Where to stop for groceries

slp87

DIS Veteran
What grocery store is the easier to get to when coming from the airport to WDW? We're wanting to stop at a Publix or Albertson's.

I think they have a grocery store at the Cross Roads of the World....

Can somebody back me up!

Disnee Dad says................................................ There is a Publix somewhere on the way to WDW but I'm not sure where it is because we went in a towncar and the stop was included. It was much cheaper than Goodings, which is the store at Crossroads that we drove to on our first trip. If you plan on buying more than 10 or 15 bucks worth of stuff, go to Publix. Goodings is about 30% higher, especially on the items tourists tend to buy, like soda, chips, cereal, beer,milk and snacks.

Publix! I love this supermarket. It is on 192 about 5-10 minutes outside of WDW. I've never tried Googings so I can't compare. Water is about $2 for a sixpack of bottles, can't beat that at WDW!
If you need further directions, just ask.

Thanks everyone! I've looked both stores up on their websites and gotten maps and directions!

The closest supermarket is Goodings in Lake Buena Vista. This is owned by
Winn Dixie. It is 24 hours and is always busy. It is stocked very well. You can get there by turning north on 535 off of I-4 at the LBV exit.

There is a Publix on Sand Lake Road between I-4 and SR 535. It is about 15 minutes away.

My personal favorite is the Publix at 192 and 535. It is the biggest Publix I've ever seen! It is always busy, well stocked, but expensive! Best of all, they definitely sell packages of food for folks on vacation. They easily cater to vacationers. There are 3 ways to get there. Turn south on 535 off I-4 or turn south on 192 off I-4 or if you're in the World get on the Osceola Parkway. Take the Parkway to SR535 and go south about 1/4 mile. It takes only about 10 minutes to get here from the world. You'll also go past the new Orlando Opryland Hotel which is being built - what a HUGE resort!!

My vote is for Goodings! It is very convenient being right outside of Downtown Disney ( so it is easy to find your way back) and they are open 24 hrs. Very good stock of fruit which I try to bring for those long park treks!

Krista :)

Disney rules say you aren't allowed to bring food into the parks. Now that they are checking backpacks is this being enforced?

I was just at the parks 2 weekends ago and they did not say anything about the fruit and crackers in my small backpack I carry. I don't have kids either. The security are just going thru the bags for anything suspicious. They did not seem to waste any time because I am sure they are told not to inconvenience people TOO much. One guard told me he just need to be able to see to the bottom of the bags. You should have no problems.

Krista
Going back Oct 26!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

I've shopped at both the Publix and Goodings....I find that both are very easy to get to if you have your own car. Goodings is by far the most expensive! I was amazed at how much things cost there. As far as I was concerned, I might as well have bought the groceries at the FW Trading Post (we were staying at the Wilderness Cabins at the time....) IMO, Publix has better selection (just a much larger store to begin with....) and MUCH better prices.

One thing that Goodings has going for it....the guy who bagged our groceries also pushed the cart to the car and put our bags in the trunk for us. Of course, DH said for what we paid he should have come back to the cabin with us, unloaded the groceries and cooked our dinner too!:p

they have some unbelievable deserts. But I have to agree, they are expensive, just not quite as expensive as Disney. Water isn't 2.00 a bottle.

A tip I read (I can't remember where) was to order groceries ahead of time from www.netgrocers.com and have it delivered to your room the day you arrive. Has anyone done this? We're in April and are staying at BWV.

1979 - MK
1984 - EC
2002 - WDW

:wave:

There are a couple of Walmart stores that you may find worth investigating for groceries. One on Sandlake Rd, couple of miles from Florida Mall (Convenient for International Drive) and one one Highway 192 in Kissimme. They both have large grocery departments that have all you could want at good prices (At least from an Englishman's Point of view)

I have shopped at both publix and goodings and both were expensive compared to here in Virginia. I have shopped at Albertsons but that was in Louisiana so cant compare that one. Since we are driving down we are also taking most of our own food with us hopefully we can save some change on food. We have 16 going down and to eat from one of those stores could ruin our vacation. We have 4 cars going down so we have plenty of room. hope everyone have a wondeful vacation. 33 days to go!!!!!!!!!

We stopped at the Super Walmart on Hwy 192 in Kissimme on our way from the airport to WDW. Not only did we get our groceries there, but also bought our Disney Park Hopper Passes at the travel agency that they have in- store there. We saved a total of $74.56 on 4, 6 day park hopper plus passes. Their phone number is 800-669-0913. Thanks to Mousesavers for this tip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter