• Portofino Bay

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Hard Rock

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

smiths02

DIS Veteran
So just for fun...
(Yes, I am doing my own research and we will have a family discussion and make final decision when/if APH rates come out)
We are a family of 5-me, DH, 13 year old boy, 7 year old boy, 7 year old girl
Going in February 2020 (so pool may be less of a factor)
We stayed at Portofino Bay in April and LOVED it (did get spoiled with upgrade to a Deluxe room with a patio). We enjoyed restaurants at Portofino and The Palm at HRH
We are booked at Portofino Bay currently, but we are getting worried about construction
Price for all is currently within $200 of each other (least to most-Portofino, HRH, RPR)
Our theme preference is probably Portofino, RPR, HRH

So where would you stay and why?

Just how tight are the rooms at RPR?

RPR rooms would definitely be tight with 5.
You didn't say how long you were going to be there but with a family of five - assuming you are not upgrading to a suite - I would book a deluxe queen at HRH...larger rooms with 2 queen beds plus a sleeper sofa - no cots needed!

Agree with the above - the Deluxe queen at HRH would be my choice, we alternate between HRH and PBH ourselves. We stayed at RP once and it just wasn't for us- much smaller rooms and no real "grab and go" food options.

At HRH we like the option to walk the parks and there seems to be more room, probably due to the sofa bed and the bathroom layout.

The standard room at RPH is 335 sqft, HRH is 375 sqft and PBH is 450 sqft. With 5 of you, I'd go with the Portofino for not only space, but having 3 pools to choose from. And yes, I know you can use the pools at the other hotels, but it is a lot easier going to the pool at your own hotel.

It's HRH all the way for us!

We stayed at PBH and it was so quiet. We were there 2 weeks after HP opened in IOA and it was still so quiet.

HRH is more of our vibe. Love the pool, cabana's, eateries and how close it it to walk to the parks. 3-5min was to US, is such a plus for us. The only negative for us is the shelving option in the bathrooms, there are only slotted shelves. No real stuff to place in side the bathroom. I started bringing pop-up squares to hold our stuff in there.

When we stayed at PBH, we took the rickshaw everyday. We just seemed to miss the boats or they were already full. It's just too hot for us in July to walk the long path.

Hi
We stayed in HRH in a deluxe room with a family of 5 (kids ages 7, 12, 14). We chose HRH due to its proximity to the parks and having a water slide. The room was a great size (2 beds and full size pull out sofa) with plenty of room to move around even with the bed pulled out.

Just to clarify the HRH deluxe queen I mentioned above is 500 sq feet - with 2 queens and a sofa bed.
The pp mentioned a PBH deluxe queen at 490 sq feet with 2 queens (no daybed) and they would need a cot (rollaway) at $35 per night for their family of 5.

In February pools may be less of a factor - for us the short walk to the park and the resort amenities put HRH way above RPH and on par with RPH. Since the OP is concerned about construction at PBH it might be a great time for them to try HRH.

Last edited:

The big downside to HRH is the pool. My kids hated the fact that it was so shallow all over. Since you are going in February and the pool wont be a factor, i'd pick HRH. We liked everything else about it the best.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Still mulling it over. AP rates not released for our dates yet, so still hoping a pricing difference will help make the decision easier.

Kids and I are advocating for switching to HRH. DH just doesn't love the theme, I think he is preferring that Italian or tropical oasis feel.
I think 335 seems too tight. I think DH is underestimating just how much time we might be in the room over a week in Feb...especially compared to the deluxe PBH room we had last time with a patio.
Maybe we can get a good deal at PBH to make up for the construction? (Once AP rates come out). Or maybe we could get RPR club level at a good rate and there would be places for us to spread out. Maybe we can push more for HRH as it would let us be across the road from PBH so we could still visit there. We shall see

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!