Wherein We Answer the Question: Does a Six Year Old Find the Med Magical? - COMPLETE!

The grape pizza was probably my favorite thing at Palo. Really glad people here had mentioned it.

Debarkation and Travel Home

Okseriously, I need to finish this! Two more posts.

Sadly, it was that time: Debarkation. Boo.

My neighbor's alarm was going off at a crazy hour again, so I was awake in plenty of time. Waking DD was hard because she had gone to bed late the night before and she was no happier about getting off the ship. Alas, it had to happen though. We got dressed and put away the last of our things. Our preference is to have breakfast in Cabanas, so we did that. Then we said goodbye.

49A9DF4D-85F8-4AE5-B45B-2AA45AC73B32.jpeg

Our transportation arrived right on time and we headed to the airport. I also hooked into the port wifi to check in again at home.

52F61444-D4C1-4C50-98C0-A905F57E4EB3.jpeg

When we arrived at the Barcelona airport, it was a zoo. The lines were out of control. I actually think multiple ships were arriving that day since I saw other luggage tags on bags around. We got checked in and headed to the security line. It was seriously the longest thing I'd ever seen. Because we still had at least 3 hours, we decided to go downstairs to grab a snack. DD hadn't eaten much breakfast and we weren't sure what the food would be like on the flight.

After hanging out in the food court/shopping area for about 45 minutes, we headed back upstairs. It was completely empty. After that, security and passport control were a breeze.

We paused at the duty free shop to get a couple little gifts to bring back and to get our VAT refund.

0C859FDD-93E4-4942-B486-1E666D3E23E2.jpeg

So much Kinder!

I napped a bit at the gate and grabbed a salad before we boarded. I always feel like I need to eat only vegetables after I cruise.

B2E0FF3E-9A8B-4AB0-86AE-122E27952FF4.jpeg
I loved the little o/v dressing containers. So much better than Ranch.

Then we boarded our flight. It was a direct Barcelona to Chicago. Easy.

F979B2E7-9B93-4672-A233-D4AF6132010D.jpeg

Dinner was good.

AC88D5AB-EC1D-4F8D-ADF7-609E58D8AEEC.jpeg

DD got good sleep.

We ended up spending the night at a Chicago airport hotel. The connection was just too close for comfort to fly back to St Louis that night.

We got back around 10:30 on Sunday morning. It was father's day, so we went out to a nice lunch with DH. We had missed him a lot.

Then it was home for unpacking, laundry, etc.

By 4:00, DD looked like this.

DC9FF132-341F-40E2-A1A7-605DDB52D86A.jpeg

I'd say it took about 3 days for me to completely adjust back to St Louis time. I was really glad I hadn't signed DD up for camp that week so she could reacclimate as well.

Sadly, our countdown was still alarmingly large the day we debarked.

9B4669C2-941E-4406-89AB-E9B1F5257B3D.jpeg

Next Up: Overall Reflections

Reflections

I'm going to go through the reflections I wrote up immediately after the trip and then add a few that I've come to realize since then.

Travel and Barcelona
  • Pick your flights carefully. I researched the actual planned scheduled to fly and it really pays off in terms of seats and comfort. Also be sure to check alternate airports because you might save big!
  • In seat entertainment is still lots of fun.
  • Bring a sleeping mask for the plane.
  • Limit napping when you arrive to get yourself on schedule ASAP.
  • I love AirBnB!
  • Even though taxis may be cheaper, we still prefer to pre arrange.
  • Barcelona is amazing. I want to go back.
  • I need more than 3 days to see it all.
  • Sagrada Familia is amazing but we liked casa Batlló more.
  • Barcelona port is super easy and they have free WiFi!
Cruise Ports
  • Watch the weather but be prepared.
  • Pompeii is SO hot even when the temps aren't super high.
  • Break in your shoes before you travel.
  • Pack good socks too. Wicking fabric and watch support make a big difference.
  • You'll read lots of disdain for sneakers, but I found it over stated. Lots of people were wearing lots of comfortable shoes.
The Magic
  • There were not many actual characters on this sailing.
  • The shows on the Magic are great!
  • The Goofy pool is really basic but it is easy to watch movies in it.
Overall

I am so glad we went. DD had an amazing time and still talks about what she saw and experienced. That said, we were tired. And we didn't even go that hard! I can't imagine fill day excursions at every port leaving much room for fun. Immediately after, I said that Alaska was still my favorite trip.

Recent Additions

I still will say that this was not my favorite cruise. I LOVED showing Europe to DD. We had lots of fun. But the Disney piece just did not live up to my expectations. Our servers were very good but not amazing. The double show thing was really annoying. Darren kind of ruined several things we love about cruising Disney. His morning shows were dry and unengaging. DD almost refused to watch them. He started every show by lecturing everyone on how evil private tours were. Don't get me started on his incessant preaching about choice rather than actually listening to what I was saying as a guest. And DD was very disappointed in how few characters were available. There were a decent number of meeting times, but very little variety.

I'm not ready to write off Disney. I'd say there is still more we liked than didn't like. We've got another cruise on the Magic scheduled in March, so I hope we have a new CD and a better experience. The ship itself is great and I might be getting to the point where I prefer the classics. Maybe. We've got the fantasy next June though and I hope we finally get to play midship detective agency.

For now though, I'm still so happy we took the trip and I have lived reliving all the memories. Feel free to ask questions if you have them. I'll stay subscribed so I'll get notified if you ask.

Happy sailing and thanks for reading!

C3DA41A9-176A-4389-898C-3A8FD4792C45.jpeg
Sheesh, over 100 days to write.

Wow, can't believe it's over!!! I'm sorry to hear you weren't feeling well on your last sea day but I'm glad you opted to go to the medical centre, sounds like they took good care of you and it didn't interfere with your last day!

Ah, disembarkation. ALWAYS a sad time :sad:

I'm sorry this wasn't the best cruise though, in terms of service and whatnot. I don't think we've ever sailed with Darren as the CD before,but I'll be sure to look out for him in future and not have high expectations! Sounds like maybe he's ready to move on.....

Yay for the next countdown!!!:thumbsup2:cheer2::boat:

Thanks for the awesome trip report! It was a lot of fun reading along. Are you going to do another trip report for your next cruise?

Pompeii Archeological Site

We booked a private tour for Pompeii using a company that specializes in tours for kids.

https://italytoursforkids.com/pompeiitourforkids.html

We were scheduled to meet our driver at 8:30. We ordered room service for breakfast: cereal for DD, croissant and coffee for me, and some fruit.

View attachment 340201

Then we were off. I made sure I packed our cooling towels and water.

Our driver was waiting right outside the gates with a sign. Super easy. DD was a little tired, so she rested on the drive. To be fair, after seeing Vesuvius, there wasn't much to see since Naples is very industrial.

View attachment 340202

When we arrived by the ruins, we stopped to buy a bottle of wine that our driver kept for us during our tour. We met our guide and got in line for tickets. The ticket windows weren't open yet so we had to wait a bit. Not bad though. DD had to wait in the line though so the ticket seller could see she was really a kid who got in for free. She was really good about it though.

View attachment 340203

Then we started our tour. We started by talking about Pompeii's history, economy, etc.

View attachment 340198

We also talked about the previous volcanic eruption as well as how long it took archeologists to even find Pompeii.

Then we headed into the main area. The city is huge! Looking at the map, you could see why it would take weeks to really see everything.

Out first stop was the Pompeii coliseum.

View attachment 340199

We also saw the cells where gladiators were kept.

Then we went to the smaller amphitheatre.

View attachment 340206

In there, we played with the accoustics. Our guide showed DD how to clap and hear the sound echo back. Once she learned this, it became a regular practice for the rest of our trip.

Then we moved to the main theater. The number of people who could sit in that theater is one way that archeologists estimate the population of Pompeii. Since the seats were numbered, they had a pretty good guess.

View attachment 340204

The space for each seat was tiny. Apparently Romans were very small.

We exited the top of the theater and started walking through the actual town.

View attachment 340209

I'm not going to share pictures of every little thing, but it was so fascinating. We learned how to tell the difference between a business and a house. We saw a variety of businesses including a lunch counter type restaurant and a laundry (they cleaned clothes with urine!) We also saw old political posters and a section of the ruins currently being excavated!

It was funny for our guide to show us grafitti on the walls though. Teenagers, it seems, have been the same throughout time.
View attachment 340208

My decision for breakfast was a problem here. Cereal just was not enough for DD and her hunger combined with the heat to create a small metldown.

There are also dogs in Pompeii. We were told not to let them, but they were clearly comfortable and well fed.

View attachment 340211

Next up: Pompeii, Naples, and back on board

This is a fabulous trip report. I also have a 5 year old we are taking on the med cruise. I'm looking at that Italy tours for kids site and not finding prices though, looks like you have to send them a request for a quote? Is that correct?

This is a fabulous trip report. I also have a 5 year old we are taking on the med cruise. I'm looking at that Italy tours for kids site and not finding prices though, looks like you have to send them a request for a quote? Is that correct?
Thanks! Yes that's correct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!