Which port excursions for St. Kitts, Antigua, and St. Thomas?

AGP

Mouseketeer
Hello- wondering if anyone can give me any recommendations on any beach or snorkeling excursions for St. Kitts, Antigua, or St Thomas that you have done. Looking for a beautiful beach with good onsite bar/restaurant and also looking for a great snorkeling excursion (have an 8 and 10 year old, so would like something not too intense but with great views of tropical fish). I am considering SK49 Carambola Beach for St kitts; A22 Castaways Beach escape or A02 Stingray swim & snorkel for Antigua; and ST08 Doubloon Turtle cove sail & snorkel or ST43 day at Turtle cove and Honeymoon beach for St Thomas. Or did you just take a cab to a beach at any of these places? Any recommendation greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
I would definitely go to Trunk Bay Beach on St. John. We loved the underwater snorkel trail there.

Reactions: AGP
thanks! did you do a port adventure through DCL, or just take a cab there?

We actually did it through Disney. We usually don't but we were with another family (first-time cruisers) who were nervous about navigating the ferry, etc. on our own.

We actually did it through Disney. We usually don't but we were with another family (first-time cruisers) who were nervous about navigating the ferry, etc. on our own.
Its odd that there is no Trunk Bay excursion from St. John's but there is one that goes from St. Thomas... would rather do it while on St. Johns. Maybe we will just try to take a cab to Trunk Bay Beach and hope that there is snorkel equipment to rent while at Trunk Bay. It does look really cool!

Its odd that there is no Trunk Bay excursion from St. John's but there is one that goes from St. Thomas... would rather do it while on St. Johns. Maybe we will just try to take a cab to Trunk Bay Beach and hope that there is snorkel equipment to rent while at Trunk Bay. It does look really cool!

That doesn't sound right. I don't think any Disney ship docks at St. John, USVI. Is it St. John's, Antigua?

We did our excursion to Trunk Bay from St. Thomas.

Last edited:
That doesn't sound right. I don't think any Disney ship docks at St. John, USVI. Is it St. John's, Antigua?

We did our excursion from to Trunk Bay from St. Thomas.

ohhh.. now I see what you are saying. yes, I was confused, we are going to St. Johns, Antigua.

Last edited:

Hello- wondering if anyone can give me any recommendations on any beach or snorkeling excursions for St. Kitts, Antigua, or St Thomas that you have done. Looking for a beautiful beach with good onsite bar/restaurant and also looking for a great snorkeling excursion (have an 8 and 10 year old, so would like something not too intense but with great views of tropical fish). I am considering SK49 Carambola Beach for St kitts; A22 Castaways Beach escape or A02 Stingray swim & snorkel for Antigua; and ST08 Doubloon Turtle cove sail & snorkel or ST43 day at Turtle cove and Honeymoon beach for St Thomas. Or did you just take a cab to a beach at any of these places? Any recommendation greatly appreciated!!
This is the one we did just last week (I assume it's the same - that was the name for it). We enjoyed it a lot. Basic plan was:
- Get off the ship pretty early on (we met at 7:30 on ship, and were off before 8), went to the marina right next to the pier
- Boarded a pirate-style ship (they split the Disney group in half. Our half rode Blackbeard's Revenge, the other half of the tour had the Bones). The tour description said it could have been a catamaran, but I'm glad we got the pirate ship.
- Rode about an hour to Turtle Cove where we anchored. Several other boats were there, also.
- Had about 1 hour to snorkel there. We saw turtles out in the water, then fish near the reef. It was kind of on our own, but the guide from the boat told us the general route to swim, and was with most of the group (we were behind, since one daughter had to return to the boat for new equipment, and the other was very slow to get going). The snorkeling here was good.
- Rode about an hour to Honeymoon Beach on Water Island. During this ride they let out some sails.
- At this beach, we had the option of snorkeling/swimming in to shore, or taking a "water taxi" to shore. They brought bags to shore in the water taxi.
- There was a buffet lunch on the beach, cooked at one of the food places. Ribs and chicken plus some sides (beans, macaroni salad, something else) for adults. Chicken nuggets, hot dogs, mac&cheese for kids. There were a couple of bars/food stands where you could get other stuff, but unless you wanted alcohol, the lunch provided was plenty.
- We had much more than an hour (maybe 2?) at Honeymoon beach. You could swim and snorkel there. It was a nice beach, and there were picnic tables to sit at, several shady areas, etc. In the swimming area, there were a few fish and a turtle, but much less than at the earlier site (honestly, the snorkeling was better at Castaway Cay than at this location).
- Rode back about 30 minutes (?) to the marina. We were back around 2:00.
- During the rides on the ship, they offered soft drinks, water, and rum punch.

Overall we really liked the day. It was our daughters' first time snorkeling, so we were a little slow getting started, and then I was literally the last one back on the boat at Turtle Cove (a bit embarrassing - we had not heard the call to return, and had thought the others still snorkeling out there were from our boat, but they were from the other...).

As for your criteria: yes, the beach was nice. There was a bar on the beach. I wouldn't say there was a "restaurant", but lunch was included, and there were multiple stands that served food you could buy, if you wanted something different, and there were picnic tables you could sit at and restrooms available. The snorkeling was good (turtles were great, fish were OK when I was there, but not sure how much better it gets). On the fish, I think I was spoiled by having my first 2 experiences being what I think are 2 of the top snorkeling sites in the world (one in Hawaii, one in the Red Sea), and this was not up to those levels, but was still fine (got to see several fish and coral). I'd have liked a little more time at Turtle Cove, and less at Honeymoon Beach myself (we had 2 other beach days), but we still had a great time, and I'd recommend it. Plus, the kids got to help do stuff like raise and lower sails, and fire the onboard cannon on our boat, and some got pirate tattoos, which was fun (but not sure that is part of all excursions).

This is the one we did just last week (I assume it's the same - that was the name for it). We enjoyed it a lot. Basic plan was:
- Get off the ship pretty early on (we met at 7:30 on ship, and were off before 8), went to the marina right next to the pier
- Boarded a pirate-style ship (they split the Disney group in half. Our half rode Blackbeard's Revenge, the other half of the tour had the Bones). The tour description said it could have been a catamaran, but I'm glad we got the pirate ship.
- Rode about an hour to Turtle Cove where we anchored. Several other boats were there, also.
- Had about 1 hour to snorkel there. We saw turtles out in the water, then fish near the reef. It was kind of on our own, but the guide from the boat told us the general route to swim, and was with most of the group (we were behind, since one daughter had to return to the boat for new equipment, and the other was very slow to get going). The snorkeling here was good.
- Rode about an hour to Honeymoon Beach on Water Island. During this ride they let out some sails.
- At this beach, we had the option of snorkeling/swimming in to shore, or taking a "water taxi" to shore. They brought bags to shore in the water taxi.
- There was a buffet lunch on the beach, cooked at one of the food places. Ribs and chicken plus some sides (beans, macaroni salad, something else) for adults. Chicken nuggets, hot dogs, mac&cheese for kids. There were a couple of bars/food stands where you could get other stuff, but unless you wanted alcohol, the lunch provided was plenty.
- We had much more than an hour (maybe 2?) at Honeymoon beach. You could swim and snorkel there. It was a nice beach, and there were picnic tables to sit at, several shady areas, etc. In the swimming area, there were a few fish and a turtle, but much less than at the earlier site (honestly, the snorkeling was better at Castaway Cay than at this location).
- Rode back about 30 minutes (?) to the marina. We were back around 2:00.
- During the rides on the ship, they offered soft drinks, water, and rum punch.

Overall we really liked the day. It was our daughters' first time snorkeling, so we were a little slow getting started, and then I was literally the last one back on the boat at Turtle Cove (a bit embarrassing - we had not heard the call to return, and had thought the others still snorkeling out there were from our boat, but they were from the other...).

As for your criteria: yes, the beach was nice. There was a bar on the beach. I wouldn't say there was a "restaurant", but lunch was included, and there were multiple stands that served food you could buy, if you wanted something different, and there were picnic tables you could sit at and restrooms available. The snorkeling was good (turtles were great, fish were OK when I was there, but not sure how much better it gets). On the fish, I think I was spoiled by having my first 2 experiences being what I think are 2 of the top snorkeling sites in the world (one in Hawaii, one in the Red Sea), and this was not up to those levels, but was still fine (got to see several fish and coral). I'd have liked a little more time at Turtle Cove, and less at Honeymoon Beach myself (we had 2 other beach days), but we still had a great time, and I'd recommend it. Plus, the kids got to help do stuff like raise and lower sails, and fire the onboard cannon on our boat, and some got pirate tattoos, which was fun (but not sure that is part of all excursions).
Thank you! This is very helpful!

Antigua - if DCL is really still going - they (Antigua) wants cruise ships to stop coming there. But I would do the excursion through Antigua Paddles. When we were there, DCL had booked their entire inventory for the day.

This excursion included, Boating, a Hike up Bird Island (I think that was the name) where one side is the Atlantic, the other is the Caribbean, and finally kayaking. Then a zippy boat ride back to the house where some refreshments are waiting. We loved this excursion.

Antigua - if DCL is really still going - they (Antigua) wants cruise ships to stop coming there. But I would do the excursion through Antigua Paddles. When we were there, DCL had booked their entire inventory for the day.

This excursion included, Boating, a Hike up Bird Island (I think that was the name) where one side is the Atlantic, the other is the Caribbean, and finally kayaking. Then a zippy boat ride back to the house where some refreshments are waiting. We loved this excursion.
thanks! interesting that they don't want cruise ships - do you know why? is it not a good destination?

Are you on the June 22 Fantasy? If so, when is your booking day for activities?

We went to Carambola Beach Club on St. Kitts.
We made reservations on our own through their facebook page (I think, maybe it was their website). We took a taxi there.
The taxi stand was right outside the port area, we asked at drop off and our driver returned when we asked him to.
The beach was LOVELY. Only complaint was that the food service was SLOW. Also had lunch reservation.
We went on our own and I think it was substantially cheaper than the Disney excursion.
It was a beautiful beach, we had a lovely time.

Megan's Bay in St. Thomas is also beautiful.
We did the Disney excursion, next time I might do it on our own also.

thanks! interesting that they don't want cruise ships - do you know why? is it not a good destination?
DW's google news feed has sent her several articles over the past week or two. I've just done a search and really haven't found anything definitive ... but Carnival is "leaving" Antigua ... but it just might be a strong armed negotiating tactic (kinda like the mouse making big demands :teeth:)

========================================
Clipped from an article...
The decision follows a new contract between Antigua and Global Ports Holding (GPH), a cruise port management company, which was announced in February. Outlined in the new concession agreement are cost increases that Carnival Corp. & plc -- Carnival Cruise Line's parent company -- said make Antigua "un-competitive."

"We are clearly concerned about the direction the government of Antigua has taken in regards to its port and we have discussions underway with the government to see if we can resolve the issues," Roger Frizzell, Carnival Corp.'s senior vice president and chief communications officer, told Cruise Critic. "Our focus, all along, has been to grow the business for the benefit of Antigua, its business community and our cruise brands and guests. To accomplish this, we need to have competitive pricing and retain our historical berthing capabilities. We look forward to working with the government on these important topics."

the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association also weighed in on Antigua and Barbuda's recent actions.

"The FCCA is disappointed in the anti-cruise rhetoric coming from Government and as always is prepared to meet face to face with Government and review the many benefits that the cruise industry brings to Antigua and Barbuda,"

===============================

Some "reasons": Government vs Tourism Board

Carnival and Other Lines (but mostly Carnival subsidiaries)

Gvt to hold talks with Carnival (some discussion about "confusion" within Antigua's gvt)

and finally: Cruise Lines Committed to Visiting Antigua

Last edited:
We went to Carambola Beach Club on St. Kitts.
We made reservations on our own through their facebook page (I think, maybe it was their website). We took a taxi there.
The taxi stand was right outside the port area, we asked at drop off and our driver returned when we asked him to.
The beach was LOVELY. Only complaint was that the food service was SLOW. Also had lunch reservation.
We went on our own and I think it was substantially cheaper than the Disney excursion.
It was a beautiful beach, we had a lovely time.

Megan's Bay in St. Thomas is also beautiful.
We did the Disney excursion, next time I might do it on our own also.
Thank you! Great info- glad to hear a good review for Carambola beach club.

Booking opens at 12:01 am Eastern.
Ugghhh I forgot about that- so I need to stay up to midnight on a Sunday :( or wait, I guess it’s actually Sat night since my day is the 24th- that’s a little better!

Yes! Our booking day is March 24th. Can anyone remind me what time booking opens? Is it 8am that day?
Actually check in will open around 7 pm on March 23rd for you. Activities will be midnight.

We’re on the same cruise, but this is our first cruise, so ours is April 8. Any chance you could let me know if the activities we’re interested in are still available?

For St. Kitts:
4x4 Island Safari and Beach (SK20)

For St. John’s:

Kayak, Hike and Snorkel Adventure (A21)

For St. Thomas we’re doing the sea lion swim we booked directly with Coral World.

We’re also hoping for an early check in time!

Thanks!

Actually check in will open around 7 pm on March 23rd for you. Activities will be midnight.

We’re on the same cruise, but this is our first cruise, so ours is April 8. Any chance you could let me know if the activities we’re interested in are still available?

For St. Kitts:
4x4 Island Safari and Beach (SK20)

For St. John’s:

Kayak, Hike and Snorkel Adventure (A21)

For St. Thomas we’re doing the sea lion swim we booked directly with Coral World.

We’re also hoping for an early check in time!

Thanks!
thanks!! forgot about check in too! this is our second cruise but I can't remember anything about how I booked things last time! sure- I'll take a look Sunday and let you know if they show up as available

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter