completed form to the DMV Office it took less than 15 minutes from the time I walked in until I had my tag.

As you will be in a cast, you might want to have the person who puts it on you draw a line with a marker where it will be sawn off. Then bring a "Sharpie" type marker pen with you and have the Characters sign the cast. Warn them when signing to not cross the line. After the cast is removed you will have an interesting souvenier.

You can use a bungee cord to help keep crutches or a folded up walker on the EVC or wheelchair. Usually it would be a short walk with the crutches from the wheelchair or EVC.

BTW, the friend was staying at CBR, and Housekeeping brought a shower chair so she and her family were able to use a regular room. Note almost all of the accessible rooms have king bed, while the normal rooms have either two doubles or queens, depending on the resort.

If you decide you can use a regular room, the Special Reservations number can assist in being located where necessary (such as close to an elevatior, or a ground floor room, etc.).

I hope this informaiton helps.

Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter