Which moderate?

luvdmouse

Mouseketeer
Family of 5 with 3 young adults. Haven't stayed at a moderate since they were young. Visiting during next New Year's and trying to figure out which to select? Some of my kids want to go to all the parks, and one would be very happy sitting at a pool and working out occasionally. I have some mobility issues so I try to watch my walking when I can so I can do everything at the parks. Anyone been to the moderates lately and have any updates or opinions? Seems like lots of construction going on and not sure if it will still be going on in December. I'd love to hear.

For the mobility issues, I would recommend French Quarter. It is compact for a moderate. A benefit for the one that is happy staying at the resort is that FQ is very close to Riverside and could use the facilities at either one.

Are you looking to all fit in one room, or will you get two rooms? You will only be able to all "fit" in one room at Port Orleans Riverside or Caribbean Beach. I put "fit" in quotes because that would mean your room would have 2 queen beds and one pull down bed, which is smaller than a regular twin sized bed. Depending on how big your kids are, that might not be an option.

For the one that wants to workout, only one moderate has a fitness center, and that's Coronado springs. Coronado springs DOES have some junior suites and suites where all of you can fit, but the prices might be more in line with deluxe resorts.

PP is correct - the recommendations will likely depend on if you want one room or two rooms. Other than what PP mentions, I will also add that if you are in one room, there will be a per night charge per person for anyone over the age of 18 after the first two people. In other words, if all 5 of you are over 18, there would be an extra person charge per person per night for 3 of the 5 of you. If you did two rooms, you'd only get hit with this charge for 1 person. It would behoove you to price out 2 rooms with 1 extra person charge compared to 1 room with 3 extra persons charges. The price difference may be negligible, and worth the convenience of two rooms and two bathrooms. Personally, I would do two rooms and not even consider one room.

Assuming you go with two rooms, PP is correct that CSR is the only one with a fitness facility, but all of them have paths which are ideal for jogging. With mobility issues, POFQ is the smallest and easiest to navigate. The biggest construction right now is at CSR, which will be done by the summer. CBR's construction has finished already.

We just did a preferred room at POR. It was close to the main lobby so not too much walking. I've slept on the single murphy beds before (at BCV although these are the same type they have at POR) and thought they were fine for the few nights I was there (I'm a 5'5" and about 165lbs). Not sure I'd want to sleep on one for a week but the kids could alternate.

Have you considered renting DVC points? I just did a quick search and the cheapest I could find was $263 per night at CBR whereas for DVC, I found a bunch of one bedrooms for around $478/night (AKL, OKW, SS, BWV). Yes, that's a decent difference but not if you calculate in the per person charge or if you're doing two rooms. For a seven night stay, you'd actually save over $400 if you need two rooms vs the one bedroom. Plus a full kitchen and a washer/dryer in the unit.

Are you looking to all fit in one room, or will you get two rooms? You will only be able to all "fit" in one room at Port Orleans Riverside or Caribbean Beach. I put "fit" in quotes because that would mean your room would have 2 queen beds and one pull down bed, which is smaller than a regular twin sized bed. Depending on how big your kids are, that might not be an option.

For the one that wants to workout, only one moderate has a fitness center, and that's Coronado springs. Coronado springs DOES have some junior suites and suites where all of you can fit, but the prices might be more in line with deluxe resorts.
We are doing two rooms. Grandma May end up joining too.

Thank you for your thoughts. In the last 10 years we’ve stayed at CR, POLY and BC, so it’s going to be a change for us no matter which we pick.

You might also explore Wilderness deluxe room prices. They allow 6 adults per room with no extra per person charges, but the biggest perk is that you’d be club level. Free breakfast, free drinks, free snacks & often the evening appetizers pass as dinner! We did this last spring break & it worked out better pricewise for our group of 4 adults, 2 ten year olds & a toddler. But some(maybe all?) of the deluxe rooms are a far trek to the lounge. And I did have the pass holder discount.

I just booked 2 rooms in the new tower at CSR. Never stayed at this resort. Hoping that with the new restaurants, sports bar, and health club, it will be a more grown up experience. Also thought it would feel more like a deluxe experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter