Which WDW DVC Resorts would you recommend?

Meemoo

DIS Veteran
Ok....So we're planning perhaps a once in a lifetime trip over to WDW - We are DVC members, I have never ventured to this part of the world before. If you only had one chance to visit WDW Resort area, which of the DVC resorts would you most highly recommend to a family of 4. I am thinking we would try maybe 2 of the resorts during our stay! Thank you - and as for once in a lifetime - well I said that about Aulani and here we are going back again less than a year later :lovestruc

Ok....So we're planning perhaps a once in a lifetime trip over to WDW - We are DVC members, I have never ventured to this part of the world before. If you only had one chance to visit WDW Resort area, which of the DVC resorts would you most highly recommend to a family of 4. I am thinking we would try maybe 2 of the resorts during our stay! Thank you - and as for once in a lifetime - well I said that about Aulani and here we are going back again less than a year later :lovestruc
Every resort has its charms, and some would say each has its drawbacks. Thus, it's hard to recommend any one or two without knowing a little about you. Are your kids small? Teens? Do you like action and activity at night, or do you prefer a more serene environment after all day at a park? What is your favorite park? Will you have a rental car or rely on the WDW transportation system to get around? The answers to those and similar questions would be a big help to anyone wishing to suggest a DVC property that best fits your needs. :)

sleepydog25 - Thank you for your reply, a little info would help I'm sure!
The kids will be 8 & 10 at time of travel. We wont be renting a car for this trip....Resorts we love are Aulani, Disneyland Hotel California, Grand Californian & HK Disneyland Resort which I believe is almost a replica of the Grand Floridian. We'd like to have access to places to eat of an evening, we like our buffets and simple eating options too!

Does anyone know if the ride from akv is shorter or longer than the ride from aoa to magic kingdom?.

I would say split your stay between the Animal Kingdom Villas - truly unique, three TS restaurants, 1 CS, 2 pools ... ANIMALS!! ... tons of activities during the day ...

Although I've never stayed there, the second choice would be Boardwalk Villas - easy access to Epcot and HS - and you get a touch of that NJ-NY shore vacation ... plus lots of restaurants nearby ...

These two resorts should give you very different experiences - and (I imagine) they are very different from Australia!!

sleepydog25 - Thank you for your reply, a little info would help I'm sure!
The kids will be 8 & 10 at time of travel. We wont be renting a car for this trip....Resorts we love are Aulani, Disneyland Hotel California, Grand Californian & HK Disneyland Resort which I believe is almost a replica of the Grand Floridian. We'd like to have access to places to eat of an evening, we like our buffets and simple eating options too!
My short answer is either VWL or BLT. The other resorts have their unique attractions (such as those pointed out by joelp), but VWL and BLT appear to have the most amenities that would best suit your family.
VWL - You can boat or bus over to MK, and bus service to other parks is quite good. Your family would have the option of Whispering Canyon Café which serves all-you-care-to-eat platters for breakfast and dinner (I believe lunch is a-la carte), as well having easy access to the Fort Wilderness Trail's End buffet--it's a walk of one mile along a paved trail where you are likely to see various wildlife: deer, rabbits, etc. You can rent bikes and ride to FW, too. VWL itself is perhaps the most serene of resorts at WDW with lots of trees (views from the rooms consist mostly of trees ;)) and has a very majestic feel thanks to its unique theming and architecture. You can catch a boat not only to MK, but there are boats that will take you over to the Contemporary which has its own array of eateries.
BLT - Located at the Contemporary, you have all the eating options there such as Chef Mickey's and The Wave, plus as suggested above, you can boat over to VWL and eat there or continue to FW for Trail's End. Certainly, being at BLT means a short walk to MK, and you would be able to take the monorail to EPCOT or a bus to other parks. Being on the monorail further means access to restaurants at the resorts along the monorail's route such as 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian or Ohana's at the Polynesian. The theming at BLT is more modern than grandiose, but many prefer that sleeker look than the woodsy feel of VWL.

The other resorts do offer nice amenities, but these two seem to be the best fit for your family. Perhaps others will provide differing opinions. Since I'm guessing you will only be able to make a reservation at the 7-month point, and depending on the time of year you plan to travel, you might not have the option of either of these two resorts. In that case, I'm sure you'll find whichever resort is available to be a wonderful place to stay, as well. Have fun deciding and enjoy your trip! :thumbsup2

I'd suggest one resort in the MK area and one in the EPCOT area, roughly a week each. Maybe stop in HI and CA on the way to break up the trip. If you have long enough you might want to add a few days at either AKV or VB to get a feel for a third option.

Our favourite trip is a split stay AKV BLT. The kids love AKV loads to do and the location of BLT is wonderful for all our favorite restaurants and the kids still love it.

how long would you be in WDW? i'm assuming at least 2-3 weeks as you are coming so far....?
from your preferences and the boys' ages, i would split your stay with AKV (boys would probably love the animals, and boma restaurant is excellent), maybe BLT (for walking access to MK), and/or BWV (about 5min walk to EPCOT and 15m to DHS, or take ferry), evening performers (magicians, etc) & carny games, ESPN, etc.
all the other DVC resorts have their own charms, but i think those three have the most suited for your family's first stay.
:)

I would definitely pick one of the Epcots resorts for part of your stay. If your kids love swimming, the pool @ BCV is awesome. Cape May has a great buffet & tons of dining options on the Boardwalk. Plus a short walk to countries in Epcot for more dining. Entertainment at night along the Boardwalk is great, too. We love that area. For MK area, we would pick BLT over WL. I just did not like WL but my DH did. Whispering Canyon does have a great breakfast buffet though. Good luck & enjoy your trip!

Have you been to DLR multiple times? If so, and given the ages of your kids, I would think you would be likely to spend more time at EP than MK. I'd probably choose a split-stay between one of the EP resorts (BWV, BCV) and AKV because it is so unique.

If you are booking at 7mos and don't have as many options, we stayed at OKW last year when our kids were 8 and 10 and we LOVED it. It was more of a relaxing vacation than a parks trip, so we didn't use the buses much, but I've heard good things about them and the resort is centrally located. The only negative might be the lack of food options nearby, although we loved Olivia's at OKW.

When we look at DVC resorts, we always consider the bed options as well. Our kids don't sleep well together (one girl, one boy, but even when they were younger they kicked each other while sleeping), so we will most likely always choose a 1-bdrm that has a sleeper chair (OKW, AKV, BLT) or splurge for a 2-bedroom.

As some previous posters said, my picks are animal kingdom and bay lake towers. Do savannah view at AKL. We love waking up and looking to see what animals are outside and our family loves Boma. Besides AK it's far from the parks but you can use that time to swim and enjoy the hotel.

At bay lake you are close to all the other parks. Its very modern and right on the monorail. Lovely bar on the roof with a view of the fireworks!

Good luck! You'll have a great time

If you like GCV and Aulani, I think you would be happiest with the amenities at AKV and VWL. They are both designed by the same person who did Aulani and GCV. Plus...VWL gives you quick easy access to the Magic Kingdom if that is a place you will spend a lot of time. AKV is just a really special resort all around, and frankly, I could stay there for a couple of weeks and never worry about going to a park. LOTS of things to do and see right at the resort plus several amazing restaurants.

We have two big favorites at WDW, and they are OKW and AKV. We LOVE OKW, but if this is your once in a lifetime trip, you need to experience the others first. OKW is "home", but AKV is special in a different way.

If you like GCV and Aulani, I think you would be happiest with the amenities at AKV and VWL. They are both designed by the same person who did Aulani and GCV. Plus...VWL gives you quick easy access to the Magic Kingdom if that is a place you will spend a lot of time. AKV is just a really special resort all around, and frankly, I could stay there for a couple of weeks and never worry about going to a park. LOTS of things to do and see right at the resort plus several amazing restaurants.

We have two big favorites at WDW, and they are OKW and AKV. We LOVE OKW, but if this is your once in a lifetime trip, you need to experience the others first. OKW is "home", but AKV is special in a different way.
I agree with your choices, too, but I'm curious about the statement regarding who designed Aulani. I know Peter Dominick designed WL, AKL, and GCV, but I didn't think he was consulted for Aulani, and of course he passed away in 2009. On the other hand, I think Joe Rohde had a hand in the design elements of both. Just curious. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter