Whew! Make sure you keep those cancellation numbers!

CindyH

Mouseketeer
Reviewed our credit card bill last night, and noticed 2 charges from a motel in Anaheim. Totally forgot that I made these reservations several months ago, but could have sworn that I cancelled them. :confused3

Called the motel, they don't show any cancellation. Darn it! Went through all my papers (BIG mess!) :sad2: and finally found the cancellation number. Called the manager, and they will reverse the charges. Whew! Thought I was going to have to eat $300 for being careless. :crazy:

Same thing happened to me but even though I had cancellation numbers, I still had to fight to get the charges reversed. Totally turned me off on that particular hotel. Glad it wasn't so difficult for you.

Boy now you have me worried as I had to cancel reservation at a hotel in June due to a change in plans. The person I talked to did not give me a number. Can you tell me what hotel you had the problem with and should I call the hotel back to make sure they cancelled my reservation? We were booked for August. :confused3

grandmotherof10 said:
Boy now you have me worried as I had to cancel reservation at a hotel in June due to a change in plans. The person I talked to did not give me a number. Can you tell me what hotel you had the problem with and should I call the hotel back to make sure they cancelled my reservation? We were booked for August. :confused3

I would call the hotel back and get a confirmation number - most places allow you to cancel up to 24 or 48 hours ahead of time, so you should still be okay. :earsboy:

I did cancel the reservation in June. When I first made the reservation I was given a confirmation number which I still have but when I cancelled the reservation I was not given a cancellation number are they two different numbers? :confused3

grandmotherof10 said:
I did cancel the reservation in June. When I first made the reservation I was given a confirmation number which I still have but when I cancelled the reservation I was not given a cancellation number are they two different numbers? :confused3

If you can't get a cancellation number, then call back and confirm that your reservation was cancelled. Also note the time/day you called, as well as the name of the person you spoke to - that might help if you need to challenge any charges.

Could those that had problems please pot the hotel names so that we know where to avoid?

A varient on the theme:

You make a reservation and hold it with a credit card, but arrive very very late. At the time of check out, you pay with a credit card.

A month later, you find out that you somehow have two charges for the hotel.

The reason this can happen is that at a certain point in the night, some hotels assume you are a no show and they go ahead and authorize a charge (usually for one night) to the card with which you guaranteed the reservation. Then, when you show up and pay, the system they use the next morning to reconcile the two charges is not always perfect and the authorized charge from the night before goes through in addition to your payment the next morning. Depending on the hotel, the risk of this happening can be increased if you use a different card to reserve from the one you use to pay.

This is a very very hard one to get reversed, not because the hotels are necessarily trying to swindle anyone but because it's a very hard situation to make someone understand over the telephone. Bottom line: If you've had a very late arrival (say, after midnight or 1:00 a.m.), check your statement.

cmwade77 said:
Could those that had problems please pot the hotel names so that we know where to avoid?

Well, I didn't post the name originally, since they were so prompt and responsive to reverse the charges. It was the Best Western Anaheim Inn, but again, please note that they were very prompt and responsive.

I don't mind posting the name of mine since they gave me such a hard time. They said I booked online, so I had to deal with the online people, but then the online people said I had to deal with the hotel. Back and forth, finally the online folks sent me a check and said they would deal with the hotel directly.

So I will never stay at Park Vue Inn and will tell anyone who asks to stay away from it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter