Which day should we skip, NYE or NYD?

RobertaMomof2

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! We have decided to go to Disneyland this year while school is out for Winter break. We will have 5 day parkhopper tickets and trying to figure out which day during our stay we should skip the park and relax a bit. We can go to the parks December 27th - January 1st which is a Thursday-Tuesday. Should we skip New Years Eve at the parks? We aren't stay up late kinda people, so hardly ever make it to midnight even when we are home, or do you think New Years Day is more packed in the parks? I am thinking New Years Eve is crazier, but if you all know something I don't please let me know! Been reading Thursday is a good day to go, we could skip Friday-Sunday too and go New Years Eve and New Years Day. We have been during the holidays before so know how crazy busy it is (we take afternoon breaks at the hotel). Just trying to have a strategy in hand for NYE and NYD :) Thanks so much for all the input!!

We went on NYE a few years ago and it was crazy - we could barely walk through the parks. We ended up leaving early b/c it was so crowded. People started waiting for the fireworks very early that day, and unfortunately the fireworks ended up getting cancelled due to wind! :( As much as we love DLR, I don't think we'll ever attempt visiting on NYE again. We left on NYD, but I imagine crowds might be a little better?

Thanks so much to you both.

Mom2rtk - We have never been this time either. We usually go around Christmas but are gone by NYE. We are early birds, so yes on rope drop!!

MSH518 - Thank you! This is what I was thinking... Not mess around with NYE get a good nights rest (maybe catch 9pm fireworks from the spot between DL and DCA and hit the hay early to get up early. THANK YOU!!! Glad my gut was driving me in the right direction (for once).

NYE is notoriously one of the busiest days of the year. Unless you are set/hooked on the idea of ringing in the New Year on Main Street or something, I would skip the parks that day. I have been several times on NYD and things weren't too bad, especially if you get there at rope drop.

Also, I don't know where you're staying, but maybe consider doing one of the character breakfasts in the hotels on NYE to still get a little Disney magic in. Based on your avatar, I'd highly recommend the character breakfast at the PPH :stitch::stitch2:

Thank you Pharmama!! That is a great idea (character breakfast). Was thinking we might hit Downtown Disney that day too and see what they have going as well. After 4 days in the parks it will be nice to sleep in as we tend to get up at 6am to get to the parks early! Maybe hit the hot tub for our feet and rest up. We are staying the Homewood Suites Convention Center so easy walk to the Mickey & Friends Parking lot to shuttle in. SO GLAD I asked. Thanks everyone!

If you are not there for the NYE celebration do NY day at park opening. NYE is the busisiet day but everyone is recovering on the 1st and parks are pretty mellow. By mid day NY day is will be a zoo, but early day is relatively light

Thank you Pharmama!! That is a great idea (character breakfast). Was thinking we might hit Downtown Disney that day too and see what they have going as well. After 4 days in the parks it will be nice to sleep in as we tend to get up at 6am to get to the parks early! Maybe hit the hot tub for our feet and rest up. We are staying the Homewood Suites Convention Center so easy walk to the Mickey & Friends Parking lot to shuttle in. SO GLAD I asked. Thanks everyone!
I think you mean toy story lot.

We went the year before last during that period. We did the New York New Years (at 9) and then headed back to the hotel. The fireworks and countdown are fun but it does get super crowded. They do them at 9 and 12, so you can do the earlier one. New Year’s Day was definitely dead in the morning but got crowded later.

I worked at the park. Avoid new years eve at all costs. It is known as the busiest day in the park of the year. Lots of horror stories from cast members. New Years day probably won't be a lot better except early might be nice.

New Year's Eve is certainly heaving with visitors and it can, particularly as night falls, be difficult to get around as a result. Although people are friendly, there seems to be more of a risk of colliding accidentally with them as a result. My wife and I have visited on New Year's Eve in previous years and haven't enjoyed it as much then. As a couple it is tricky, with children / other adults also in your group can make it very difficult to stay together. By all means go along, but just be aware and make sure your group can stay together and not go wandering off or get lost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!