Which dvc for my family

rymahoney

DIS Veteran
January I'm planning on trying a dvc resort before buying. I will have my wife and I 4 yr old and 5 month old and my mother in law. Was looking for a room with 2 baths 2 bedrooms not a necessity my mother in law says she will sleep wherever as long as she can go. Thanks

January I'm planning on trying a dvc resort before buying. I will have my wife and I 4 yr old and 5 month old and my mother in law. Was looking for a room with 2 baths 2 bedrooms not a necessity my mother in law says she will sleep wherever as long as she can go. Thanks

The only DVC with 2 baths in a 1 BR would be AKV-Kidani and BLT. With young children, I would guess that being close to MK would be a priority. If so, that might sway you towards BLT.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

If you would prefer a 2BR, an OKW 2BR prices out for less than a 1BR LV at BLT (assuming you are renting points).

I agree that a 1BR at AKV or BLT makes the most sense, given the second bathroom. My son could have spent half a day in the elevator lobby watching the monorail go by at BLT. Young children like watching the animals on the savanna at AKV, but the bus ride to MK is about 20 minutes. The pool area at Kidani is much nicer than BLT for young ones. The standard view 1BR's are a nice savings, and there are plenty of areas at the resort to see the animals on the savanna.

January is a great time to go. The parks are relatively quiet. The weather can be hit or miss, so you may not get much pool time. Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if the ride from akv is shorter or longer than the ride from aoa to magic kingdom?

The rack rates for the DVC Villas are REALLY expensive!!

You may want to consider staying in one of the family suites at All-Stars Music or Art of Animation, and then visit a bunch of the DVC Villas to get an idea of what each one is like.

Even if you do stay at a Villa, I would still tour a few of the other DVC properties to help you decide on your Home Resort...

AKV and BLT are VERY different - and while BLT does have a better location transportation-wise, AKV is simply AMAZING ...

Good Luck!!

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if the ride from akv is shorter or longer than the ride from aoa to magic kingdom?

We have never stayed at AOA, but looking on a map, it appears to be just slightly closer to MK than AKV. One nice thing about AKV is that there is dedicated bus service. If you stay at Kidani Village (the major DVC portion of AKV), the park buses stop there first, so you are essentially guaranteed an empty bus. That was really nice during our stroller days! The return buses from the parks to AKV obviously stop at Kidani first, so you are first off upon return. The return buses are not very crowded, except at the end of the day. My son would always nap in the stroller, so we did not have to worry about going back to the resort for naps. If that is going to be an issue for you, then BLT may be a better option, since you can walk.

You should check out this site to investigate renting points for a DVC stay: http://dvcbyrequest.com/

David is one of the board sponsors and renting points is generally much less costly than staying at a DVC resort through Disney CRO.

The rack rates for the DVC Villas are REALLY expensive!!

You may want to consider staying in one of the family suites at All-Stars Music or Art of Animation, and then visit a bunch of the DVC Villas to get an idea of what each one is like.

Even if you do stay at a Villa, I would still tour a few of the other DVC properties to help you decide on your Home Resort...

AKV and BLT are VERY different - and while BLT does have a better location transportation-wise, AKV is simply AMAZING ...

Good Luck!!

That's exactly what we did before we purchased a DVC resale way back when. Of course, at that time, there were only 2 DVC resorts to tour. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter