Which Order do you Open Your Advent Calendar?

I saw this debate last year and was very surprised that people would start on the 24th. It’s an advent calendar - you’re counting up to Christmas, so you start at 1, at least in the UK. I’ve never seen anyone do it the other way.

Some of the ones I had in the past had a larger door with a larger item in number 24 as this was the item to be opened Christmas Eve Day, December 24. Or the older ones that just had religious pictures under each flap, had the scene of the birth of Jesus under #24.

Interestingly, Advent isn’t always Dec 1-24. Some calendars used to have the actual days involved, some starting earlier and some later than Dec 1, though the ones I commonly see today have standardized on Dec 1-24.

My husband and I had a legit argument about this a few years ago. :rotfl:
I say start at 25 and count down, he says “It’s a calendar so you go by the date”.

My husband and I had a legit argument about this a few years ago. :rotfl:
I say start at 25 and count down, he says “It’s a calendar so you go by the date”.

Exactly. So you count up.

If you peek at the gifts ahead of time, you'll see that the highest number of your calendar has the best gift. For your typical kids chocolate advent calendar, that ends at 24, there might be a foil wrapped chocolate Santa while all the other numbers have a foil wrapped ball of chocolate.

You don't want to open your Santa on day 1 and then be left with only balls for the rest of your days. You save the best gift for last. :)

I bought a couple this year and I'm starting at 1, not because of the date but because it's the start.

Exactly. So you count up.

If you peek at the gifts ahead of time, you'll see that the highest number of your calendar has the best gift. For your typical kids chocolate advent calendar, that ends at 24, there might be a foil wrapped chocolate Santa while all the other numbers have a foil wrapped ball of chocolate.

You don't want to open your Santa on day 1 and then be left with only balls for the rest of your days. You save the best gift for last. :)

How can I peek??

You only do that with the wine Advent calendar! :D

Is this a thing?!?!? Because I need this.

How can I peek??

Is this a thing?!?!? Because I need this.

Aldi's had them this year. I understand they sold out in minutes. They were $70. I'm thinking next year, they'll order more, it was so popular. I had told DD23 to get one and put it on my credit card, as a little gift for her (she lives 800 miles away). I doubt she got one, so I might make her a Christmas tree-shaped one out of toilet paper tubes, and put a nip inside each tube. She's a teacher, a little something to get her through December would come in handy.

Some of the ones I had in the past had a larger door with a larger item in number 24 as this was the item to be opened Christmas Eve Day, December 24. Or the older ones that just had religious pictures under each flap, had the scene of the birth of Jesus under #24.

Interestingly, Advent isn’t always Dec 1-24. Some calendars used to have the actual days involved, some starting earlier and some later than Dec 1, though the ones I commonly see today have standardized on Dec 1-24.
I was married to a Catholic for 14-ish years and by the Catholic calendar, Advent is the 4 sundays before Christmas. So this year, Advent begins on December 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter