Which to Disney to go to ? Disneyland or Disney World

tigger130

Earning My Ears
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone else has had dilemma. My husband and I are trying to figure out. Do we go to Walt Disney World or Disneyland? We have a 4 year old boy and almost 1 year old daughter. I myself have been to Walt Disney World about 15 times in my life. I can say its my happy place!! I love it there. My husband likes but not loves it as much as I do. If we did WDW we would go for 6 nights at the Boardwalk Inn in the fall.

My husband and I both have never been to Disneyland. I think is would be cool to go. I think it is the history of Disney I would love to see at Disneyland. Plus my son would love Cars Land too. If we did Disneyland my husband and I would take the kids and travel around California. It would probably be in June or early May. If we did go to Disneyland I would stay at the Disney Grand Californian for 2 or 3 nights.

I know we cant do both in one year. My question is which one do I pick. Has anyone been in this dilemma and what did you pick World or Land?

Thanks for the your help

If you've been to WDW 15 times and have the option to go to California then I'd say go to DL

If you really want to go to DL, then go for it. I'm in a similar situation to you. I've been to WDW between 15-20 times in my life, never gone to DL. I had the opportunity last year when I had a business trip to Temecula, CA. I decided not to go. I do want to see it someday, guess it just isn't really high on my list.

Disneyland. Those two parks are more complete and compact than the four disjointed and spread out parks in WDW. Being able to walk everywhere is a huge perk, considering you’re staying on-site.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. In 2016 we actually did both of your options - Disneyland/San Diego in May and then WDW in September, and both were great trips.

Disneyland!! It is so much easier to park hop. You literally walk about 100 yards from the opening of one park to the other. The hotels, either on property or off, are easy to walk to. There are about as many rides between the two parks at DL as there is between the 4 parks at DW. I am just back from spending Christmas at DW. I had a great time. However, the thought of having to deal with strollers and buses is exhausting to me. Plus not having to deal with humidity would seal the deal for me. Disneyland all the way!!

Disneyland hands down. We went to WDW (3rd trip) and DL (11th trip) this year and DL was by far the more relaxed trip. We like WDW but we love DL for its ease of planning and getting around. The 2 parks and DTD are literally a few minutes walk from each other.

I’ve recently been to DL the last 3 trips because work took me to LA. There are different things I love about both. Disney World is more immersive, and requires more planning. Disneyland is great if you only want to do a few days. I’d say both parks take 3 days tops even at a slower pace. So my rule of thumb now is if I can’t go a minimum of 5 days, it’s Disneyland. And I’m trying to alternate each year on which one we go to. As much as we love Disney, I want my kids to have other experiences. I also think the Bugs Life part of DL is much more little kid friendly.

I’ve recently been to DL the last 3 trips because work took me to LA. There are different things I love about both. Disney World is more immersive, and requires more planning. Disneyland is great if you only want to do a few days. I’d say both parks take 3 days tops even at a slower pace. So my rule of thumb now is if I can’t go a minimum of 5 days, it’s Disneyland. And I’m trying to alternate each year on which one we go to. As much as we love Disney, I want my kids to have other experiences. I also think the Bugs Life part of DL is much more little kid friendly.
But isn't the bug life land gone now?

DL - Completely different experiences
We have been to DW multiple, multiple times and DL once - absolutely loved cars land and the history of everything.

I am a WDW girl through and through, but really did enjoy DL when we went! It's a much different feel being so small and compact, and Cars Land really is amazing. It might be fun to experience it for the first time at the same time your kids are having their first Disney experience! Plus a shorter trip seems easier with little ones in my opinion

I love WDW. I would go several times a year if I could afford it. If I was retired with unlimited funds, I would move into Rarotonga, Room 1814, Polynesian Village Resort, WDW, Buena Vista, Florida.

We happen to be traveling to Arizona to visit my ill MIL. This may be our last visit because she isn't doing well. In order to cheer us up, I booked us 6 nights at the Disneyland Hotel after we leave AZ. We might not travel out west again, so I didn't want to give up the opportunity to explore Disneyland while we are so close.

After reading about how different it is from WDW, I'm having anxiety, and I'm not looking forward to it whatsoever. First world problem...I know. There's no dining plan. We always prepay for the DDP when we go so that all we worry about is tips. We take advantage of the DDP and usually order the most expensive items. We really make out well. Budgeting for meals is going to be difficult. Hopefully Tangaroa Terrace will be reopened by April so that we can order quick service as much as possible. I'm not nuts about not having FP+. I like knowing ahead of time which rides we have Fastpassed. They have the old system and Maxpass which I refuse to pay extra for. I would rather take that money and spend it on a nice table service dinner. Also, my friend warned me about the difference in castle sizes. Cinderella's castle is so grand. Seeing it as we walk down Main Street gives me goosebumps and tears.

I know that the Disneyland fans probably think that I'm nuts. No, I just really love WDW and our routines when we are there.

Good luck with your decision. Enjoy your trip, wherever you go.

Thank you for all this great info. We have decided to go to Disneyland. Not sure which hotel we are going to stay at yet. We will figure it out that is for sure. Now we have something to look forward to with all this snow we are getting here is Boston.

Disneyland is by far Disney’s best park. Here lately we have went to DLR the past few years instead of the World. Imho. Disneyland is best. If California had Epcot. Lol. We’d never goto WDW. Seriously though. Disneyland is just well. Perfect.

After reading about how different it is from WDW, I'm having anxiety, and I'm not looking forward to it whatsoever. [...]I know that the Disneyland fans probably think that I'm nuts. No, I just really love WDW and our routines when we are there.

I feel exactly the same way! And I'm a creature of habit. I do believe I'll visit DL one day, but it probably won't be for a few more years.

OP, congrats for deciding on a DL vacation! Come back and let us know how it went and how you think the two compare!

I've been to WDW a dozen times prior to going to Disneyland.

The biggest difference between DL and WDW is just the size and the "economization" of time. We stayed at good neighbor hotel and was able to walk to the Park, which you can only really do if you're staying at Boardway, Yacht & Beach Club, etc. But it took us 10 minutes to walk from our hotel to either Disneyland or California Adventure.

I feel that Disneyland is a long weekend that you add while doing other things in LA but WDW is a vacation.

I'd go back if I wasn't on the East Coast but I think it's a definite "DO" for any fan of WDW just to compare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter