Where would you stay (thinking of adding on)

carli_h

Mouseketeer
We bought into the Riviera a few months ago and are coming up to the 7 month mark of our first visit home (we’re from the UK). We are planning to do a split stay to decide where else we would like to add on resales.

We have decided against sleep around points and have visited CCV, AKL, BLT, VGF and Poly but not stayed at any.

As we have an Epcot resort we are interested in a MK or AK resort. My husband has ruled out poly as our preference is 1 beds as we have 2 kids (7 and 5) and CCV just wasn’t for us.

We need some help please. We will be staying for 2 weeks and I was thinking we should try 2 DVC resorts in addition to Riviera. I know it is personal choice but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I understand that the choice could be taken from us depending on availability.

Thanks!

If you like 1BRs, BLT or AKV really are the two that shine with the bath setups. The chance (not guaranteed, natch) to book Value at AKV and Standard at BLT and conserve points is also sweet.

We bought 200 OKW in 2006 as a sleep around resort and OKW itself was our least fave. Then we added 75 HHI after using OKW points to stay there one July and having trouble booking at 7 months. We added on 50 more HHI the following year. Then we tried to add 88 more HHI but the sellers cancelled the sale while it was in ROFR so we went back to drawing board and did an impulse buy of 100 AKV (we wanted more HHI but wanted same UY and 75-100 points...no HHI matched that so we did the spur of the moment bid on 100 AKV as SIL owned there too and was about to book a family Xmas trip at AKV). While we enjoyed AKV we found we did not need to own there to book it. Could get it at 7 months out. And we also realized we liked it for split stay trips once in a while...not a whole week trip there and not frequently. So we resold the AKV after about 2.5 years of owning and sold for profit (bought at $65 and sold at $80).

Out kids were 7, 7 and 9 when we bought in (2006). Our first use of our DVC was at BWV. That became a fave of ours. Maybe nostalgia but maybe location. In 2013, DH and I left the kids at home and did a 3 night F&W trip (at BLT) and fell in love with F&W. So then we added on 55, then 25, then 25 again and then 150 BWV points (255 total).

Another impulse buy for me was CCV last year. Added 70 there and it's really not enough but the price is just too much to add more. Plus we just resold our OKW points. So we're holding with what we have. I like the CCV for Dec trips. I like the HHI for anytime (we love it there and it;s only 5 hours away so we can go a couple times a year). ANd we LOVE our BWV. Love our F&W and F&G festivals. Another place we also love is SSR. BUt our kids are all 20-somethings now as are my SIL's kids. So we all go to eat and drink and MK is last on our list to visit. So we like bopping in and out of Epcot and DS. We took DDs-20 to BLT in March for a week (their 20th Bday) and it didn't do it for us. Too many littles and strollers. And, again, MK is not our thing anymore.

SO we aim to book BWV, BCV, AKV and SSR...and HHI of course. CCV will have to bank and borrow in a few years to stay in Dec for a couple nights (used 3 years of points already for a trip this Dec at AKV in a 3BR GV, had a CCV cabin booked but it is only a 2BR and we have 4 college girls and 4 adults on this trip so we opted for the extra bedroom).

MAybe try out BCV and or BLT. Your kids are young and prob still dig the MK. Friends of ours have younger kids and they LOVE the BLT. Studios are cruise ship cabin size there so you need a 1BR or 2BR. We had a 1BR in MArch and it was a really nice room. But it's a loud and busy resort with all the kids as is the Poly. We did the Poly like 2 years ago with our 2 DDs as well and one of them LOVED it. That is a great studio layout but another noisy busy resort.

I would just list the ones in order from toughest to get to easiest and go down that list. We bought resale in 2006. Closed in May. And We intended to book late September and go for BCV first, then BWV (in a 2BR). The BCV was booked so we did BWV. I think we had VWL next on the list. No intentions of booking our home of OKW. In fact we didn't try that out until 3 years after buying.

If you like 1BRs, BLT or AKV really are the two that shine with the bath setups. The chance (not guaranteed, natch) to book Value at AKV and Standard at BLT and conserve points is also sweet.
Good point. AKV Kidani has the 1BR with extra bath so the 1BR value at Jambo would not. I don't think the value has the sleeper chair (as well as sleeper sofa that other 1BR categories have). BLT has the extra bath and sleeper chair as well as sofa.

ALso wanted to add that preferences change as the kids age. Initially we liked MK and HS and now we're Epcot and DS folks with AK being next place we like to spend time. Kids loved the pool time when we first bought but around age 13...never went back to the pool. Our first stay at BCV was in 2013 as that was THE time I could finally get it at 7 months and the kids had zero interest in the pool at 14, 14 and 16. MAybe I will ask them their faves now and see what they say...
Years back, around 2008, DH and DS preferred VWL while DDs and I preferred BWV.

Good point. AKV Kidani has the 1BR with extra bath so the 1BR value at Jambo would not. I don't think the value has the sleeper chair (as well as sleeper sofa that other 1BR categories have). BLT has the extra bath and sleeper chair as well as sofa.

True about the Value (bath/sleeper), but I am also assuming that they'd only score Value about 1/5 of the time anyway if that were an interest.

True about the Value (bath/sleeper), but I am also assuming that they'd only score Value about 1/5 of the time anyway if that were an interest.
ANd even better, if they own AKV, is the club level. When we owned for 2.5 years I had it booked once and then our friends (who we were vacationing with) needed to switch weeks so we had to give it up. I wanted that club level soooo sooooo badly. SIL still owns there so maybe someday.

We bought into the Riviera a few months ago and are coming up to the 7 month mark of our first visit home (we’re from the UK). We are planning to do a split stay to decide where else we would like to add on resales.

We have decided against sleep around points and have visited CCV, AKL, BLT, VGF and Poly but not stayed at any.

As we have an Epcot resort we are interested in a MK or AK resort. My husband has ruled out poly as our preference is 1 beds as we have 2 kids (7 and 5) and CCV just wasn’t for us.

We need some help please. We will be staying for 2 weeks and I was thinking we should try 2 DVC resorts in addition to Riviera. I know it is personal choice but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I understand that the choice could be taken from us depending on availability.

Thanks!
Based on your apparent wishes, I believe you've already narrowed your list fairly well.
MK - BLT, VGF, Poly, CCV, BRV
AK - Honestly, only AKL

Let's see, you didn't like Poly due to the only options being studio or bungalow. I agree. Nice resort but we too often want a 1BR and sometimes a 2BR that doesn't require mega points. You also visited CCV, BLT, and VGF, so at least you're familiar with them a little. Same with AKL.
VGF: Lovely but among the most expensive when it comes to points. To conserve points, I'd likely not buy there. It is convenient to a lot of restaurants, and it's the second best-decorated resort during the holidays.
BLT: Great locale. Rooms are a bit tighter than most, but the 1BRs have that extra bath. While a bit busier than, say, the Wilderness Lodge, it's not obnoxious and it's very convenient to not only MK but monorail locations.
AKL: Seems like it's far removed from things, but we didn't find it that bad. It also has 2 baths in the 1BRs in the Kidani section. Gorgeously appointed and savannah views make this a wonderful resort.
CCV/BRV: Beautiful resort and best decorated of them all during holidays. For some, the older DVC property, BRV (what I prefer to call by its older name, VWL) is too dark, though they lightened the rooms quite a bit during a refurb a few years back. Very quiet. Easy access to MK. Soon will be a new resort nearby--Reflections. CCV is newer and in the main Lodge so a bit more convenient. However, they do not have an extra bath in the 1BRs, and I'm not a fan of the shotgun style kitchen.

So, for your needs, based on what I've read and intuit, I'd do my other nights at BLT and either CCV or BRV. For BLT, you'll experience the closeness to MK, the monorail, and access to restaurants off the monorail, and all for less points than VGF which offers similar advantages.You can also see how much you love having the extra bathroom. For either CCV/BRV, since they don't have an extra bathroom, you can get a feel for those style rooms, as well as the majestic nature of the theming which AKV has, as well, which isn't surprising given that the same architect, Peter Dominick, designed both. The only thing those two suggestions don't cover in your wish list is AK proximity, but that's going to be so even if you stay at AKL.

Have fun deciding!

Thank you for the thought provoking posts. I think we now know where we should be staying. We know we love VGF. We don’t know if BLT or AKL will work for us so makes sense to try!

I would love to buy into BWV or BCV but we cannot justify a 2042 resort. BWV was by far my favourite resort we visited. We will definitely be spending time on the boardwalk on our next visit!

We just stayed at AKL Club level and I think a studio is about 110pts in Dream season for 5 nights, not sure on 1br. We love the vibe and people at the hotel and found the buses pretty good. Jiko was great, book it late on and you have the restaurant to yourself

Thank you for the thought provoking posts. I think we now know where we should be staying. We know we love VGF. We don’t know if BLT or AKL will work for us so makes sense to try!

I would love to buy into BWV or BCV but we cannot justify a 2042 resort. BWV was by far my favourite resort we visited. We will definitely be spending time on the boardwalk on our next visit!

I would have voted that for the scouting trip you should try AKV and BLT. :thumbsup2

Of course then there's deciding on the category to try. :) At AKV I'd recommend to go for the savannah view. Then the question is Kidani or Jambo. (It never stops at some resorts!) I think I'd suggest Jambo. The room layout is different than Kidani but Kidani 1BR's are very similar to BLT so you'll get an idea about that room layout without staying at Kidani and you can check out Jambo. Jambo is busier and the DVC rooms are all on the 5th floor. Kidani is a bit more laid back with larger villas and savanna views on all floors. If one sounds better than the other check it out but you can visit either of them and use the facilities at either of them while staying there. At BLT I think I'd recommend going with the lakeview category and request an even numbered room. There's a bit of a difference between the even numbered - ie outside of the C rooms and the odd numbered - ie inside of the C rooms. The even numbered gives a little bit more space in the living room which is why I suggest it.

Last edited:
My favorite Disney resort is Animal Kingdom. I have contracts at Poly and BLT, but I have most of my points at Animal Kingdom, including 1 contract at both Kidani and Jambo

I think Animal Kingdom lodges are truly unique and magical. Disney has really created something special. The points at Animal Kingdom don't ususally cost that much more than SSR and OKW, but they will expire in 38 years, and I think AKL is much more fun than either of those places.

Kidani almost always has good availability at the 7 month window, so you should be able to book there.

I would have voted that for the scouting trip you should try AKV and BLT. :thumbsup2

Of course then there's deciding on the category to try. :) At AKV I'd recommend to go for the savannah view. Then the question is Kidani or Jambo. (It never stops at some resorts!) I think I'd suggest Jambo. The room layout is different than Kidani but Kidani 1BR's are very similar to BLT so you'll get an idea about that room layout without staying at Kidani and you can check out Jambo. Jambo is busier and the DVC rooms are all on the 5th floor. Kidani is a bit more laid back with larger villas and savanna views on all floors. If one sounds better than the other check it out but you can visit either of them and use the facilities at either of them while staying there. At BLT I think I'd recommend going with the lakeview category and request an even numbered room. There's a bit of a difference between the even numbered - ie outside of the C rooms and the odd numbered - ie inside of the C rooms. The even numbered gives a little bit more space in the living room which is why I suggest it.

This is really useful information- thank you!

I have been leaning towards Jambo if there is availability. I think the kids would enjoy it more. The only think that puts me off was all the drumming and the loooong corridors which I am yet to experience.

For AKV, what I always do is...if it's just DH and I or if we want a studio, I go Jambo. If more than 2 of us and we are getting a 1BR, I go Kidani because they have the extra bathrooms.

BLT...we had lake view the 2 times we stayed there. Once was a studio and I requested near the Skyway Bridge (that connects to CR). We got the very first studio off the bridge and it was outside C. It was a VERY noisy location. The fireworks soundtrack gets piped in to that bridge at night. They do movies under the stars below and the eletrical water pageant goes by at night. And it was close to CR and the boat dock so you could hear the horns.

Second time there in a 1BR lake view I requested inside C and top floor. We got 1 floor below TOTWL. It was more quiet. Could still hear that dumb electrical water pageant. But we had a unique room in that the laundry was a full walk in room with tons of shelving. I got my owner's locker and unpacked it in there on the shelves and stored the bin in there. It was nice. The room layout was awesome. Two bathrooms so DDs-20 had their own. One DD slept on sleeper sofa and one on sleeper chair. Loved it.

BUT...all the furnishing are cheap and falling apart. Couldn't open drawers to put clothes in as they were falling apart. The finish was all banged up on everything too. Had trouble, even, opening and closing the laundry room door as it rubbed across washer. And then the monorail always has loads of opened strollers so it's tough to get in and seated. The whole CR resort is packed with strollers. Takes forever to get anywhere other than MK.

We've never had an issue with the furnishings at BLT beyond a couple of chips on the table in a studio. I know people have complained about the furnishings there from the start but it's something we've never actually run into. Every room has the possibility for damage - my worst has been at BC on the hotel side.

AK, you can't go wrong. Lots of rooms, very reasonable resale market and a deed that takes you out till 2057.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!