Which resort with 15 month old??

Jhondy

Mouseketeer
I’ve just started planning my daughter’s first trip to WDW for November 2020. It will not only be her first trip but we will also be celebrating the one year mark of the finalization of her adoption (we finalize this November). So, even though she will only be 15 months and won’t remember the trip, I want the trip to be special and have convinced my husband we should stay deluxe. I’m between contemporary and beach club. We will likely stay at the lowest category room of which ever hotel we stay at cause of price but which is better for 15 month old? I like the contemporary for walk to magic kingdom but the pool at beach club seems like more fun.

We just got back from YC and the sand pool was packed with little ones playing. I think it’s great for that age!

contemporary is underrated. you'll probably spend most time at magic kingdom so that's the better of the 2.

I would ay they would spend most of their time at wherever the parents like best! The 15 mo old can not go on many rides (maybe carried onto Its a small world and the people mover). The baby will also not be able to walk in the parks and there is a good chance it will be scared of characters!!

When our daughter was not quite 2 we stayed at the wilderness lodge. The boat ride to magic kingdom was nice and I like how quiet the resort felt. The lobby is gorgeous and the whole resort feels small and really manageable

I would ay they would spend most of their time at wherever the parents like best! The 15 mo old can not go on many rides (maybe carried onto Its a small world and the people mover). The baby will also not be able to walk in the parks and there is a good chance it will be scared of characters!!

I disagree about the 15 month old not being able to go on many rides. My children have gone many times before that age and we were able to easily fill our week with rides they could go on. Furthermore, they did not become hesitant around characters until about 2-3 years old. The shows are great for that age too. You can always do rider switch if you want to go on some of the headliner attractions.

I haven’t stayed at either of those resorts, but the park you will enjoy the most at that age is Magic Kingdom. Therefore, my vote is the Contemporary. Enjoy!

The 15-month old can go on any ride without a height restriction - there are at least 16 rides just in MK that don't have height restrictions.

OP, I would pick the resort that will work best with your touring plan. If you will visit MK a lot, go CR. If you will visit EP/DHS a lot and think you will swim, pick BC, though, obviously you will need to supervise your child quite closely in that pool.

Maybe Im just way over protective, but a lot of the rides would be questionable or no's for me. (3 kids...grown now, but if I had grandkids.....

My DD enjoyed AK best. (She is the only one born after it opened. My boys were already over 5.) Rafikis Planet Watch, the animal exhibits, safari etc.. She loves/loved animals.

Epcot was also nice at that age. Lots of uncrowded areas in Future World to get out of the stroller and stretch legs/walk a little. I feel MK is much too crowded for a baby to be out of the stroller unless held. Future world is filled with attractions that a baby can look at and even touch!

HS, much like MK, I cant see a baby getting any real enjoyment out of being there.

My resort vote would go to..

YC/BC/Boardwalk (because its the first stop on the boat leaving EP and last stop on the boat going to EP)

AK Lodge with Savannah view!

Last edited:
Maybe Im just way over protective, but a lot of the rides would be questionable or no's for me. (3 kids...grown now, but if I had grandkids.....

My DD enjoyed AK best. (She is the only one born after it opened. My boys were already over 5.) Rafikis Planet Watch, the animal exhibits, safari etc.. She loves/loved animals.

Epcot was also nice at that age. Lots of uncrowded areas in Future World to get out of the stroller and stretch legs/walk a little. I feel MK is much too crowded for a baby to be out of the stroller unless held. Future world is filled with attractions that a baby can look at and even touch!

HS, much like MK, I cant see a baby getting any real enjoyment out of being there.

My resort vote would go to..

YC/BC/Boardwalk (because its the first stop on the boat leaving EP and last stop on the boat going to EP)

AK Lodge with Savannah view!
We took our daughter on Pirates & haunted mansion during our first trip. Also a few of the questionable rides you have listed - Little Mermaid, Astro orbiter, tea cups, and Buzz. She was tall for her age and we actually brought her on Barnstormer as well. We brought her on all of the rides she was tall enough for. We went back again when she was almost 3 and over 38inches and brought her on Mine train and SDD.

I think you have to see the temperament of your child. But many of those questionable rides I don’t get why questionable? There were plenty of babies on Tea Cups.

ETA: we did Peter Pan too

We took our daughter on Pirates & haunted mansion during our first trip. Also a few of the questionable rides you have listed - Little Mermaid, Astro orbiter, tea cups, and Buzz. She was tall for her age and we actually brought her on Barnstormer as well. We brought her on all of the rides she was tall enough for. We went back again when she was almost 3 and over 38inches and brought her on Mine train and SDD.

I think you have to see the temperament of your child. But many of those questionable rides I don’t get why questionable? There were plenty of babies on Tea Cups.

It is just what I would do with my own kids, barely over 1 ( who are/could be very different than other children at 1. Even my own. My first was early with every milestone, my second pretty average and 3rd slightly delayed, being 14 months before she could walk and about 2 before she spoke more than 10 little words. ) Everyone is free to do whatever they want with their own children.

My DD15 wanted to Uber into the city, 20 miles from home. I said NO WAY. My sister let her 17 year old Uber off at the MCO airport to visit a friend (neighbor from home) at some college in FL, while she and her hubby went to Disney. There is ZERO way I would let my kids do that. I wouldnt even begin to know where to look if something went wrong. I know Im over protective, but I would just not take my 1 yo on a rollercoaster, regardless of how tame ( well maybe the kind with little bumps, but barnstormer is not that). My DD went parasailing with my husband when she was 5. It was her choice and I feel she had the ability, at that age, to understand what she was getting herself into. My kids, before they were 3, would have no idea if they wanted to go on a ride or not. They just wouldnt understand it.

As for the tea cups, I would have to see. I wouldnt want my baby to get dizzy/scared/sick with no way to get off. Many adults dont like spinning either. Even though your cup my not be spinning, there are many things spinning around you, could be scary for a baby. My kids, under 2ish wouldnt understand if I told them it will be over soon!

Last edited:
I’ve just started planning my daughter’s first trip to WDW for November 2020. It will not only be her first trip but we will also be celebrating the one year mark of the finalization of her adoption (we finalize this November). So, even though she will only be 15 months and won’t remember the trip, I want the trip to be special and have convinced my husband we should stay deluxe. I’m between contemporary and beach club. We will likely stay at the lowest category room of which ever hotel we stay at cause of price but which is better for 15 month old? I like the contemporary for walk to magic kingdom but the pool at beach club seems like more fun.

We took our twins to Disney when they were that age! It was a blast! We stayed at both the resorts you mentioned (CR and BC) and we really did love CR for the walking path to MK, but we found our trip was more based on the resort and my babies LOVED the BC pool. As new walkers or "almost" walkers, being able to be on the sandy-bottom shallow pool was a lifesaver. We spent so much time there. We tried many other resorts when they were babies/toddlers, but we kept going back to BC because it just fit us best at the time. We really enjoyed putting them in a jogger at night and walking to Epcot and around Epcot until closing. We'd hit a few rides (with babies always in carriers) like Nemo or Figment or just walk around the world showcase. To us, it was the perfect way to end our days.

I would pick whichever resort you like better.
The sand bottom pool would be great but if you spend more time at Mk you can’t beat the monorail area resorts.
Do you travel to Disney often? If I thought we would return within a few years I would probably pick BC this trip and save a MK area resort for your DD is more preschool/early elementary age. We took our 18m and 4 y old last year. We did a split stay between Dolphin/Poly. Our 18m old didn’t care which hotel we were at. Our 4 year old however LOVED the pool area for kids at the Poly. We spent 3 Days at MK for the 4 year old who loved everything. Our 18m just tagged along and didn’t care which park we were at.

I guess it's a little disappointing to see that even adults aren't interested in Hall of Presidents. Not everything done with kids has to be for kids.
Isn't this ride also dark with no exit?
Astro Orbiter Questionable - very high
Okay, granted it is high off the ground. But it is the same distance from the platform as other similar attractions.
I'm surprised at this, as CoP is one of the longest attractions in Magic Kingdom. It's one of the longest attractions in Magic Kingdom, and if you try to exit they have to empty and reset the entire attraction.
My DD15 wanted to Uber into the city, 20 miles from home. I said NO WAY. My sister let her 17 year old Uber off at the MCO airport to visit a friend
I know this thread isn't about ride shares but just so you all know a Rideshare passenger has to be at least 18 or accompanied by somebody at least 18. A 15 or 17 year old using the Rideshare alone is actually violating the terms of service.

Thanks for all the replies.

We visit Disney more often than most people but not as often as people on these boards do. My hope is we will now go every other year with my daughter.

Obviously, I don’t know what my daughter will be like when she is 15 months since she isn’t even 2 months yet. However, so far she has been a pretty laid back baby and, while she is my only child so I don’t have much to compare to, I feel like she has been a pretty easy baby. However, I am planning on taking her on most rides that she is able to go on to (especially Peter Pan cause I love that ride and I think it is great for kids). If she doesn’t do well with rides then we will meet characters or watch shows or just take in the park atmosphere. I’m really not worried about what she may or may not be able to do or like to do because I know there is enough at Disney to be able to find something that she will like to do.

I’ve stayed at contemporary with my family many years ago and loved it. We stayed in bay lake tower and could see the fireworks from our room. It was great. What draws me to contemporary though is that magic kingdom fireworks is the one firework show that I always make a priority to see and being able to walk to hotel after fireworks and not have to deal with crowded busses would be amazing. Also if we spend most time at magic kingdom then walking back to the hotel for naps or to take a break would be really convenient.

But I’ve never stayed at beach club before and that has always been a hotel that I would love to stay at some day. I do love EPCOT. It has always been one of my favorite parks for some reason but I think we will spend more time in magic kingdom.

To throw another wrench into things. My husband is voting for Saratoga springs. We stayed there a few years ago and he liked being able to walk to downtown Disney in the evenings. I like Saratoga springs but that isn’t at the top of my list but it would save us some money. But idk if I care as much about saving money this trip because with my daughters age, the only special thing I want to do with her is a first haircut (if she has enough hair by then) and souvenirs for her won’t be much. So, I feel like this is the trip we can splurge more on the hotel.

If she doesn’t do well with rides then we will meet characters or watch shows or just take in the park atmosphere. I’m really not worried about what she may or may not be able to do or like to do because I know there is enough at Disney to be able to find something that she will like to do.

I was, by no means, trying to say your child will/will not like the rides. I was just pointing out that there was a possibility that you might not be spending most of your time in the MK, as anther poster stated, so consider other places other than the Contemporary. I really think the Boardwalk Inn might suit your family, for location and price.

I guess it's a little disappointing to see that even adults aren't interested in Hall of Presidents. Not everything done with kids has to be for kids. I was replying to a post of what rides babies could go on. This isnt exactly a ride and its 20+ minutes long. Unless I expected by baby to nap, or my baby was extremely patient, why would I go there if I would be trying to keep my baby entertained instead of watching the show?

I'm surprised at this, as CoP is one of the longest attractions in Magic Kingdom. It's one of the longest attractions in Magic Kingdom, and if you try to exit they have to empty and reset the entire attraction.

There are certain times you can leave. The "Exit" signs will light up when you can. Not while its in motion.

I know this thread isn't about ride shares but just so you all know a Rideshare passenger has to be at least 18 or accompanied by somebody at least 18. A 15 or 17 year old using the Rideshare alone is actually violating the terms of service.
I dont know the rules, I did not allow my daughter. I know another parent in the neighborhood allows her daughter to do it all the time and she is only 16 and my 17 yo niece did it in FL a few years ago.

From your favorite site, google........
Drivers will not know if you are under 18. The burden falls on you, as you are not supposed to be using the Uber app or requesting Uber rides, unless you are 18 or older.

I was, by no means, trying to say your child will/will not like the rides. I was just pointing out that there was a possibility that you might not be spending most of your time in the MK, as anther poster stated, so consider other places other than the Contemporary. I really think the Boardwalk Inn might suit your family, for location and price.

No worries, I didn’t take your post negatively at all. I know everyone has different experiences with kids in Disney. Since this is my first child, it’s good to be reminded that while it may seem like MK is the park we will be at most that it may not be.

As for boardwalk, I may be in the minority but I don’t care for that hotel. Don’t get me wrong, I love the boardwalk part and it’s proximity to EPCOT and HS but I hated the rooms. It was a while ago that I stayed there so they might have refurbished them since I was there but they just seemed outdated and run down.

As for boardwalk, I may be in the minority but I don’t care for that hotel. Don’t get me wrong, I love the boardwalk part and it’s proximity to EPCOT and HS but I hated the rooms. It was a while ago that I stayed there so they might have refurbished them since I was there but they just seemed outdated and run down.

Its been quite a while for me too. Just looked it up, last renovation was 2014. Not very different from BC/YC except in colors

Beach Club

Yacht Club. I dont care for the new rooms. I loved the old theme, but many love the new floors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter