Which resort for a dad and 5yr old?

sking5844

Mouseketeer
i have reservations at both boardwalk and wilderness lodge. I was selfishly thinking boardwalk for walking distance to Epcot in evenings, but having a boat to MK is nice too for him. Any suggestions on which resort and why? We will be doing early morning at parks then midday pool break/rest and back to a park at night.

You know your son best .When my son was 5 he was more interested in MK and HS. For a 5 year old there is a lot to see and do at MK . The WL is a nice boat ride from MK great for afternoon breaks descent food court and 2 pools. It is also a quick bus ride to MK. Hope you have a wonderful trip no matter where you stay.

You know your son best .When my son was 5 he was more interested in MK and HS. For a 5 year old there is a lot to see and do at MK . The WL is a nice boat ride from MK great for afternoon breaks descent food court and 2 pools. It is also a quick bus ride to MK. Hope you have a wonderful trip no matter where you stay.
This is true. He would swim anywhere, but didn’t know if one pool area is more themed than the other and if there stuff a kid that age would enjoy on the actual boardwalk or is it more adult focused? I honestly have never been to that area of the resort.

I'd say BW for the combination of stuff for you and for him. You're also walking distance from Hollywood Studios, and the midday pool breaks at Stormalong Bay can't be beat with a kid that age.

Edit: Apparently I am too tired to read today and had beach club in my head even as I wrote boardwalk. Based on those two I'd do WL for proximity to MK, which has more rides he can do.

WL is a better fit IMO. He may be too young for the clown slide at BWV, the boat is a nice way to travel. Solid dining options at WL too.

The Boardwalk has a few carnival type games and performers during the evenings. Comedians, jugglers, different "acts" that are very enjoyable for all ages.

I'd say BW for the combination of stuff for you and for him. You're also walking distance from Hollywood Studios, and the midday pool breaks at Stormalong Bay can't be beat with a kid that age.

Stormalong is at Beach Club.

We took my 5 year olds to Boardwalk and they LOVED the clown slide. They'd go down over and over. Other kids who were younger and not solid swimmers were using life vests on it, so I wouldn't be concerned about it being too old for him. The little games the CM were doing were also fun for them and hubby and I appreciated that they were entertained while we rested on lounge chairs.

I can't overstate how great it was being able to walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. While the boat to MK is nice, it's still a mode of transport that you're waiting for. Walking in means being completely on your own schedule. Leaving our room at 8:15, stopping for a coffee and photo booth photos, meandering up to a 2 person deep security line at the IG, and having a thoroughly pleasant RD at Epcot was really invaluable, especially considering how much people complain about front of Epcot security. The walk to HS was a bit longer, but still less time than waiting for a bus would have been and, again, we were in control of our timing.

The WL was our very 1st resort to stay when my son was 5 and my nephew 4. They are now 16/17 and to this very day if u ask them to name their favorite resort after 12 trips they will tell u every time WL. They loved feeling like they were in a gigantic log cabin. They offered great activities like fishing and archery. We still fish every trip regardless where we stay and the tradition all began @ WL. Also, ur a short distance away from campgrounds to enjoy the Campfire Sing A Long w/ Chip & Dale. He enjoyed the playground there as well. Hoop Dee Doo Musical Rvw is great, as well as, Wispering Canyon Cafe for dining. Additionally, u have the advantage of viewing the boat parade each night after wrapping up your day at the parks. I love the Boardwalk, but if I had to choose for a 5 y/o boy, without hesitation would choose WL. I hope this helps make ur decision in some way or another and Have a fantastic trip w/ ur son!

I would do BWI. With two resorts and a ton of restaurants within walking distance, it’s so convenient. My DS loves watching the entertainment on the Boardwalk in the evenings. Unless you are using lyft/uber or Minnie Vans, I find the transportation to any park other than MK to be quite cumbersome from WL.

How long are you going? I would normally suggest a split stay, but the new FP+ limitations mean you ideally need 7-8 nights at one resort to have a shot at the difficult FP+'s. If going 10 - 14 days, I would do 8-10 nights at WL and the balance of 2-4 nights at the BWI.

Have fun whichever you choose!

Going for 5 nights. Mom was gonna come but we found out last week she is pregnant. She has no desire to go to FL in the summer and not be able to ride anything so said to just do a boys trip.

My kids are 8 and 4 and I've done numerous solo trips with just me and one of them. Love these trips by the way, so much fun when just 2 people can be in the moment.

I have not done a daddy/kid trip at either WL or BWI but have stayed at both - I've generally stayed at Poly, CR, or GF for those trips. We're a MK-centric family and also spend a lot of time at the pools, so that makes me think more of WL in your situation. Two good pools, one with zero entry. Your son may be too tall for the kids splash area at WL (they are pretty strict there) but it may be an option for you if he's not.

BWI's main pool is nice in that it's all contained in a small area, you can keep your eye on him easily, etc, but it doesn't have a zero entry area and no kids splash pad. Those two attributes are pretty big dings for how we travel.

How's your son's stamina for walking and/or would you still use a stroller? At 5 we had dropped the stroller but walkability to Epcot and DHS would have been borderline for my guy without the "daddy I'm tired" factor creeping in to the equation.

Both have lots of positive attributes!

Congrats BTW.

Going for 5 nights. Mom was gonna come but we found out last week she is pregnant. She has no desire to go to FL in the summer and not be able to ride anything so said to just do a boys trip.
Totally a completely personal decision, but I just went last week while pregnant, and there wasn't that many things I couldn't ride, and the food made it totally worth it. Now the heat is another beast, but have a look at the actual "do not ride" list, it's not as extensive as you'd think.

Totally a completely personal decision, but I just went last week while pregnant, and there wasn't that many things I couldn't ride, and the food made it totally worth it. Now the heat is another beast, but have a look at the actual "do not ride" list, it's not as extensive as you'd think.
We didn’t look at what she couldn’t ride, I think she just wasn’t interested in fighting the heat and she has had gestational diabetes with our first two and assumes she will with this one. Disney is not a great place to follow that strict diet you have with that affliction.

We decided on BWI since you can walk to two parks and I think he will like the boardwalk entertainment.

Lots of opinions already stated, not much to add in that regard. Just a Congrats in ur upcoming Family addition and wishing u and ur son a great visit wherever you stay.
Memories for a lifetime!

Well you know your kid best not us. I looked hard at the Boardwalk and the Yachtclub but the daughter said one word to me Monorail. Since my life does revolve around the daughter and her half sister my god daughter the Poly is looking like the winner (if we had to stay on the monorail I so wanted the tower at the Contemp).

i have reservations at both boardwalk and wilderness lodge. I was selfishly thinking boardwalk for walking distance to Epcot in evenings, but having a boat to MK is nice too for him. Any suggestions on which resort and why? We will be doing early morning at parks then midday pool break/rest and back to a park at night.

I would go with the Contemporary in this case!

Those are my two favorite resorts if not staying DVC. But, in your case with a little one at that age, I would go WL for sure. 1. Beautifull resort and the boat to MK is wonderful. 2. Pool is better even though I do even like the clown. 3. Nice walkway and boat over to the campground where there are lots for a little tyke to do. Book the HDDR for just you and him for a wonderful night and take the hayride!

I would probably go with the WL if you are only going for 5 days. With a 5 year old, I expect that you will be spending quite a bit of time at the MK.

Another vote for Wilderness Lodge. What a special treat for you both to have this guy trip before the baby comes and changes the family dynamics. Enjoy. Special memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter