Which resort for a family of five?

disneyobs

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

I am new to the board and have enjoyed reading many of your comments. We are planning a trip to WDW in Nov/03, there will be me , DH and our children age 9, 7 and 3. Do we qualify for a room that allows 4 plus one child in a crib, or do we have to stay in a room that allows 5, such as Dixie Landings? I am just not sure if it is 3 and under in a crib, or under 3 (so actually 2) in a crib.

Has anyone had this experience? She is really tiny, so I am anticipating that she will still fit in a crib.

Thanks!

Pat

We are a family of five and stayed at WL this summer. The toddler was 1 1/2 at the time and we requested bunkbeds for the older DD's. This gave us more room for the crib. The room was comfortable and not cramped.

We are also a family of five (10,6,and 3). We are doing the Poly May 3-9th. The Poly rooms are great. The boys share one of the queens and my daughter takes the day bed. Plenty of room and you are so close to everything. We also stayed at Dixie Landings and had a trundle bed which also worked.

Have fun!!

Yes, you'll have to stay in a room that allows five, since the rule is under 3 in a crib (2 like you said). Port Orleans Riverside (used to be Dixie Landings) would fit your needs. Two double beds and the pull out trundle for the 3 year old. Also to let you know, Disney doesn't provide full size cribs. They only provide pack 'n plays for babies and toddlers to sleep in. I'm sure a 3 year old would be too big for that!!! I know my small DS at 22 months just barely fit our our last trip!!!

If you are in a room with 2 queen beds at WL you may feel cramped. There just isn't much room. If you get a room with bunk beds that will work better. I'm not sure they can guarantee these rooms.

Your child doesn't actually have to sleep in the crib. They don't come in at night and check to see that the 3 yr old is not sleeping in one of the beds. We couldn't get clarification on this policy last year from Disney. Our DD was 3 and we were going to have 5 in the room at WL. They told us we met the guidelines and not to worry about it. The CM at WL said that if they checked all of the rooms to make sure there were only 4 people in them about 1/2 of the people would be over the limit.

Anyway, once we checked in, we immediately booked another room for my MIL because we felt cramped with just the 4 of us in one room. That's my take on things if you decide to stay at WL.

It does sound like you may be more comfortable in a room that sleeps 5 like Poly, Dixie Landings, FW Cabins.

Don't worry about the policy too much. You fall within the guidelines and if you decide to stay in a room that sleeps 4 plus 1 ch. under 3, you will be ok.

There are deluxe rooms available at WL, Contemporary and other resorts that sleep more than 5.

The crib they refer to at the resorts is a pack n' play-at least it was at WL.

Old Key West is nice for a large family as well. You get a kitchen to help off set the cost of food as well.

I would definately check out OKW. Not too bad of a price for the size.

If you end up going with OKW and you have young children I would suggest you request to be near the Hospitality House or Main Pool.

If your family wants to be near a certain park I would look at resorts near that park. You have a lot of options.

Last year we did WL because our kids wanted to be near MK and we wanted to have the quick boat ride there. This year they want to go to AK so we are staying at the AKL. Any resort will get you to any of the parks in a decent amount of time. We were going to spend a lot of time at MK last year so we decided on WL.

Don't forget to lool for discount codes, Disney Club discounts if you have a DC card, AP discounts, etc. for that time of year.

You may want to think about the Wilderness cabins. Lots of room--a full size, bunkbeds and a full size Murphy bed. Plus lots of things for the kids to do. There is a code for them right now that is very cheap

If you decide to stay at a DVC resort, you will need a two bedroom since the room occupancy is 4 plus one under 3 in a studio or one bedroom. Two bedroom is 8 plus one under 3.

How about a FW cabin? They hold 6.

We stayed at the Polynesian when we brought our two nieces. The daybed was a twin sized bed and very comfortable. The two beds were both queen sized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter