Which Water Park to visit?

Gizmo74

Mouseketeer
Since I was able to upgrade my annual pass I am going to plan another trip that includes a water park. I have never been to a water park as a kid or adult. My kids are ages 11 and 9 and they have also never been. Guess I am afraid of crowds and not able to store my personal items when in the pool or waiting for a ride. Please share you pros/cons in the water parks as I have no clue which one to visit. Some questions I have:
Do you have to transfer buses to get to water park?
Which one better for ages 11 & 9?
Do you bring your phone and where do you put it when in the pool?
Can you rent chairs?
Do they provide towels?

My kids swim good but I always worry and watch them like a hawk in the regular hotel pool. I know my kids will love the water park, I just need to get comfortable with going as I am not into the whole pool thing. Any advice will be appreciated!

Since I was able to upgrade my annual pass I am going to plan another trip that includes a water park. I have never been to a water park as a kid or adult. My kids are ages 11 and 9 and they have also never been. Guess I am afraid of crowds and not able to store my personal items when in the pool or waiting for a ride. Please share you pros/cons in the water parks as I have no clue which one to visit. Some questions I have:
Can you rent chairs?
Do they provide towels?

My kids swim good but I always worry and watch them like a hawk in the regular hotel pool. I know my kids will love the water park, I just need to get comfortable with going as I am not into the whole pool thing. Any advice will be appreciated!
  • There are lockers you can rent to store your valuables. You can also rent towels.
  • Yes, there are no direct buses to the water parks since they changed the water parks' bus routes last year. To get to Typhoon Lagoon you must first go to Disney Springs. To get to Blizzard Beach you must first go to Animal Kingdom.
  • I recommend Typhoon Lagoon if you are only going to do one. Just be aware that their wave pool periodically simulates a tsunami effect. I make my son (who can swim) wear a lifejacket when in TL's wave pool. (They have racks of free lifejackets to borrow next to the wave pool).
  • Chairs are free, first person to lay their stuff on them gets to claim them as an all-day prize. Not fair imo, but that's how it works.

I recommend Typhoon Lagoon if you are only going to do one. Just be aware that their wave pool periodically simulates a tsunami effect. I make my son (who can swim) wear a lifejacket when in TL's wave pool. (They have racks of free lifejackets to borrow next to the wave pool).
I second Typhoon Lagoon, it has a tropical setting. Blizzard Beach has a ski resort theme. I think Blizzard Beach has faster, taller slides.

The wave pool does make a big "single" wave about once every ten minutes. It does get crowded in there, and it might not be so easy to watch them like a hawk. But there are 2-3 lifeguards stationed on each side of the wave pool. And for your concerns, a big horn sounds before each wave, so you could take that moment to locate your kids in the pool before the wave starts.

Typhoon Lagoon.
If you regularly go places where you would like to keep valuables safe and you have something to chain it to, try buying a Pac Safe Travelsafe. I go on 4 vacations a year so use it by the pool etc a lot, and always at waterparks (Hershey this year, and one in Portugal). Pays for itself eventually.

We always rent a locker. They give you a key on a wrist band so the key is with you all the time. You used to get two towels with the locker rental but I'm not sure if that is still the case. We go straight to the locker rentals when we arrive, put on our sunscreen, and lock everything up and then just go from ride to ride. Then later in the day we might go back to the locker, reapply sunscreen, and take our towels and sit somewhere or get a bite to eat. I never have to worry about my stuff! They do rent some chairs now with an umbrella for about $50 but we just use the free ones. Both parks are fun, but I think Typhoon would be better for your first visit.

Because of the rougher waves at Typhoon Lagoon, I would recommend Blizzard Beach for a first visit.

IMHO - Typhoon Lagoon is more water, relaxation oriented: Blizzard Beach's water focus is channeled into thrill rides vs relaxation.

We just take our magic band, no need for any valuables. It's your entry, 'cash', room key... you don't need anything else.

If you are staying at a DVC, you can just bring some pool towels with you, rather than rent them there.

They also rent platforms along side the lazy river where you can camp out for the day. Those are pretty pricy but more secure.

We just take our magic band, no need for any valuables. It's your entry, 'cash', room key... you don't need anything else.
Although the fresh mini donut lady can get really picky and want to see your AP card and photo ID to give the AP discount.

We did Blizzard Beach from BLT this past summer and used Uber to transport us, it was quick, easy, and worth every penny!

I add the chorus for Typhoon Lagoon if you only do one.

Not an issue for you since you have it included in your pass, but for anyone who doesn't and pays stand alone, just know Disney is ruthless in not giving credit regardless of the weather. We didn't include it in our passes once because we didn't expect to have time then had a free afternoon. I took my youngest son while the rest relaxed at the hotel. It was around 1:30pm. Weather was supposed to be fine but it's FL so you never know. We immediately got in line for the first tube and were in it about 20 minutes and almost to the front when they shut it down due to a thunderstorm. They shut everything down. Then it started pouring. And continued to until around 4pm, with the park scheduled to close at 5pm we finally gave up huddling in a gift shop. Most people gave up long before us. I showed them the receipt that showed we got into the park right before they shut everything down but they still wouldn't refund or give us a credit. From their POV you are buying at risk even if they only deliver you 20 minutes of park experience, all of which is line.

**This changes from time to time depending on when you are going, busier times of years usually not. also depends on what construction they are doing on the routes. Typically if you depart early in the morning you can go direct to the water park
**My PERSONAL opinion, mom of 3 kids and we have been to the water parks 3x over the past several years... Typhoon Lagoon. We just enjoy it MUCH more as a family and my kids love the water slides there more. Nothing beats the water coasters.
**If you don't rent an umbrella (which I love doing) you can leave it in the locker or at your seat / bury it in your stuff or even get a water tight lanyard and keep it with you
Can you rent chairs?
**there are plenty of shady chairs in both water parks, but renting umbrellas is awesome. We've done it at both parks. you get free towels, a shady spot, and exclusive access to your little umbrella elcove that houses your umbrella and several others. there is no monitor but people seem to respect eachothers space.
Do they provide towels?
**towels to rent or free towels with rental of umbrella or cabana

**the wave pools are crazy, but there are plenty of shallow areas to have fun in too. Lifeguards are amazing. All post-slide areas are shallow and safe again LOTS of guards. The waterparks are amazing and very fun!

Typhoon Lagoon.
If you regularly go places where you would like to keep valuables safe and you have something to chain it to, try buying a Pac Safe Travelsafe. I go on 4 vacations a year so use it by the pool etc a lot, and always at waterparks (Hershey this year, and one in Portugal). Pays for itself eventually.

I second the Travelsafe...I love mine! Used it in Indonesia, Greece, Italy, and China in addition to both TL and BB this summer. Invest in a non-keyed lock (my choice is a 4-digit 'Set your own combo' "rolling" lock). Locked it to my beach chair and didn't worry about my cell phone, wallet, rental car keys, etc. (and retained close easy access to all)

As for parks, I was more comfortable at TL with my 4-yo...my nieces and nephews (10-12-14-15) preferred BB. (More adventurous rides for them)

Be sure to research shady spots at whichever park you choose and hope for respectful neighbors.

We brought towels from OKW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter